Suspicious guy on ebay wants my information.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Zellio, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Zellio, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

What do you guys make of this? I sold my iphone 5s gold, to some guy exactly one month, yesterday I get this:

Do you have the IMEI number from the phone I purchased from you? It activated on your number and is asking for the last four of the original owners social and the zip code to get past the lock screen. What is your area code? I have the full phone number. Get back to me asap please. Vinny

So I called verizon about this issue (Also notice that my account was locked, has to reset stuff), and they told me in the end he needs a new sim card. So I tell him that.

Today he sends me this message:

Because you didn't unseal it and activate it first and agree to the terms and conditions of the upgrade that you used
    it automatically activates on your account. Get me the IMEI then you will have to call Verizon and give me the zip code
    and last four of the social.

What do you think of this? I've already reported this guy to ebay. Verizon told me this guy only needs a new sim card (And not my account information so he can log in!)

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

3. jasonxneo macrumors regular

jasonxneo

Yes, I would give it to him. If its only the last 4 of the social it shouldn't be a big deal considering he spent a couple hundred to buy the phone from you in the first place.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

5. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Absolutely not. Giving any portion of your social is a huge red flag. It can be used to verify your account if you "forgot your password" or something.

6. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Somehow I doubt he went through all this trouble, spent all that money, then waited a month, just to steal the last four digits of someone's social.

I would go ahead and help the guy out - it seems like he's good intentioned.

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

That makes no sense. He needs a new SIM, he should remove the SIM that's in the phone and then install one registered to him.

I've bought Verizon LTE phones on ebay (not iphones, but still) and just popped my SIM into the phone to activate it on my account.

I have never activated a phone and been asked by the phone for any of the numbers of my social.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Sorry but no way in hell he should give out that info to anyone online EVER.

This is like textbook out of the online scam/phishing book.

9. kolax macrumors G3

Did you send him the phone with your SIM card in it?!

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. It is just asking for trouble to give the buyer that information.

11. Zellio thread starter macrumors 65816

Zellio

It was brand new (still sealed) , but nowadays if you buy a brand new device from a carrier it comes with your phone information preinstalled on the sim card, waiting for you to activate. I didn't know that.

12. kolax macrumors G3

Also, I've never been asked for such information on my iPhone when activating before. Is this new in iOS 7?

Or is this only displayed if you try to activate on a different SIM card on the same carrier to what the phone was expecting?

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Even if he has good intentions Verizon is saying the guy just needs a new SIM. I'd say it's 50-50 if he's trying to scam the OP vs just being naive, but either way I wouldn't give out that information, just tell him to take it to Verizon and get a new sim.

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm not an expert, but if he needs a new SIM card, it sounds like he should buy one and activate on his own account. I would not give him info so he can use something registered to the OP.. Definitely not the last 4.

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Surely you jest!:eek:

You can tell the character of an individual from their 'net persona!?

I wouldn't give out one number in my SS number, and suggest OP not give the information.

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Seems to me all he has to do is get a new sim card and put it in the phone.

17. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Have him talk to Verizon. Also ask Verizon your self if he needs the last 4 digits. Sounds pretty sketchy to me, but I've never done this before... Make sure to ask Verizon if he needs to have that info. Perhaps he is misinformed and needs the last 4 of the CC used to purchase? Someone please tell me if I'm misinformed as well :D

18. Zellio thread starter macrumors 65816

Zellio

Verizon told me themselves he needs a new sim card and not to give him this information. That's one of the reasons why I alerted ebay on this scammer.

This topic wasn't a question of 'should I get my Verizon account stolen' as much as it's 'how do I deal with an ebay scammer'. You know how ebay sides with buyers should he try something :rolleyes:

I suppose the guy could be naive, but he sells WAY too many phones himself to be.

19. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

When I activated my new AT&T iPhone 5 in September 2012, purchased online from the Apple Store, the activation process did indeed ask for me to enter the last 4 digits of my SS#. That was to verify the iPhone with my AT&T account, which was used to subsidize purchase cost.

Your buyer needs to go to his own provider & get a SIM that will be registered to him. He doesn't need your info because he's not going to be using your account. Tell him politely but firmly.

20. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Are people actually arguing over this? Give a complete stranger the last four numbers of your SSN?!?! Unbelievable.

21. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

This. I LOL'd at the first poster to say "go ahead, it's no big deal" thinking it's sarcasm.

Then…

Squilly actually showed more sense than some of you in this thread. Squilly!

22. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

He's right. The phone really does require this if you bought it with a contract even with a new SIM.

23. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Honestly, from what I read he's a nice guy, but his brother seems to be on the get rich quick path.... and trying to take his Squilly with him...

24. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

What does Apple support have to say about the validity of this request?

25. Zellio thread starter macrumors 65816

Zellio

Don't lie. I've bought phones on ebay before and simply put my sim card in them.