Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
So iPhone 7 will be announced next week, and released some time after that. Currently I'm on o2 refresh, which means I can pay off the device plan and upgrade. Currently the device plan is £350, and I can trade my 6s 64gb in for £370-390.

Question is, do I make this decision before the 7 is announced or wait? I'm not sure how the value of the 6s will be affected post 7 annoucement.

Anyone considering similar move?

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I own my 6s Plus outright, but I'll still be upgrading to the 7 soon as it's released,
I'll just sell my 6s.

Do you see much difference between the price you can get today vs the price on September 8th?

Liam_89

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2016
Durham, UK
Do you see much difference between the price you can get today vs the price on September 8th?
I'm not sure tbh, but once the 7 pricing is announced then I'm sure that the 6s and the 6s plus price will drop somewhat as mentioned in the above comment,
If you can sell now and can wait the few weeks without your phone then I'd say do it,
Sell it private, you will get more than what O2 is offering, especially for the 64gb
I will advertise mine maybe tomorrow.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Mine has a few scrapes on the metal so selling private won't yield much more than £390 I imagine. eBay is a nightmare for selling phones and risky.

I have a 3GS I could use in the short term.

Liam_89

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2016
Durham, UK
Mine has a few scrapes on the metal so selling private won't yield much more than £390 I imagine. eBay is a nightmare for selling phones and risky.

I have a 3GS I could use in the short term.

I'll whack my 6s Plus on gumtree tomorrow,
Seem to have success on there when selling my iPhone's and iPads,
Won't sell on eBay it's just not worth the hassle and risk,
£390 from O2 is good money in that case,
Suppose that will decrease over the next week once the 7 is announced,
If it were me I'd go for it now,
Only you can make that choice though.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
So iPhone 7 will be announced next week, and released some time after that. Currently I'm on o2 refresh, which means I can pay off the device plan and upgrade. Currently the device plan is £350, and I can trade my 6s 64gb in for £370-390.

Question is, do I make this decision before the 7 is announced or wait? I'm not sure how the value of the 6s will be affected post 7 annoucement.

Anyone considering similar move?
Well on comparisons sites you could sell your iPhone to them for 450 pounds with the plus model so might be worth it to just buy sim free as could be cheaper. Not much but enough to make a difference.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
It's up to you really. I think some sites will lock the price in for a week or two as well. This may not be very good if the 7 isn't released until the 23rd, but if it was released a week earlier then it gives you a few days to get your phone in after the new one comes out.

If you can get the price that it will cost you to upgrade for your old phone then I certainly say it's worth it. For the record I'm selling my unlocked 64gb 6s + for £400. I have buyer for this but it was hard to find this price via cash in websites and stores that buy and sell secondhand phones.

CasuallyDressed

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Bournemouth, UK
I'm on O2 Refresh too, and have had my 6S 128gb on Gumtree for a few days now (currently rocking an old iPhone 5 16gb... That space constraint is a killer!) It's up for £550 (mint condition, month of warranty left, box and accessories all mint) but I don't seem to be getting any bites from serious buyers. Some dude offered me an old Note 4 and some cash earlier, and someone a PS4 and an iPad yesterday :-/

What do we think is a fair price for a near-mint iPhone 6S 128gb? They go for £700 new from Apple, or £600 preowned from CEX.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Last year I locked in a price for my 6Plus with Envirophone the day before the key note which was valid for two weeks which they extended by another week. They normally extend by another week giving you almost 3 weeks after the key note to send your phone to them and get the same price for it.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I *think* Envirofone also offered extra cash back with a code last year too (something like 10% on top of the quoted price).
[doublepost=1472715326][/doublepost]
I'm on O2 Refresh too, and have had my 6S 128gb on Gumtree for a few days now (currently rocking an old iPhone 5 16gb... That space constraint is a killer!) It's up for £550 (mint condition, month of warranty left, box and accessories all mint) but I don't seem to be getting any bites from serious buyers. Some dude offered me an old Note 4 and some cash earlier, and someone a PS4 and an iPad yesterday :-/

What do we think is a fair price for a near-mint iPhone 6S 128gb? They go for £700 new from Apple, or £600 preowned from CEX.

Envirofone quote £405 for your model unlocked.

o2 Recyle offer £385...

Henners74

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
Manchester, UK
I will be selling my iPhone 6s+ once the 7+ is released. If you bought your iPhone direct from apple then your phone is already unlocked so if you sell to Envirofone then when you select your options tell them that the phone is unlocked. That way you get more money for your old phone

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
I just lost my iPhone 6s Plus. Insurance have given me a £700 voucher at Currys/PC world to replace it. Question is do Currys get new unlocked models straight away or will I be waiting months and thus should just get the 6s Plus there now?

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I just lost my iPhone 6s Plus. Insurance have given me a £700 voucher at Currys/PC world to replace it. Question is do Currys get new unlocked models straight away or will I be waiting months and thus should just get the 6s Plus there now?

Carphone Warehouse lock their iPhone handsets to the first network but I'm pretty sure they will have "SIM Free" stock when Apple release it.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I've requested a couple of the quotes from various websites, highest is £380 and lowest/least hassle is £355. Valid between 10-14 days so even if the value drops on Wednesday it's locked in and at that point I can decide.

Liam_89

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2016
Durham, UK
I've requested a couple of the quotes from various websites, highest is £380 and lowest/least hassle is £355. Valid between 10-14 days so even if the value drops on Wednesday it's locked in and at that point I can decide.
I've got a 16GB 6S Plus Unlocked wondering how much that might be worth and where at
I've never used online trade in before

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I've got a 16GB 6S Plus Unlocked wondering how much that might be worth and where at
I've never used online trade in before

Simply Drop (as an example) are quoting £365 for the iPhone 6s Plus unlocked in 'excellent' condition.

Touch wood I've never really had any trouble with these phone recycling companies as a general rule but there was one year where I received slightly less than the quoted figure due to a mark that wasn't present when I sent off the phone.

Could've asked for it back but didn't want the hassle of organising the return and finding the next highest offer plus further Special Delivery costs.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
As long as it's in great condition you should get the max price listed. If like me you've got a few marks then I've found O2 recycle don't mind these, although they offer about £30 less in my case, the hassle of getting potentially offered less than this by a more picky recycler can be worth it.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Not bad price for the 6s plus unlocked to trade in online, think I will test the water on gumtree at £425 as I have genuine Apple leather case and few other extras to go with it

Make sure you request to trade in, since this locks the price in for 10-14 days. If you wait, the price will likely drop over the next few days and certainly post IP7 announcement.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Even with a 6s plus you will find it tough to get it for 470-480 never mind the normal 6s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.