Swap CPUs on uMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by svtguy08, Jun 13, 2009.

1. svtguy08 macrumors member

I'm thinking of getting a refurbed 2.4GHz (P8600) 15" uMBP, 2Gb DDR3, 256mb 9600GT. What I want to know is, does Apple have a restriction put in place, software or hardware, to prevent you from upgrading the CPU? I'm thinking of swapping in a 3.06GHz (T9900) C2D.

I do understand that the warranty would be voided. Thanks in Advance :)

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

They're soldered to the logic board, so I guess that falls under a hardware restriction. ;)

3. svtguy08 thread starter macrumors member

@gr8tfly

The actual CPU is soldered into the socket? That doesn't seem to make sense at all. So if the CPU fails, you have to replace the entire logic board? Is that an apple decision or do other manufacturers do this as well? I know my old HP zd7000 3.06GHz P4 was not soldered in.

Thanks for the info ;)

edit: I did a Google search and sure enough they are soldered with no upgrade available. Bummer :(

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

No the CPU is not soldered to the socket, it is soldered directly to the motherboard. Yes is the CPU is faulty then the whole motherboard would have to be replaced. If Apple used a socket then the laptops would not be as thin as they are.

5. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Several years ago I found guy who was replacing GPUs and BGA memory chips on faulty desktop videocards.

It may be possible to replace Micro-FCPGA CPU chip, but it may require an EFI upgrade as well.