Swap iPhone 7 for an se

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mbvmbmb, Jan 5, 2017.

1. mbvmbmb macrumors member

mbvmbmb

I got the iPhone 7 through Verizon's promo were I gave them my old iPhone 6 and they gave me a credit for the monthly payments on this phone.

What would be the best way to switch this phone for an se ?

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

If you are in your 14 day return policy with Verizon, bring the phone back in to the store for an exchange.

3. mbvmbmb thread starter macrumors member

mbvmbmb

I am out of the 14 day period.

Would it be easier or possible to buy the se out of pocket and then sell the 7?

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Your iPhone 7 is likely worth more than the SE, depending on the condition you have it in right now. You could sell your iPhone 7 outright. Then take the money and purchase the iPhone SE, keeping whatever's left over.

5. mbvmbmb thread starter macrumors member

mbvmbmb

Do you think this could have any impact on the payments I have to keep making with Verizon?

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

If you owe money to Verizon for your iPhone 7, then you would not be able to sell it and you don't own it. You would either have to pay the remainder of the iPhone 7 off and then purchased the SE or purchase the SE out right and then make whatever payments necessary on your iPhone 7 if you are under contract to do so.

You would have to contact Verizon and see if they'll make an exception, where you could trade in the iPhone 7 in for the SE. But I'm willing to say that they won't be very flexible being that you're out of your 14 day return period.

7. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

Your gonna end having to pay more. Why not just keep the 7? It's a better phone then the se anyway.

8. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I'd say at this point you could find an SE that's mint condition for a pretty decent price.

Still try to talk to Verizon if you're really adamant about the SE but if it's a no go...

https://swappa.com/buy/apple-iphone-se-verizon

9. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

You better sell and not lose money especially if its a new iphone 7... otherwise, you're basically throwing money out the door

10. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I Don't think the OP can sell his iPhone SE, because it's financed through Verizon and he doesn't own it. If he owned it, then I would sell it also and pay the difference for the iPhone SE or keep the additional money.

11. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I wonder how much out of pocket OP would end up with if they paid off the 7, sold it and bought the SE?

I'd definitely try to negotiate with Verizon.

12. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

What I don't understand is why he would want less of a phone.

13. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

If the iPhone 7 is in excellent condition and new as the OP stated, he would likely look at $550.00 for a base open box used model. The iPhone SE is $400.00 for the base model. The potential to make an additional $150 is possible.

I'm not sure how flexible Verizon would be, being he's out of his 14 day return. And the phone is financed If the OP wants to turn the fiPhone back over to Verizon, I don't know what type of penalties or fees the OP would be looking at. I'm assuming so many payments would have to be made first before they would make any exceptions. Perhaps I'm wrong.

14. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Everyone wants what they want. I personally hated the 5/5s/SE form. I had a 5c, tried out the 5s twice. Sold them both after about a month and went back to my 5c until the 6 came out. Then I got a bent 6. Paid $100 for a white box replacement (Took some negotiating, they were trying to charge me $299). Everyone likes different stuff I suppose.

Edit: Also went through an SE. Thought it might feel better with the edges being champfered. Nope. Plus I had to exchange it twice due to logic board issues. Guess that was my sign. Got my second 6s.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

The OP owns the phone, there's just a separate loan that the OP has in relation to it. The phone can be sold or given away or just not used, the main thing is basically just that the financing payments continue to be made to pay off the loan.

16. Relentless Power, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

No. If the OP owes money for the iPhone to the carrier, they do not own it. With the only exception, if the iPhone is paid off.

From my understanding when I upgraded my iPhone 7 Plus this year, under the payment plan program, you do not own the iPhone and you are not free at will to sell the iPhone with installed payments remaining on the device. That said, I also believe there There is a block preventing the customer from upgrading to any other iPhone with the carrier, with payments for remaining on the previous iPhone on that account. In another words, the iPhone has to be paid off before they can upgrade to another device or new device on that account.

Also, the serial number is tethered to the customer as long as the iPhone is under their name. Unless, as stated previously, if the device is paid off, then it changes the entirety.

If and when, the OP sells the iPhone and clears all the payments. Then they are free to do so what they want with iPhone. Until then, that device belongs to Verizon and it's strictly a loan that you are obligated to pay monthly.

And I wouldn't risk selling it or letting someone else use the iPhone until the payments were cleared or Verizon makes an exception. Verizon isn't very lenient with contract violations for obvious reasons.

Note: This is how it was explained to me in store. I have not read over their legal obligations or policy with Verizon.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

You have a loan obligation, as in you having taken out a loan on anything, but it isn't secured by the device itself. I've certainly have seen the device been given to someone else to use while another device would be activated on the original line and nothing would be different in any way as long as the usual monthly payments are being made.

18. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The OP wants to upgrade to the SE. They cannot do so on the same exact line, without the First iPhone being paid off. Because that specific line is tied to that phone number and account. Once that iPhone is paid off, then they are free to upgrade to whatever iPhone or phone for that matter.

Basically, if he wants to purchase an additional iPhone from Verizon and activate it all while the first iPhone has payments remaining on it, he cannot activate the SE without having the first iPhone that has payments on it being until completed.

For example, if I go on Apple's website right now and attempt to purchase an iPhone under my account and my phone number, I'm going to get an error message stating that it will not allow me to do so, being that there's already an active line on this account with a device Payment and it will direct me to Verizon. Then Verizon will tell me that you cannot activate a new phone on the same account, under the same number, because there's an iPhone pending transaction on that account.

However, indefinitely, What Verizon will allow you to do, is have so many payments made under that line and then when you want to upgrade to a new phone, I believe you have to make a total of 12 payments before you can upgrade to a new device. There is no penalty to make the annual 12 month payments and you can make more than one payment if you so wish.

19. C DM, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017

C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, as an option, what was suggested was that the current iPhone 7 can be sold and that money could be used to purchase an SE (either just for full price or perhaps used or something like that). Upgrading on that line won't be possible until the financing is paid off or perhaps some trade-in offer becomes available, but the ability to sell the 7 and obtain an SE without an upgrade and use it on that line exists as a potential option.

20. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Agreed. That's what I would do. I would sell the iPhone 7 or see if Verizon would allow an exception for a trade-in, then purchase the iPhone SE. That way you're without any type of contractual basis and free and clear from any penalties or hidden obligations.

21. rachelsgoldens macrumors member

I did this trade in promotion with my mom's phone. Gave her my 6s and put my sim in the 7. They would not do the credits because the phone was not on her line. Had to sell the phone or make the monthly payments. If you take that phone off your line they will not give you the monthly credits and charge you for the phone. So you will have to pay off the phone so you can sell it or will be locked to Verizon. They're not lenient on this stuff, trust me. I still had the phone on my account and they wouldn't give me the credits, and I have five phone lines and two tablets.

22. keatth macrumors 6502

As long as the buyer has Verizon, I don't think Verizon cares if it's sold as long as it's used on the same network.

23. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

If the 7 is sold wouldn't he need to then pay off the 7 as money is still owed on it? He's probably upside down on it's value, so he may even have to kick in a few dollars to pay it off. Or I suppose use the money to buy an SE cash, and continue to pay for the 7 he no longer owns. Hopefully paying off in full on schedule or the buyer of it will own a blackballed 7.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

He would be paying off the monthly installments as usual basically, whether or not the phone is being used on that line.

25. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

If he ever stopped paying the bill for some reason, whoever bought the phone would get blacklisted IMEI trouble in their face.

That's my only qualm. It's why I'd never buy a phone that was through contract or still being paid. Too much risk.