Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone XR remained the best-selling iPhone model in the United States in the first quarter of 2019, as it was in the fourth quarter of 2018, according to a survey conducted by research firm CIRP and provided to MacRumors.

iphone-xr-colors-splash-800x451.jpg

The research firm found that the iPhone XR accounted for 38 percent of U.S. iPhone sales during the quarter, ahead of the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max with a combined 21 percent of sales during the three-month period.

If accurate, the data is rather unsurprising, as the iPhone XR has the lowest price of the three new iPhones that Apple released in late 2018. The colorful handset starts at $749, compared to $999 for the iPhone XS and $1,099 for the iPhone XS Max, with many reviews labeling it the "best iPhone for the money."

Moreover, in January, Apple CEO Tim Cook confirmed that the iPhone XR was the most popular iPhone every day since it launched.

cirp-iphone-mix-q2-2019.jpg

CIRP co-founder Josh Lowitz:
iPhone XR continues to dominate US iPhone sales. It remains the best-selling individual model again this quarter, after launch early in the December 2018 quarter. In the US, the newest iPhone models sold about as well as the newest models a year ago, at about 60% of total sales. Based on these trends, we estimate an Average Selling Price of around $800, a decrease from the previous quarter.
The usual caveats apply, including that Apple no longer discloses iPhone unit sales, nor has it ever provided a model-by-model breakdown of iPhone sales. CIRP bases its findings on a rather small survey of 500 customers.

Article Link: Survey Finds iPhone XR Remained Best-Selling iPhone Model Last Quarter in United States

Bin Cook

Suspended
Jun 16, 2018
Still £100 too expensive and FaceID is pretty rubbish compared to TouchID (not a comment on security but the reliability of access).

And my XR is now falling apart around the camera housing despite being in a silicone case inside a shock sock since purchase in October and never dropped. And this is the replacement for the first which also had camera housing protruding from the case. Every poxy Phone I get has some persistent issue - I'm either the world's unluckiest Apple customer or most people accept any old crap production quality.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
It's an awesome phone. We have hundreds of them deployed, and business users LOVE the battery life. It's far more important in Enterprise than an OLED screen or more camera features. I have been pleasantly surprised by the feedback so far. Seems to please both the iPhone 8 size, and iPhone 8 Plus size users too.

Last edited by a moderator:

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I'm still trying to push my parents to the XR, my dad in particular, with his 45+ years of electrical and general contracting "finger prints."

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
I don't understand the concept of sales figures being arrived at via surveys. May as well ask fortune tellers to pick winning lottery numbers.

Familiarizing yourself with statistical analysis would go a long way in clarifying your misunderstanding.
[doublepost=1556116150][/doublepost]
Still £100 too expensive and FaceID is pretty rubbish compared to TouchID (not a comment on security but the reliability of access).

And my XR is now falling apart around the camera housing despite being in a silicone case inside a shock sock since purchase in October and never dropped. And this is the replacement for the first which also had camera housing protruding from the case. Every poxy Phone I get has some persistent issue - I'm either the world's unluckiest Apple customer or most people accept any old crap production quality.

The logical fallacy in your statement is that two bad phones in a row doesn't mean that all of them are manufactured poorly.

Last edited by a moderator:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
One (if not, THE best) of Apple's best bang for buck iPhone ever, with the best battery life ever (imho)
I don’t think it’s the “best bang for buck iPhone ever” by any stretch of the imagination. Yes it’s a decent phone but it’s really only the best bang for the buck for the 2018 models.

The problem is that Apple’s flagship 2018 phones are horrendously priced. The XR is priced like how the flagship iPhones used to be priced.

Last edited:

unchecked

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
One (if not, THE best) of Apple's best bang for buck iPhone ever, with the best battery life ever (imho)

Not to forget it’s also one of the least innovative and not at the bleeding edge of technology. They just needed to get the basics like battery life right.

Reactions: Kris28 and aylk

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Not to forget it’s also one of the least innovative and not at the bleeding edge of technology. They just needed to get the basics like battery life right.

Considering the XR actually shares almost identical features to the XS with wireless charging, true tone, stereo speakers, Face ID, the same A12 processor, so what ‘bleeding edge’ technology are you talking about that the consumer would care about that the other iPhone models has over the XR? (And I doubt it’s the OLED panel, 3D Touch and dual camera.)

audiophilosophy

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
New Orleans
I love my XR, and I think all the bad press it got last fall was essentially click bait. The three differences between the XR and XS are RAM, screen, and camera lenses. With all three, the vast majority of people won’t notice a difference in quality or performance with all three areas. Compare (in person, not on a specs sheet) an XR screen side by side with an XS. They’re basically identical. Same for the photo quality with the one exception of the XS having slightly better portrait mode photos.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It’s funny but after carrying around the XS Max for a week, followed by a Pixel 3XL and a Samsung S10+, my Xr is my smaller pocket friendly phone. :p

Really.

The flat display makes it easy to protect and I’ve got a thin but strong Caudabe case on it. It’s also proven quite sturdy on its own and so it is the only one of my 3 main phones I can still easily keep in a pocket. So that’s part of the reason why it has kept the job of being my main phone that’s always on me, even though I do prefer the features, flexibility, light weight and somewhat better cameras of my Android phones.

I’ve found it to be well made and a good all -arounder.

I look forward to upgrading to a dual lens version this year if they offer one. I hope they keep the same cheerful color palette and perhaps add a green one.

powerboy123

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2015

Apple is finding out what the threshold cost people will pay for "features". $750 vs. $1100 for an Xs - that seems to be the point of pain for a LOT of buyers. For what you get vs. a Samsung model.. its not really a deal. But if Apple is what you want, you really don't have much choice- going back to 1985.

Adam Warlock

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2016
Familiarizing yourself with statistical analysis would go a long way in clarifying your misunderstanding.
LMAO! I'm familiar with it enough to know that most self-proclaimed practitioners are--quite evidently given the results--even less familiar with it than I, and aren't very good at it as a consequence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.