Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theRAMman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2012
The Moon.
There has been lots of speculation on various threads about what the specs will be like on the new minis when they are released. This is a dedicated thread for this.
In my personal opinion I expect 2.5GHz Duel core i5s, intel 4000 graphics, 500Gb HHD, 4Gb RAM and of course USB 3s and perhaps more thunderbolt ports. This is for the base model by the way.

Happy wondering!! :)

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009
If they go for flash memory instead they could probably find a way to fit some sort of dedicated GPU or at least allow more cooling for an i7, if that's even an issue.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
High-End model:

Core i7-3612qm (2,1 GHz Quad-Core, 35w)
GeForce GT 640M (LE), 512MB VRAM
4 GB RAM
750 GB 5400 rpm HDD

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
I would just like to see SSD, and 1600MHz memory be standard, and the upgrade to USB 3.0.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Low End -
2.5ghz i5 dual core
HD4000 graphics
4GB of RAM
500GB 5400 RPM drive

(exactly like the entry Level Macbook Pro which is what the 2011 Mac Mini's were based on)

High End:
2.9ghz i7 dual core
Geforce GT 640LE*
4GB of RAM
750GB 5400 RPM Drive

(exactly like the upgraded Macbook Pro but with a better vid card)
* Vid card is simply a guess as it is about the only "new" discrete vid card that will come close to the TDP of the 2011 model that is even worth upgrading to.

Server:
2.3ghz i7 quad core
HD4000 GPU
4GB of RAM
Dual 500GB drives

(again 2011 Mac Mini Server had the same processor as the entry level 15" Macbook Pro).

I really do not see Apple offering a "special" CPU for the Mac Mini's (i.e. the quad core 2.1ghz i7) in their Mac Mini's. What incentive would they have? Just another part to keep track of on their "cheapest" Mac and since the Mini's are a consumer device (and not prosumer or professional), the dual core would be plenty for your "average" Joe.

EDIT: SSD will not be offered on the Mac Mini. Even an entry level 256GB would be $200 worth of the overall cost. I just don't see them spending 1/3 of the value of the Mac Mini on the storage. They will offer it as a option, but not as a standard.

theRAMman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2012
The Moon.
Low End -
2.5ghz i5 dual core
HD4000 graphics
4GB of RAM
500GB 5400 RPM drive

(exactly like the entry Level Macbook Pro which is what the 2011 Mac Mini's were based on)

High End:
2.9ghz i7 dual core
Geforce GT 640LE*
4GB of RAM
750GB 5400 RPM Drive

(exactly like the upgraded Macbook Pro but with a better vid card)
* Vid card is simply a guess as it is about the only "new" discrete vid card that will come close to the TDP of the 2011 model that is even worth upgrading to.

Server:
2.3ghz i7 quad core
HD4000 GPU
4GB of RAM
Dual 500GB drives

(again 2011 Mac Mini Server had the same processor as the entry level 15" Macbook Pro).

I really do not see Apple offering a "special" CPU for the Mac Mini's (i.e. the quad core 2.1ghz i7) in their Mac Mini's. What incentive would they have? Just another part to keep track of on their "cheapest" Mac and since the Mini's are a consumer device (and not prosumer or professional), the dual core would be plenty for your "average" Joe.

EDIT: SSD will not be offered on the Mac Mini. Even an entry level 256GB would be $200 worth of the overall cost. I just don't see them spending 1/3 of the value of the Mac Mini on the storage. They will offer it as a option, but not as a standard.

Wow... You've really thought about this! I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the trend between the mac mini specs and the MBPs.

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
The mini really should have an ssd to make them actually stand out and worth the price.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
they have yet put in a non intel graphics chip that has more then 256mb video memory. Just like everyone else i would love to see 512 or 1gb on an nvidia or amd chip but im not holding my breath for that one thats for sure.

xheathen

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2010
The mini really should have an ssd to make them actually stand out and worth the price.

I'd rather they not. The amount Apple would charge to have it standard I think would kill it's affordability. I'd much rather buy my own drive or use a thunderbolt based external SSD to boot from.

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
I'd rather they not. The amount Apple would charge to have it standard I think would kill it's affordability. I'd much rather buy my own drive or use a thunderbolt based external SSD to boot from.
I suppose but your still paying for an unwanted HDD. Also what Graphics card do you think will be in the high end mini? Nvidia 630m?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I suppose but your still paying for an unwanted HDD. Also what Graphics card do you think will be in the high end mini? Nvidia 630m?

The hard drive isn't necessarily unwanted tho. In my bare 2011, I used it as a secondary drive for data and I think apple wants to keep the base minis affordable which the SSD will add a lot to the cost (unless they went with 128gb or less)

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012

I just don't get the point of this chip. The i7-3520m is a heck of a lot slower and only 30 dollars cheaper than the 3612qm - and that all with the same energy drain. It not even has any kind of size advantage in terms of die size ...

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I just don't get the point of this chip. The i7-3520m is a heck of a lot slower and only 30 dollars cheaper than the 3612qm - and that all with the same energy drain. It not even has any kind of size advantage in terms of die size ...

Then why didn't Apple put it in the high end 13" Macbook Pro? Again, look at the 2010's and 2011's, all of the Mac Mini's used processors from the Macbook Pro line (mainly the 13"). I don't see that changing for 2012. Again, all we are doing is speculating. I'm speculating based on what Apple has done in the past and that is offer the same processors in the base and high end mini that is found in the 13" Macbook Pros in their minis. You are basing your speculation on the fact that for only a few bucks more they could have a quad core (also driven a bit by your emotion/need). Also do remember, that if the chip costs $30 to Apple, then they will charge $50-60 to the consumer (this is true for all manufacturers), so the end result is either a lesser discrete GPU, less RAM, smaller hard drive, etc. to make up for the more expensive CPU.

Specs of 2010 and 2011 Mac Minis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_mini#Specifications_3
Specs of Macbook Pros: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macbook_Pro#Technical_specifications_2

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
I know they use the MacBook CPUs most of the time also in the Mac Minis. But it's also true that there was a supply problem with the i7-3612qm the time the 13" MacBook Pro was launching, so this could well be one reason why the MBP uses the slower, dual-core version.

I don't think it's a problem for Apple offering the 3612qm - and if it's only as a BTO option. I mean, they sell millions of Minis - isn't this enough to get a fair price from Intel?

Sure it's more a hope than anything else - the 3520m makes arguably more sense. However, it's neither technically difficult to do nor really expensive building in the Quad-Core, so I just hope for the best from Apple.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I know they use the MacBook CPUs most of the time also in the Mac Minis. But it's also true that there was a supply problem with the i7-3612qm the time the 13" MacBook Pro was launching, so this could well be one reason why the MBP uses the slower, dual-core version.

I don't think it's a problem for Apple offering the 3612qm - and if it's only as a BTO option. I mean, they sell millions of Minis - isn't this enough to get a fair price from Intel?

Sure it's more a hope than anything else - the 3520m makes arguably more sense. However, it's neither technically difficult to do nor really expensive building in the Quad-Core, so I just hope for the best from Apple.

You could be correct.

When the 2009 oct mac mini came out it offered a bto c2d 2.66 cpu.

this cpu was better then the top 13 inch macbook pro at the time it had a c2d 2.53 cpu. so from oct 2009 to feb 2010 the top mac mini had a better cpu then the top 13 inch macbook pro.

For me I would like an oct mini release it will help my mod business on ebay. Some people will not wait til oct and mods will sell better then have been. Right now the only modded mini worth selling is the 2010 base 2.4 with 8gb ram it sells like mad due to the dvd player and the ability to run snow, lion, ml , linux and windows 7 and 8.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
You could be correct.

When the 2009 oct mac mini came out it offered a bto c2d 2.66 cpu.

this cpu was better then the top 13 inch macbook pro at the time it had a c2d 2.53 cpu. so from oct 2009 to feb 2010 the top mac mini had a better cpu then the top 13 inch macbook pro.

For me I would like an oct mini release it will help my mod business on ebay. Some people will not wait til oct and mods will sell better then have been. Right now the only modded mini worth selling is the 2010 base 2.4 with 8gb ram it sells like mad due to the dvd player and the ability to run snow, lion, ml , linux and windows 7 and 8.

Now that's a really helpful statement, thanks!

I'd like the Mini to be released sooner rather than later, altough I could wait until the end of the year in theory.

However, just bought Mountain Lion to play with it a bit. Probably 16 euro wasted only to get it a few weeks earlier, but anyways ...

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

I'll give you that. IF the 2.1 quad core comes, it will almost have to be BTO option (it is very Apple to offer what amounts to a $30 upgrade for $100 :) ) it is interesting that the 13" High End Macbook Pro does not have a BTO option this time around unlike the 2011's. In 2011 the 2.7ghz dual core was the BTO option for both the 13" MBP and the High end Mini, so it is difficult to say if Apple will have a BTO processor option on the High End Mini or not. Only time will tell.

Edit: The only wrench in all of this, is that the 2.66ghz (P8800) Core2duo was at least found in the m15" MBP in mid-2009 whereas the i7-3612qm isn't currently found in any of Apple's lineup right now making it a part that they would have to source only for the Mac Mini...

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Edit: The only wrench in all of this, is that the 2.66ghz (P8800) Core2duo was at least found in the m15" MBP in mid-2009 whereas the i7-3612qm isn't currently found in any of Apple's lineup right now making it a part that they would have to source only for the Mac Mini...

Well, that's the CPU in my MBP, so I know that. ;)

You say "only for the Mac Mini" ... You know, there are companies out there which make far less money than the Mac Mini alone? I really think they sell enough to write a mail to Intel which basically says "Send us some million of your cool quad-core chips ... You know, these i7-3612qm things. We'll pay half of your price, okay?"

And yeah, I WOULD pay 100 on top of the i7-3520m - which would give Apple quite a nice amount of money without too much extra work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.