Swapped from Android to IOS. my findings

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elf69, Jul 31, 2016.

1. elf69, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016

elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

OK so I have been android user since android phones started almost.

mostly been samsung devices.

So my S7 has to go for repair and an old contract came up for renewal.

So managed to get a 6s plus at almost no extra cost.

First impressions are great!
    nice size as i like big devices.

smooth operations to get it going.
    Great camera.
    OK may lack low light capability of the s7 however it can focus closer. this is of more use to me than low light photos.

Screen not so vibrant as s7 but easier on eyes

so far my only niggles is ringtones.
    Cannot just select song and set as ringtone like android, big shame.

and photos harder to setup albums than android and I really not like it.

minor niggles but great phone, considering selling the s7 edge.

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You will need to get "close" with iTunes as Apple iPhone still depend heavily on it.

3. elf69 thread starter macrumors 68000

elf69

yes spent 4 hours days and 5 yesterday crash course self teaching how to use it with youtube help.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You can download google photos on the App Store if you wish to use that to organise your photos.

5. elf69 thread starter macrumors 68000

elf69

my photos not on google photos just used the built in gallery app on android.

but thanks might try that.

6. Wildeface macrumors newbie

I don't think I've done anything with iTunes in about 3 years.

7. BeeGood, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Another vote for Google photos from me. Even if I didn't use google, I'd use 3 or 4 other apps before I use the stock photos app to manage my photos.

It's definitely better than it was years ago, but it's nowhere close to as good as the best 3rd party apps out there.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 31, 2016 ---
    This. For the life of me I don't understand why people buy iPhones, then torture themselves with iTunes like its 2012. It's so unnecessary.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I agree about ringtones. I don't think I have changed them for something like two years. Mind you, I am happy with what I have, but I would probably mix things up a bit more often if it was much more convenient.

Luckily, most everything else can be done without itunes. I can;t think of the last time I used it, though I do make it a point to backup photos to a backup hardrive (as well as in the cloud through flickr. Thinking of migrating to google for this, just too lazy to move the thousands of photos I have over)
    --- Post Merged, Jul 31, 2016 ---
    Well, as mentioned, it's sort of necessary for ringtones. I suppose you could just pay Apple ($1 per?) and avoid it altogether. I am unaware of another way to handle this.

9. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Ah, you're right. Forgot about ringtones. Yeah aside from jailbreaking, I'm unaware of a way to get non-Apple purchased ringtones on without iTunes.

10. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Is there another way for me to do a full backup (an encrypted backup so that it includes passwords and all) of my phone? I know you can't do that via iCloud, even if I had more than the pathetic 5GB they give for free.

And what about managing content. Is there a way to get mp3s I download from my PC onto my phone? Or transfer videos into VLC player, or documents into Adobe?

I'm seriously asking, because I know on Android you can do all of this as easily as dragging and dropping to an external drive, but as far as I know on iOS you can only do this kind of content management through iTunes.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don't know about vlc player, but I use an app called infuse coupled with kodi for transferring all movies tv shows and other such videos. I basically replaced vlc when it was off the AppStore for over a year and never had a reason to go back. It also does h.265, which is incredible because a 1080p movie can be well under 1gb.

13. Mr.Blacky macrumors regular

Actually you can use Garageband for creating ringtones from your songs. Should be either preinstalled on your device or as a free download on the Appstore.

14. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

only for full backups of iDevices and making own ringtones

15. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

An iCloud backup does contain your passwords. That said, unless you restore from a free WiFi network (like, at the Apple Store) you'll still need to type in a WiFi password before you can get to iCloud.

VLC can download content from a variety of sources, including DLNA servers, SMB shares, FTP servers, etc. and cloud services (Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive and Box).

Don't know about Adobe, I don't use their products anymore. I would assume that iCloud Drive is the answer.

The "external drive" in iOS is called iCloud Drive (or a cloud service of your choice, though iCloud Drive is the most integrated). The only app for which I still use iTunes syncing to copy files back and forth is Sky Safari Pro, and that's only because I'm too cheap to upgrade to version 5, which has iCloud support ;)
    --- Post Merged, Aug 1, 2016 ---
    That is the official way of making custom ringtones. I didn't think they actually still sold ringtones, is that true?

16. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I may be mistaken about the passwords, but there are definitely limitations to an iCloud backup. The most complete backup you can do requires iTunes and a computer. And there's all the other content management I mentioned.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204136

17. elf69 thread starter macrumors 68000

elf69

On my fiancee iphone SE garageband is NOT free, she looked into that.

however she found another free app that works very well and very simple too.

thanks guys for all you helpful input.

18. Savor Suspended

Savor

First impressions don't really mean anything once your honeymoon phase is over with it. Fast and smooth now until Apple keeps forcing you to update.

You might starting missing...

- Back button
    - Micro-sd slot
    - File manager
    - Sideload apps
    - Delete, adding, moving files
    - Multiple video codec support
    - Custom launchers
    - App drawer
    - Ability to hide apps
    - Gesture shortcuts

S7 edge is also known to have longer battery life.

LG G5 (2,800mAh) – 06:31:49
    Huawei P9 (3,000mAh) – 06:51:43
    Sony Xperia X (2,620mAh) – 07:15:35
    HTC 10 (3,000mAh) – 08:00:03
    Apple iPhone 6S (1,715mAh) – 08:13:57
    Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (3,600mAh) – 10:30:14
    Samsung Galaxy S7 (3,000mAh) – 10:59:11

[​IMG]

19. elf69 thread starter macrumors 68000

elf69

OK so agree with some of above.

I do miss:

back button
    SD card support
    File manager

The rest can live with, not played much though, just got it set up how I want.

as for battery my 6 plus seems as good as the s7 edge and considering the s7 battery has larger capacity then it's a win.
    more testing over time needed though.

I did not think I'd like it as am big android fan.

only just discovered quick settings (drag up from bottom of screen) and how to kill background apps (double tap home button then swipe up on the apps)

was missing quick settings but now found it so happy.

20. plexdk macrumors 6502

About back button, most apps support swiping back, then you can go back from anywhere on the left edge of the screen. I prefer that much more than the back button, since i dont have to move my finger down to the bottom, but instead i just swipe back from its current position.

21. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that is easier than moving your thumb to the bottom of the screen to press the back button. However, Android's back button goes back to the previous screen, be it app or web page. This is significantly different than iOS where they placed the "back to app" button all the way at the top left corner of the screen. The back button is still one thing I miss about android, but I've gotten used to the iOS way. For example, in Android, if you were in your email, clicked a link to open a web page, opened a link to another site, then clicked a link to add to your calendar the back button would take you back through those three apps until you reached your email application. On iOS you'd have to go back using the button at the top right of the screen.

22. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

There are also a bunch of apps on the app store that will create ringtones too.

23. elf69 thread starter macrumors 68000

elf69

google photos no good as if offline cannot view photos.

24. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

Wait till you realize that the limited ram won't keep your browser tabs open.

25. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Unless I missed something, the only thing missing from the iCloud backup was Apple Pay info. There may have been something else, but I just don't feel like the difference between the two is that big a deal. It takes a minute or two to set up Apple Pay for even several cards.

As for the music content, like others have said, I would just use something like vlc player. I also tried out an app call CloudBeats that was really good. There are several apps like that out there. The only drawback that I've seen is that you can't use Siri to play songs...at least for another couple months we can't.