Swapping my phone at the mac store :)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kawasakirider, May 1, 2011.

1. kawasakirider macrumors regular

Hey everyone, a month or so ago, I took my phone into the mac store because of the yellow screen issue. It's my second IP4 (swapped providers) and going from a nice one with a good screen to a yellow screen that looked like someone with poor dental hygiene was pretty dissappointing.

The guy at the genius bar told me to make an appointment and it would most certainly would be replaced. I'm heading in on Tuesday, I just booked the appointment. I'm going to try to swap for a white IP4, but we will see how it goes.

I know the chances are slim, but either colour is sweet, as it will be new, and have no issues with the screen :D

Does anyone know if you get a replacement from apple, if the warranty restarts from the date you obtain the replacement, or is it just the remaining warranty period from your old device?

Cheers

2. DroidRules macrumors 65816

You will not be getting a white iPhone for your black one.

No the warranty does not restart, it simply transfers to the new aka refurbished phone.

Sounds like no matter what phone you have you won't be happy with the screen.

Good luck.

3. kawasakirider thread starter macrumors regular

My old phones screen was fine. What part of my post indicates to you that I wouldn't be happy with a screen that wasn't yellow?

4. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

This is how I got a brand new iPod Touch, which was (at the time) a generation ahead (basically a free upgrade):

1) I made a massive fuss;
    2) I emphasised that I'd been here 3 times and it's costing me petrol;
    3) I say, explicitly, that the newer (I had the 2G) 3G model doesn't have the dust problem;
    4) He then replaced it for the 3G refurbished, and I said: "I would like a brand new one, as refurbished ones have been taken apart; therefore, dust could've gotten in to it."
    5) After a bit of arguing, he said, "Would you like to talk to the manager?"
    6) I said, "Yes."
    7) He couldn't find the manager, and, by this time, a long queue had built up, so he gave in and gave me a new iPod Touch 3G.

This is how I would go about doing it, but in all probability, they'll just give you a iPhone 4 black refurb:
    1) Make a massive fuss;
    2) Emphasise that you've been here *3* times and it's costing you petrol;
    3) Say, explicitly, that the iPhone white, according to internet sources, doesn't have the screen issue.

Then see how it goes from there.

5. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

Are you for serious?:eek: No wonder prices of things continue to explode. People like you that think that the rules are for everyone else

6. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Haha ****ing awesome, this is exactly what to do! It's actually unbelievable surprising how many people don't argue and make a fuss, you might as well.

7. kawasakirider thread starter macrumors regular

Lmao, you sound like my mother... She is SO embarrassing to go shopping with :p

8. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I like how Nishi says "your costing me petrol", instead of gas :)

9. Nishi100, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011

Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Fine. If you ever have a iPod Touch / iPhone / iPad with a lot of dust behind the screen, then keep it - Apple don't replace iDevices with dust underneath the screen now. Even if it's horrendous, they'll blame it on you - which is very un-Apple like, but - they do.

So, if you want to keep your device with dust under the screen, then go ahead; I'll enjoy my dust-free screen.

It's what we say in England. Why? Does it mean something else in ... where you are? :)

Except I'm a man well, physically - not mentally (my mental age is 9). And, I'm slightly younger (I hope) than your mother.

10. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

I am not saying that you shouldn't get a replacement. Allz I am asking is, Why the eff do you feel like you should be given a brand new device is you have flaws??? I know of no other phone company that replaces defective phones with NOB replacements....

11. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I'm just one of the many stupid Americans. We would say "your costing me gas" ;)

Petrol sounds cool though. Im going to start using it from now on :)

12. Nishi100, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011

Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Well, the same thing had been happening three times with refurbs. And, I thought that maybe Apple had fixed the problem with the 3G's and I've already had problems with the refurbs that I'd had; so I just wanted to it to be over and know that I have the latest, brand new device, that shouldn't have any dust problems with it and it hasn't.

And, my mum was getting ------- off, as she had to take me to the Apple store (yes, I failed my driving test - twice).

I say American language, just because it sounds better:
    - Cookies instead of Biscuits - just because cookies sound nicer;
    - Do you know what's really confusing: chips, crisps and fries. When we go to America and ask for some chips they say "What flavour?" And, we're just like: "Whaaaaaaaaat?"
    - I say apartment, not flat;
    - I say pharmacist, not chemist.

13. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Yeah I don't understand why refurbs have yellow tinted screens. Apple's refurbs are garbage IN MY opinion. Maybe it's the ones where I live.

14. kawasakirider thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, I'm an Aussie, we say petrol or fuel here, too. Gas implies it is not a liquid, but a gas lol.

15. solowmodel macrumors 6502

You sound like stereotypical PITA customer :(

16. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

You sir, are one of the many reasons why retail jobs suck. Good on ya.

17. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'll tell you this much, if you follow the gentleman with the mental age of 9's advice you may likely be walking out of the Apple Store with exactly what you walked in with.

Whenever I have had a problem I have always been calm and articulate and gone in expecting nothing - they've always taken care of me. I have seen them flat out deny irate customers any help on principle alone.

All that said, the only way they would replace your black phone with a white one is if they're all out of black ones. About your warranty, you will either receive the remainder of your warranty or three months - whichever is more.

18. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

+1...Anytime I've had a problem with any apple product they have either fixed it or replaced it without a problem. You treat people with respect and your going to get it right back.

19. iFiend macrumors 65816

This.

I was on my 4th iPhone 4 replacement when I got a cluster of dead pixels. Not having a car right now (live in the city) it was such a pain to get to the Apple store. Called up AppleCare, very politely told them that they needed to do something for me, and I climbed my way up the manager ladder on the phone. 2 hours later I had them sending me a brand new iPhone straight off the line in Shenzen :) Came in retail packaging like I had just bought it and have been extremely pleased with it for 3 months.

I think Apple refurbs do suck. And I think they know it because they said that "since I had so many problems with their refurbs they would give me a new unit"

20. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Agreed. I got a brand new one too until it stopped working. Now I am back with the refurb's.

I use my phone a lot for business and to be honest, the cheap plastic phones everyone hates on here, never broke for me. My blackberries I had many years ago still work.

I still love my iPhone and will never go back, however.

21. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

you do realize that refurbs go through more quality control than new Apple products, right?

and to be honest, if i was dealing with a customer like you i would've told you off and you wouldn't have gotten anything replaced. you don't tell me how to do my job. i hate people like you

22. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

And you would be fired if you told a customer off.

Been working with customers the last 10+ years for experience.

23. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

You're fired.

24. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

depends on your manager/situation

i've been dealing with customers for 5+ years and if a customer tries to push me around i tell them how it is. if they yell at me, i yell back. i obviously try to diffuse the situation first but it doesn't always work

^ this person is obviously one of those who needs it there way or no way.

thank god i have a reasonable manager. he's backed me up and sided with me countless of times

25. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

True. I agree with you. It does depend a lot on certain situations.

I doubt apple will tell of a customer though haha.