Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
$200+ ??? ahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa aaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaa hahahahahahaoooooooo hahahahahahahahaha aaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaahaaaa.... oo ooo aaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahaahahahaahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa

The fact that it took till post #25 to get here.... has me worried.

This was my initial response. I can't believe it. A dock for $50... ok that's expensive. A dock with a fan for $219 to $279.... What the .... (return to above).

Reactions: icanhazmac

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
Who's willing to fork over $200+ to test the claims? I'm certainly not, but if you are, I applaud your willingness to try, and please report back.

DonutHands

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Los Angeles
I'm trying to visualize how you would use this thing. Maybe if you're driving a secondary monitor, I don't know. My 2017 MacBook Pro runs hot sometimes, so I just shut down whatever video or website that's causing the issue. The whole 'turbo-boost' design ensures that it will throttle down to compensate. Not crazy about how thin the MacBook Pro is but whatever.
You are obviously not a target demographic for this product. If your video render is causing the fans to go crazy, thermal throttling is occurring slowing the process down. You cant just close your project because its making your computer work hard.
[automerge]1602195916[/automerge]
Who's willing to fork over $200+ to test the claims? I'm certainly not, but if you are, I applaud your willingness to try, and please report back.
Forward to Linus Tech Tips

Reactions: ImaxGuy

TFK.

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2020
Dubai
We need someone to test this and give us his/her option (And of course not sponsored).. Am really curious to see if their claims are true ?

Metrosey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2019

Can’t you just buy and then return it if you don’t like it?

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
How is a heat sync supposed to work if it isn't in contact with the heat source...the rubber grips alone render this useless lol
I just came here to say this - with those standoffs you could have 10 pounds of aluminum instead of 1 and you aren't going to get any more passive cooling since the laptop case is not making contact with the aluminum!

typonaut

macrumors member
May 7, 2014
It’s not clear to me how you would transfer heat to a heatsink when the heatsink is insulated from the heat source by rubber pads. At best inefficient.

Reactions: 4jasontv

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
You are obviously not a target demographic for this product. If your video render is causing the fans to go crazy, thermal throttling is occurring slowing the process down. You cant just close your project because its making your computer work hard.
[automerge]1602195916[/automerge]

Forward to Linus Tech Tips

Well, you're right, I definitely wouldn't buy this thing'. Occasionally I'll be looking at something online and noticed my fans will kick in. In this case, I do just cancel out because it's of no consequence to me.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I've already got a fan for my MBP in my office, thanks.

giphy.gif

lol... That is wonderful.... You got the whole light stand shaking and everything..

Reactions: macsound1

wumpalumpa

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2020
$200+ ??? ahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa aaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaa hahahahahahaoooooooo hahahahahahahahaha aaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaahaaaa.... oo ooo aaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahaahahahaahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa

They forgot to stamp an apple. I understand...

Xials

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2007
it’s completely useless marketing speak and I’m baffled to see it made its way on to the front page without any sort of comment from the Macrumors-team.
It's an advertisement; a paid article. That is why it is front page.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
If the claims hold up to testing, I NEED THIS.
If the claims hold up, you can probably get the same improvement by putting it in any dock with the vents pointing up instead of down.

And if you can't and the fan is actually doing something productive, then you can definitely get even more of an effect by getting a snazzy-looking Twelve South dock for $60 and a $20 fan and pointing it at the MBP.

Reactions: TheWatchfulOne

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
GPU processor temperatures decreased by up to 67 percent. Increased CPU processor power by up to 59 percent. Sounds great, but those are some big claims.

Likely a one-time spike, at the very start of the first test run in a series of runs ... that’s my guess.

Reactions: darkslide29

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Speaking of clamshell mode, which I *never* use, today, I was in the room next to my office and my Watch informed me that it had unlocked my MacBook Air! I walked into the office to see the attached monitor alive. I never touched my computer! Talk about freaky and concerning! I'm not so sure about this Apple Watch unlocking feature, when clamshell mode is supposed to be "sleep" mode!

As for the cooling dock... bring on 1997!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.