Swap SIM cards

geoffm33

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
Not to hijack but hopefully this will help answer SIM related questions.

I ordered through Apple and received the ATT return instructions for my old phone (ATT Next). It says to remove the SIM from the old phone prior to returning.

So I should just swap out the new SIM for the old SIM and destroy the new SIM right?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Dude, you’re my hero! Does this work for all carriers? I have AT&T.

Best,
Sealos
I have had ATT for over ten years and not paid an upgrade fee in years. You will be fine. Just make sure you do not power up,the X until the old SIM card is installed.

Enjoy and I am glad I could help.
[doublepost=1509397365][/doublepost]
Not to hijack but hopefully this will help answer SIM related questions.

I ordered through Apple and received the ATT return instructions for my old phone (ATT Next). It says to remove the SIM from the old phone prior to returning.

So I should just swap out the new SIM for the old SIM and destroy the new SIM right?
Yes! Just make sure you never turn on the X until you swap to your existing SIM card. Destroy to simthat came with the X afterwards.
[doublepost=1509397476][/doublepost]
I too added another line ordering through Verizon. Paid full price. The receipt shows the phone price, followed by the activation fee ($30) and cost of the new line ($20), but the total actually charged to my card was just the phone and sales tax.

I haven't been charged for the activation fee or the new line yet. I'm going to sell this phone to a friend, so will just have him activate using his SIM and will call Verizon to remove it from my account, so don't expect to ever be charged.
Your mistake was ordering through Verizon.

xchric

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2009
Thanks for the thread. Good discussion.

In my case, my wife uses Verizon and I use AT&T, we take turn to upgrade to the new iphone. I am upgrading to this year and I ordered a Verizon iphone X used my wife's phone number and account information and paid full price through Apple.com. The phone is supposed to arrive unlocked but like everyone else, during the check out, the $30.00 activation fee was mentioned. Is the below steps I should do to avoid any potential activation change, or other charges?

1. when iphone X arrives, do not turn it on, remove the Verizon sim comes with it.
2. turn off my ATT iphone, take out the ATT sim and plug it into the iphone X. Turn it on and use it, done?

Do I need to swap out the existing sim card in my wife's iphone with the one comes with the X? or just leave my wife's iphone as it is?

If I only do step 1 and 2, in the future when I switch to Verizon, can I just pop in the new Verizon sim card into the iphone X? My only concern is that I ordered a Verizon phone but end up not "activating" it through Verizon so it will not be able to use Verizon sim in the future.

Thanks in advance.

I’mpaced

Suspended
Sep 26, 2017
Thanks for the info guys. I’ll turn the 8 plus off and pop that sim in the x..then turn the X on and it should be kind. I’ll keep the 8 plus off until the wife gets home and then swap her sim from her 7 to my 8 Plus..Toss the new sim that came with the X and everyone is happy. Ha Ha

sahni130

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Hello everyone,
So I bought an X through Next on a different line on my ATT account. If I put my sim card in it (different number than the line it was ordered on), will it still activate and can i avoid the fee that way?

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
Hello everyone,
So I bought an X through Next on a different line on my ATT account. If I put my sim card in it (different number than the line it was ordered on), will it still activate and can i avoid the fee that way?
Went to an AT&T store to ask this same question and the answer is yes, but the number you used to purchase the phone will be the one billed and will no longer be eligible for upgrade. You could call to switch the billing to the correct line.