Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
True. I agree with you. It does depend a lot on certain situations.

I doubt apple will tell of a customer though haha.

i doubt it too, but i'm just saying if it was me dealing with someone yelling cause they're not getting there way.. it wouldn't help their cause. and that goes for any line of work really, not necessarily retail.

i don't work retail but i do deal with customers on a daily basis.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
This.

I was on my 4th iPhone 4 replacement when I got a cluster of dead pixels. Not having a car right now (live in the city) it was such a pain to get to the Apple store. Called up AppleCare, very politely told them that they needed to do something for me, and I climbed my way up the manager ladder on the phone. 2 hours later I had them sending me a brand new iPhone straight off the line in Shenzen :) Came in retail packaging like I had just bought it and have been extremely pleased with it for 3 months.

I think Apple refurbs do suck. And I think they know it because they said that "since I had so many problems with their refurbs they would give me a new unit"

I had that happen too--I had several iPhone 4 replacements (can't remember if it was 4 or 5) before I finally gave up and just called Apple Care instead of going into the store. The person I worked with said that since I'd had so many problems, she would ship me a new in the box iPhone 4. I even got a new set of headphones and a charger.

My problem was that I kept getting the same jerk at the Genius Bar who kept insisting that my home button problem was all in my head. (If he said "it's all about timing" one more time, I was going to punch him.)

Most of the time they're very good to you at the store, but they do seem to get sick of repeat visitors with problems. Luckily my current iPhone 4 (the new in the box one) is working well and my iPad 2 had zero problems out of the box.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I had that happen too--I had several iPhone 4 replacements (can't remember if it was 4 or 5) before I finally gave up and just called Apple Care instead of going into the store. The person I worked with said that since I'd had so many problems, she would ship me a new in the box iPhone 4. I even got a new set of headphones and a charger.

My problem was that I kept getting the same jerk at the Genius Bar who kept insisting that my home button problem was all in my head. (If he said "it's all about timing" one more time, I was going to punch him.)

Most of the time they're very good to you at the store, but they do seem to get sick of repeat visitors with problems. Luckily my current iPhone 4 (the new in the box one) is working well and my iPad 2 had zero problems out of the box.

I am going to do this. What number did you call?

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA
depends on your manager/situation

i've been dealing with customers for 5+ years and if a customer tries to push me around i tell them how it is. if they yell at me, i yell back. i obviously try to diffuse the situation first but it doesn't always work

^ this person is obviously one of those who needs it there way or no way.

thank god i have a reasonable manager. he's backed me up and sided with me countless of times

#1 rule in "retail/sales/any business in which you work with people" is never lose your cool... Once that happens you look like a jerk to anyone else around you...Your professionalism goes down to zero...This "I yell back" mentality will get you nowhere fast :rolleyes:

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
#1 rule in "retail/sales/any business in which you work with people" is never lose your cool... Once that happens you look like a jerk to anyone else around you...Your professionalism goes down to zero...This "I yell back" mentality will get you nowhere fast :rolleyes:

you obviously haven't dealt with idiots before. there's only so much a human being can handle with someone who has a negative IQ and lacks common sense.

ball4lyfe

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
This is how I got a brand new iPod Touch, which was (at the time) a generation ahead (basically a free upgrade):

1) I made a massive fuss;
2) I emphasised that I'd been here 3 times and it's costing me petrol;
3) I say, explicitly, that the newer (I had the 2G) 3G model doesn't have the dust problem;
4) He then replaced it for the 3G refurbished, and I said: "I would like a brand new one, as refurbished ones have been taken apart; therefore, dust could've gotten in to it."
5) After a bit of arguing, he said, "Would you like to talk to the manager?"
6) I said, "Yes."
7) He couldn't find the manager, and, by this time, a long queue had built up, so he gave in and gave me a new iPod Touch 3G.

This is how I would go about doing it, but in all probability, they'll just give you a iPhone 4 black refurb:
1) Make a massive fuss;
2) Emphasise that you've been here *3* times and it's costing you petrol;
3) Say, explicitly, that the iPhone white, according to internet sources, doesn't have the screen issue.

Then see how it goes from there.

And you did embarrass yourself for a mere upgrade?? I would've just spend an extra 100 or 150 to upgrade without having to embarrass myself. :rolleyes:

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA
you obviously haven't dealt with idiots before. there's only so much a human being can handle with someone who has a negative IQ and lacks common sense.

I've dealt with aggressive customers on more occasions than I can count (Retail Sales, Customer Service, Call centers, as a Financial Advisor, and now just in the Financial Services Industry), but obviously you can't take good advice when its presented to you. Trust me...you keep doing what you are doing and it will come back to bite you some day.

whiteyanderson

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Hollywood, California

Ever thought that YOU'RE the reason for the irate customers? Seriously. You can blame the problems on the customers, but from what I see, it's because of reps like YOU that customers go over the edge. Don't forget that without that "low IQ" customer, your check doesn't get written.

Unfortunately, more and more customer service reps have your attitude. No wonder everyones all pissed off. If you can't deal with it, then grow a spine and get another "career".

You yell at me over a product/service issue? I will be walking out not only with what I came in for, but you'll be walking out jobless. I guarantee it.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
This is how I got a brand new iPod Touch, which was (at the time) a generation ahead (basically a free upgrade):

1) I made a massive fuss;
2) I emphasised that I'd been here 3 times and it's costing me petrol;
3) I say, explicitly, that the newer (I had the 2G) 3G model doesn't have the dust problem;
4) He then replaced it for the 3G refurbished, and I said: "I would like a brand new one, as refurbished ones have been taken apart; therefore, dust could've gotten in to it."
5) After a bit of arguing, he said, "Would you like to talk to the manager?"
6) I said, "Yes."
7) He couldn't find the manager, and, by this time, a long queue had built up, so he gave in and gave me a new iPod Touch 3G.

This is how I would go about doing it, but in all probability, they'll just give you a iPhone 4 black refurb:
1) Make a massive fuss;
2) Emphasise that you've been here *3* times and it's costing you petrol;
3) Say, explicitly, that the iPhone white, according to internet sources, doesn't have the screen issue.

Then see how it goes from there.

joke is on you because refurbs are more often than not better than getting it new. Refurbs go through more testing.

I therefore hope yours breaks for that very reason!

anonymous guy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
From what I've heard, all refurbs and the current run of iPhone 4s have yellow-tinted screens from a change in screen manufacturer.

The blue screens were from the initial product run.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
From what I've heard, all refurbs and the current run of iPhone 4s have yellow-tinted screens from a change in screen manufacturer.

The blue screens were from the initial product run.

Untrue. an iPhone 4 my Gf purchased April 22, 2011 that was made the 3rd week of Jan, was a blue tinted screen.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
first I wish the OP luck

Hope it all goes well.

99.9% percent of the time I am very pleasant at the 5th Avenue Apple store, but over the last month I got a rather arrogant manager early in the morning who pretended not to know the educational discount and tried to give me less until I pulled it up on an iMac in the store.

He did this several times and lied about several things in order not to exchange and/or refund everything I paid out.

Granted, I really wasn't sure what I wanted and I was at that store exchanging returning a LOT over a two week period. But I was very pleasant until the very last time when I showed him proof about battery cycles. He was pissed.

Yes, I can be a real PIA customer but I always try to put kindness and a little "stupid" out first. That always works. However if the manager tries to pull one on me as this one tried repeatidly, I will lock horns. I don't expect perfection from Apple any more but within the 14 days of return I'm in the right, esp. when this same manager and other cashiers were deliberately holding back information or playing stupid on their own with other customers.

Not always this bitchy... but ... it happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.