Swapped My Hard Drive Last Night MBP 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sbrhwkp3, Feb 3, 2009.

1. sbrhwkp3 macrumors 6502a

sbrhwkp3

I thought I would just share my experience. It's the first surgery I've ever performed on a mac aside from RAM installation, so it was kind of exciting for me.

I have a ton of music, movies, and TV shows, so my 80 GBHD wasn't cutting it. I had already transferred much of my material onto an external so I could fit my new TV episodes on the computer. It finally got to the point where i couldn't even save an excel document and I was running extremely slow, so I went to Amazon and bought at Western Digital 320 GBHD for $70 as a replacement.

When it arrived yesterday, I went to my local Ace Hardware store to buy the Torx T6 driver and jewelry phillips head that I needed to do the job. I printed these instructions I found on a google search.

I was surprised at how easy it really was. As long as you stay organized and keep track of the screws (I labeled them by step in separate containers so I wouldn't have any problems putting it back together) you're fine.

Now, my computer feels like it's brand new. It's got all kinds of pep. Copying files and transfers feel a lot more peppy and the times seem to be reduced. All of my applications launch quicker as well. I'm surprised at how much a new Hard Drive really helps the response time.

One question though. When I booted my computer to install OS X, I used disk utility to format the drive. For some reason, the computer only recognized it as a 297 GBHD, before I had installed OS X. Anyone have any idea why that is?

Aside from that, I'm very happy. It was a fun project, and it's really easy to do.

2. mark2288 macrumors regular

3. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

As soon as i got my new 15" MBP i replaced the hard drive with a 500GB western digital hard drive. After adding all my Tv Shows and Movies i have around 300GB extra space.

I have about 160GB worth of Tv Shows and Movies on my itunes that i carry around with me, but if i would add the older stuff i have and others shows that i am not watching at this moment i would be hitting around 550GB.

4. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

just did a very similar swap a few weeks ago and went with a 7200rpm 320 gb drive....with a fresh install of os x I feel like I have a brand new machine..love it..

5. seb-opp macrumors 6502

Im interested in replacing my HDD, is the battery life and heat noticeably different between 5400 and 7200 HDDs?

6. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

Heat: cooler idle tempatures my old drive seemed to run hot all the time...
    Battery Life: very similar under most conditions (with a 10 month old battery I would say its a non issuse)

Only negative comment is it a quite room its slightly louder at idle... but according to reviews on my drive that is hit or miss

fyi this is the drive I used....http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148336

I picked it due to price and a 5 year warranty

7. sbrhwkp3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sbrhwkp3

I was close to buying a new computer. $70 and 2 hours later, I have one. I can't believe the difference it makes. I'm so happy with the results. :):apple:

8. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

great solution in this economic climate...yikes...

9. gamera~ macrumors member

It really is straightforward, a nice little project. As you said — keep track of the screws! I put my old drive in a cheap $10 enclosure and run windows off it ;)

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

There are two different methods to measure the size of a hard drive. One is 1 Gigabyte = 1000 x 1000 x 1000 bytes, the other is 1 Gigabyte = 1024 x 1024 x 1024 bytes. Because of the confusion that this causes, the second kind is now officially called "Gibibyte". The problem is that everyone who sells hard drives uses the first measure because it gives a bigger number, but operating systems often use the second kind of number.

If you calculate 297 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024, the result is 318.9 billion; quite close to 320 Gigabyte.

11. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

That unit mess is called binary :p