Swapping 2015 MBP SSD into 2017 model

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joe8232, Jun 1, 2018.

1. joe8232 macrumors regular

Hi all,

I currently have a 2015 MacBook pro but I'm thinking of upgrading to the new thin design. I know the 2018 models are likely going to be released next week, but since we don't' know anything about their design/specs I'll limit my question to the current generation. Since my 2015 has a 1TB SSD, I was wondering if it is possible to swap the drives? This would have two advantages for me a) I wouldn't have to waste time cloning the drive, and b) I could buy a cheaper machine since my 2015 would no longer need such a big SSD.

I guess my question is, how portable between machines are the SSD's used in the MacBook Pro?

Thanks!

EDIT: I think this tells me the answer is no: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/swapping-2015-macbook-ssd-into-2017-macbook-pro-ssd.2068498/

2. jerryk macrumors 601

Yep answer is no. SSD is soldered on, like memory

3. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

Don't upgrade.

The 2016/2017 MacBook Pro are lemons.

The keyboard is going to fail and you are going to be stuck with huge repair bills and a headache.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Agree with Tube above.
    If you have a 2015, and if it's working well, DON'T move to a 2017. They are fraught with keyboard problems.

Wait for a 2018, but again, I would recommend that you DON'T buy one until they've been out for 2-3 months and until it looks like the keyboard problems have been addressed.

And, no -- there IS NOT going to be a new MacBook Pro "released" next week.
    "Announced", perhaps. But don't expect to see it shipping for at least 3-4 months "down the line".

Final thought -- the internal drives almost certainly WILL NOT be "swappable".
    The latest MBP's seem to be coming with soldered-in "drives"...