Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themoz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
OK, here's my Apple hardware:

- iPhone 4s w/ Verizon on an unlimited phone, text and grandfathered 3G data plan
- iPad 3 w/ Verizon 4G LTE (the sim card was originally in a Verizon Samsung hotspot on a 3 gb data plan but removed and cut down to fit the iPad 3 - works fine, no issues)

Question: Is there a way to have the Verizon data plans switched so the grandfathered iPhone 4s 3G plan now becomes an unlimited 4G plan on the iPad 3 and the 3 gb 4G LTE plan becomes a limited 3G plan on the IPhone 4s.

I would have no heartburn switching or loosing my current phone numbers if needed. I've found since purchasing an iPad 3 with data, I much less data on my iPhone and much more on my iPad.

I've called Verizon and everyone seems to be clueless or just gives me the run around.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I really don't think this is possible. Grandfathered unlimited data is for contract phones, and IIRC Verizon iPads aren't contract. Since there is no SIM on CDMA, there's no apparent method of transfer of data plans. Verizon definitely doesn't want you doing it, either.

iCrosoft

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I really don't think this is possible. Grandfathered unlimited data is for contract phones, and IIRC Verizon iPads aren't contract. Since there is no SIM on CDMA, there's no apparent method of transfer of data plans. Verizon definitely doesn't want you doing it, either.

WRONG. Verizon would rather you pay extra for a tiered plan so they can make more profit from you but having unlimited data on the LTE iPad is by no means against ANY of their policies.

----------

Question: Is there a way to have the Verizon data plans switched so the grandfathered iPhone 4s 3G plan now becomes an unlimited 4G plan on the iPad 3 and the 3 gb 4G LTE plan becomes a limited 3G plan on the IPhone 4s.

First, you need a 4G LTE smartphone (borrow one from a friend but have him keep his sim card) that uses a micro sim card. Goto a Verizon store after you've acquired the smartphone (without a sim card installed) and have them set it up on the phone number associated with the unlimited data. They will provide you with a new sim card. Once complete, walk out of the store and simply take the micro sim card out of the smartphone and insert it into your LTE iPad.

You will need to start a new line of service (hopefully you have a family plan) for your iPhone.

Cancel your hotspot 3GB data plan.

themoz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
First, you need a 4G LTE smartphone (borrow one from a friend but have him keep his sim card) that uses a micro sim card. Goto a Verizon store after you've acquired the smartphone (without a sim card installed) and have them set it up on the phone number associated with the unlimited data. They will provide you with a new sim card. Once complete, walk out of the store and simply take the micro sim card out of the smartphone and insert it into your LTE iPad.

iCrosoft, thanks for the reply and explanation. Ironically Verizon has put a chink in my plan with the recent announcement that grandfathered unlimited data plans are going away.

Is the "speculation" that we'll lose our grandfathered data when our current plans expire (even if we keep the same device) or we'll loose our grandfathered data when we upgrade to a new device from our current device?

That leads to my next question- if I get my 3g unlimited data "transferred" to a 4g phone and take that sim card out (and cut down if needed) then put it in my iPad 3 will I be able to keep my grandfathered plan indefinitely (or at least until the next data transfer standard) if I don't upgrade that phone or plan? :confused:

Could use some insight.

Note: I use very little data on my iPhone 4s. Only 1-1.5 gb per month (or less). But use 10x that on my iPad (hotspot sharing, web surfing, streaming, etc.)

Last edited:

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
iCrosoft, thanks for the reply and explanation. Ironically Verizon has put a chink in my plan with the recent announcement that grandfathered unlimited data plans are going away.

Is the "speculation" that we'll lose our grandfathered data when our current plans expire (even if we keep the same device) or we'll loose our grandfathered data when we upgrade to a new device from our current device?

That leads to my next question- if I get my 3g unlimited data "transferred" to a 4g phone and take that sim card out (and cut down if needed) then put it in my iPad 3 will I be able to keep my grandfathered plan indefinitely (or at least until the next data transfer standard) if I don't upgrade that phone or plan? :confused:

Could use some insight.

you can transfer your verizon unlimited plan to your iPad no problem, that was the first thing I did when I got the iPad 3, give a few to find the posts. It's a some what easy process.

I can't speak for the 3gb plan goin 3G but its worth a call to try.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
OK, here's my Apple hardware:

- iPhone 4s w/ Verizon on an unlimited phone, text and grandfathered 3G data plan
- iPad 3 w/ Verizon 4G LTE (the sim card was originally in a Verizon Samsung hotspot on a 3 gb data plan but removed and cut down to fit the iPad 3 - works fine, no issues)

I would have no heartburn switching or loosing my current phone numbers if needed. I've found since purchasing an iPad 3 with data, I much less data on my iPhone and much more on my iPad.

I've called Verizon and everyone seems to be clueless or just gives me the run around.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14633236#post14633236

Read my post and everything below it as its informative.

iCrosoft

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010

According to this article, you lose unlimited if you "upgrade". This is exactly what Sprint did with their SERO $30 plans. Making it a very sensitive plan to keep, if you even sneeze you may lose unlmited data.

VZW said:
Customers will not be automatically moved to new shared data plans. If a 3G or 4G smartphone customer is on an unlimited plan now and they do not want to change their plan, they will not have to do so.

http://gizmodo.com/5911254/verizon-unlimited-data-not-quite-dead-but-theres-no-point-in-keeping-it/

Last edited:

themoz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
Typing this on my iPad 3 with unlimited verizon 4G!!! :D

Thanks again to those who contributed input and insight!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.