Suspicious user in Activity Monitor

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Kal.moll, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Kal.moll macrumors newbie

Kal.moll

Greetings everyone, recently I've notice an "Other" user when I started up my MBP, I didn't think anything of

it because I searched and noticed that it happened to a lot of people, but after logging into my main user I've

got a lot of pop-up ads when browsing the web which is weird because I've never had such problems,

especially with adblock installed, so I searched about that as well and came to the conclusion that I have an

adware/malware, I tried some methods that worked with other people but it did not work for me so I went

and installed an anti-malware that happened to find quite a few malwares that I removed, it got better but I

still get ads in certain websites, this isn't really a big problem, I can live with it, but this one time my CPU's

temp. started shooting way higher than usual and so did the fans, so I opened the Activity Monitor like I

usually do and I found a process that was causing this problem, unfortunately I can't remember it's name but

I noticed that it was under a user named "luxuriate", I frequently open the Activity Monitor and I pay

attention to the users and this was the first time seeing this one, my questions are, is this related to the

"Other" user that I see when I run my MBP? also, could it be related to the adware that I have? and most

importantly, how do I remove it? because I tried searching for this problem and didn't really find a solution,

sorry this is taking so long I just wanted to include everything.

Included below is a screen shot of a process that's under 'luxuriate', the columns are: Process Name, % CPU, CPU Time, Threads, Idle Wake Ups, PID and User, respectively. AM.png

Thanks to everyone in advance.

2. JohnDS macrumors 65816

Perhaps you could download Etrecheck: https://etrecheck.com/download/EtreCheck.zip Double-click on the downloaded application, save the resultant report and upload it here. (Etrecheck is diagnostic software that my help us figure out what is going on.)

3. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Be sure to run Malwarebytes.
    You possibly have an adware, one that creates a user on your Mac, just using dictionary words (so it will be different on each computer) to name the user.
    I think you will find this thread relevant - http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/what-is-unillumination-process-mavericks.1966015/
    If you have time, view the video on page 2, which is a fairly long presentation about OSX.pirrit by an Israeli web security researcher. It's a newly-discovered type of adware, and would explain the strange user that suddenly appeared on your Mac...