Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Surveys Point to Mac and iPhone Sales Momentum, Strong Tablet Interest

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

In a note to clients issued today, research analyst Mike Abramsky reported on the results of several recent RBC IQ/ChangeWave survey questions demonstrating surging Mac and iPhone sales momentum, as well as significant interest in a potential Apple tablet computer.

In a survey of customers who had purchased a computer within the past 90 days, 25% of respondents reported purchasing a Mac laptop, nearly matching previous highs set late last year and up from 18% in July. Abramsky notes that the sales spike has likely been driven by a combination of price cuts to Apple's notebook lines and back-to-school shopping. Apple's launch of Mac OS X Snow Leopard, generally-improving consumer electronics sales, increased brand awareness and iPhone-related spillover are also cited as factors in Apple's recent Mac rebound.

On the iPhone front, 30% of surveyed smartphone customers are now iPhone owners, up from 25% in June. Based on its research, RBC projects Apple to reach a 2% share of the total global mobile phone market this year with 22.8 million iPhones sold. RBC estimates that Apple's mobile phone market share will rise to over 4% on sales of 54.7 million iPhones in 2012.

An RBC IQ/ChangeWave survey question about a hypothetical Apple tablet priced in the $500-$700 range also revealed significant interest, with 21% of buyers noting that they would be interested in purchasing such a device. That data compares to only 9% of buyers who had expressed interest in purchasing the iPhone in April 2007 ahead of its launch.

Article Link: Surveys Point to Mac and iPhone Sales Momentum, Strong Tablet Interest

mrochester

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2009
I'm curious as to who the target Market is for a tablet, and what they will be using it for. It doesn't have the benefit of a laptop as it probably has no physical keyboard, and it doesn't have the size benefit of a touchscreen mobile phone. I think an Apple tablet will fit in a similar niche as the MacBook Air.

Comment

tncwood1

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2009
Florence, al
An apple tablet is coming. Steve knows that he can make money on this product and that the market is primed and ready for it now. A few years ago that might not have been the case.

Comment

cmfilms

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
Central Iowa
I'm curious as to who the target Market is for a tablet, and what they will be using it for.

I'm a video producer with a 17" MacBook Pro and an iMac. I don't want an iPhone because of the contract. What I want is something portable, but bigger than a Touch that I can use with iCal, Mail, watch movies, listen to music, view contracts and other PDFs and if it's a sweet gaming platform, even better.

I want to be able to run production schedules and equipment checklists at the touch of my finger. I might be niche, but I think the true value of the "iPad" will be the application designers and the ability to make it into what ever you want.

Comment

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Desktops fell off a cliff compared to laptops! Hopefully this wakes Apple up and makes them start offering desktops that please more consumers, like a significantly upgraded mini, an imac with a matte screen, and (gosh) maybe even a mid tower.

Comment

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
Desktops fell off a cliff compared to laptops! Hopefully this wakes Apple up and makes them start offering desktops that please more consumers, like a significantly upgraded mini, an imac with a matte screen, and (gosh) maybe even a mid tower.

They do need a desktop to please more consumers... that is for sure ;)

Comment

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
don't care about 3G which requires expensive monthly data plan.. I only want wi-fi.

If the price is $500, I am definitely in.

Comment

ghostface147

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2008
I have never understood the hoopla for a tablet. Apple's desktops and laptops are already a niche product with a worldwide market share in the low single digits. Based upon what several sites have reported, tablet demand is also a minor percentage of those existing Apple users. My thought is, whatever pricepoint the general consensus thinks is good for a tablet, Apple will charge at least 200 bucks more. No thanks, I'd rather have a much more powerful Mac Pro for real work and a quality MacBook Pro for my portable needs. YMMV.

Comment

GigaWire

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2001
I consulted my magic 8 ball about an Apple tablet. All it said was "My sources say no.". Sadly, I think this method of research will prove to be more accurate than the tablet rumor mongers.

Comment

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Good numbers and signs of an improving economy.

Macbooks still lead the class in notebooks (although I wonder how many of them are dual booting) so no surprise demand is high. I have to say I think their iPhone projections are high for 2012 - the smartphone market doesn't work like the iPod market.

Comment

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I have never understood the hoopla for a tablet. Apple's desktops and laptops are already a niche product with a worldwide market share in the low single digits. Based upon what several sites have reported, tablet demand is also a minor percentage of those existing Apple users. My thought is, whatever pricepoint the general consensus thinks is good for a tablet, Apple will charge at least 200 bucks more. No thanks, I'd rather have a much more powerful Mac Pro for real work and a quality MacBook Pro for my portable needs. YMMV.

Typical ignorance.

Apple Marketshare has been hovering around 10% on new computer sales for a while now.

They also sell the majority of retail delivered systems costing over $1000.

Continue to bury your head in the sand about the fact that Apple mind share and momentum are growing with users.

MS caters to businesses and doesn't care about users. Apple caters to users.

Comment

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Good numbers and signs of an improving economy.

Macbooks still lead the class in notebooks (although I wonder how many of them are dual booting) so no surprise demand is high. I have to say I think their iPhone projections are high for 2012 - the smartphone market doesn't work like the iPod market.

People thought it would take five years for Apple to hit 1% of global phone market share too.

Comment

Vulpinemac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2007
I'm hearing three different arguments here, and oddly, one of them shows numbers far higher than most other analysts care to report (and all Windows zealots will refuse to acknowledge.)

So many other 'market analysts' have been holding Apple's computer sales in the US to well under 10% per quarter when compared to all other manufacturers. However, this chart seems to specifically note that not only are Apple's computer sales much higher than the average report, but at 25%, more than twice as high as even the most liberal report for the laptops. Even the 17% for desktops seems almost twice that reported by other analysts. Who's right? Is this taking into account the sub-notebooks popularly called netbooks? Or are those a different category not included in the general term of 'computers?'

Now, I do need to point out that at least some of those new purchases are by people wanting to 'look cool' while running Windows. Well, if nothing else, it gets the Apple brand out in more places--but as soon as someone comes up and asks, "What do you think of it?" and they reply with, "It runs Windows beautifully," that cool factor is going to disappear. Yes, even I run Windows through Boot Camp, but only for games that aren't Mac compatible; everything else I do, especially web browsing and blog commenting, are done through OS X Snow Leopard.

Comment

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I'm hearing three different arguments here, and oddly, one of them shows numbers far higher than most other analysts care to report (and all Windows zealots will refuse to acknowledge.)

So many other 'market analysts' have been holding Apple's computer sales in the US to well under 10% per quarter when compared to all other manufacturers. However, this chart seems to specifically note that not only are Apple's computer sales much higher than the average report, but at 25%, more than twice as high as even the most liberal report for the laptops. Even the 17% for desktops seems almost twice that reported by other analysts. Who's right? Is this taking into account the sub-notebooks popularly called netbooks? Or are those a different category not included in the general term of 'computers?'

Now, I do need to point out that at least some of those new purchases are by people wanting to 'look cool' while running Windows. Well, if nothing else, it gets the Apple brand out in more places--but as soon as someone comes up and asks, "What do you think of it?" and they reply with, "It runs Windows beautifully," that cool factor is going to disappear. Yes, even I run Windows through Boot Camp, but only for games that aren't Mac compatible; everything else I do, especially web browsing and blog commenting, are done through OS X Snow Leopard.

It is possible that this is retail data that excludes online/web purchases and therefore presents Apple in a better light.

However, if Apple is gaining traction in the brick and mortar retail space it still spells trouble for other manufacturers down the road as overall Apple adoption rates seem to be up.

I've long viewed the iPhone as the "gateway drug" that will make PC users more comfortable with making the switch to a Mac, even desiring making the switch sooner due to the positive iPhone experience. I'm sure there are some Apple executives who would acknowledge that this is part of the Apple strategy.

Comment

ghostface147

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2008
Typical ignorance.

Not quite. Back in April, Apple announced its earnings for the first calendar quarter of 2009. They had revenues of $8.16 billion and a net quarterly profit of $1.21 billion. Mac sales were 2.22 million units, which equates to 3.36 percent worldwide market share. The financials are available on Apple's website for all to view.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/04/22results.html

In the US they hover around 10% as you stated, but that's why I used the word worldwide in bold.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.