Survey: Scissors as floss in UK

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
LONDON, England (Reuters) -- More than 60 percent of Britons use items such as screwdrivers, scissors and earrings to remove food from between their teeth, according to a survey published on Friday.

The National Dental Survey found that, when it came to oral hygiene, people used whatever was close to hand to pick their teeth.

More than 60 percent questioned by the British Dental Health Foundation said they used makeshift items, including knives, keys, needles and forks.

The survey also found that 23 percent of people chose to leave food stuck between their teeth, increasing the risk of gum disease and bad breath, according to the foundation which promotes oral health.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Sometimes I weep for the stupidity of my countrymen. The scariest thing about this is those in Britain with the worst teeth are those that never see a dentist, so this is the top 80% or so that are being surveyed :eek: . I laughed myself silly when I read this on the BBC website though.

Screwdrivers :D

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
skunk said:
Belt sander. It's the only way. Hammers and chisels are for wusses.
I hear what you're saying, but I find the chisel much better for cleaning the recesses between my teeth and for reaching those difficult, hard-to-reach spots at the back of my mouth.

A belt sander is great if you're in a hurry, mind, and you want to give your teeth a quick clean.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
liketom said:
brushing teeth are for wimps

get them all extracted and put falsens in :D
Meh, who needs teeth anyway? Just liquidise all your food :D <-- need to change that smiley to have no teeth!

UKnjb

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2005
London, UK
max_altitude said:
What's so wrong with a toothpick? :confused: :D
Because it's neither a belt sander, hammer and chisel or any other 'manly' thing. Keep up! :) Don't be confused! :) it's how we do things here, lad, like walking 20 miles to school with only half a clog on and eating a parsnip every other day for dinner (if your parents can afford it). :)

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
UKnjb said:
Because it's neither a belt sander, hammer and chisel or any other 'manly' thing. Keep up! :) Don't be confused! :) it's how we do things here, lad, like walking 20 miles to school with only half a clog on and eating a parsnip every other day for dinner (if your parents can afford it). :)
I was actually considering coming to live in London...until now! :p

UKnjb

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2005
London, UK
max_altitude said:
I was actually considering coming to live in London...until now! :p
Eh lad ---- Lunnon's for girlies and them people wiv teeth and other fancy stoof. As long as ye can do yer stint in the mine for 22 hours and coom oop ready to sink a few barrels of sulphuric acid to wash the dust out of yer throat, yer'll be reet welcome 'ere lad! An' bring some spare gnashers with yer. :)

iGary said:
LONDON, England (Reuters) -- More than 60 percent of Britons use items such as screwdrivers, scissors and earrings to remove food from between their teeth, according to a survey published on Friday.

The National Dental Survey found that, when it came to oral hygiene, people used whatever was close to hand to pick their teeth.

More than 60 percent questioned by the British Dental Health Foundation said they used makeshift items, including knives, keys, needles and forks.

The survey also found that 23 percent of people chose to leave food stuck between their teeth, increasing the risk of gum disease and bad breath, according to the foundation which promotes oral health.
Sadly, not a big surprise.

Applespider

macrumors G4
liketom said:
brushing teeth are for wimps

get them all extracted and put falsens in :D
Alarmingly, within living memory this was the route of choice. People were 'given' as gifts for their birthdays a trip to the dentist to remove all their teeth and get false ones. It was seen as a good thing since avoided future costly trips and all the potential problems with toothache. :eek:

I have floss at home with a cute little Alessi dispenser but don't tend to carry it around with me. If I think there's something stuck in my tooth and there's no toothpick handy, I tend to excuse myself and use a fingernail (since they're relatively long) to try to dislodge it. The idea of screwdrivers or floss seems a little bizarre... surely even a metal nail file would be a better idea?

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
Applespider said:
The idea of screwdrivers or floss seems a little bizarre... surely even a metal nail file would be a better idea?
I'm guessing that the people who said screwdrivers were men. A man is more likely to carry a screwdriver than a nail file :p

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Applespider said:
Alarmingly, within living memory this was the route of choice. People were 'given' as gifts for their birthdays a trip to the dentist to remove all their teeth and get false ones. It was seen as a good thing since avoided future costly trips and all the potential problems with toothache. :eek:
Man nan had that done... all of them ripped out when she was young. :eek:

My old boss had a similar thing done... he had all of his removed, and fancy ones screwed back in for that perfect smile. :D He came into work after having them all removed and his mouth was a right bloody mess, then the next week he had a perfect set of gnashers. :D

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
UKnjb said:
You were lucky!

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
UKnjb said:
Eh lad ---- Lunnon's for girlies and them people wiv teeth and other fancy stoof. As long as ye can do yer stint in the mine for 22 hours and coom oop ready to sink a few barrels of sulphuric acid to wash the dust out of yer throat, yer'll be reet welcome 'ere lad! An' bring some spare gnashers with yer. :)
That really made me laugh, but I'm not even going to try replying in that accent! :D