Swatch Prepares to Go Head-to-Head With Apple Watch

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Reading and comprehension would help you greatly. When did I say Swatch should not compete? In fact I said that Swatch never spoke up against the other swatches on the market, but you're too busy with your anti Apple thoughts to comprehend that. :rolleyes:
I will say it. They will not compete, successfully.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Reading and comprehension would help you greatly. When did I say Swatch should not compete? In fact I said that Swatch never spoke up against the other swatches on the market, but you're too busy with your anti Apple thoughts to comprehend that. :rolleyes:
Nothing I said was anti Apple. And your complaining about my comprehension..... Yea, I can roll eyes too.
:rolleyes:

In fact, I think the Apple Watch is quite a cool device, just let down by ****** battery life.

Your complaining that Swatch are a me-too company making a smart watch that only bothered after Apple announced its watch. Like I said, existing watch companies have to move with trends, otherwise they'll pretty much die - i.e., Polaroid. There's a large enough market to realize that smart watches are going to be significant, so consumer watch companies better start creating such devices.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
is the original statement in either german, french or Italien? I'd like to read what he actually said. the "without charging" bit seems like "lost in translation"

Bruce Oksol

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
Texas
milliondollarway.blogspot.com
A hand crank?

Quote: "Some of the biggest claims Swatch makes about its upcoming smartwatch include the ability to connect to the Internet "without having to be charged."

I assume the Swatch will come with a hand crank. LOL.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
More competition isn't a bad thing, but I doubt Swatch will do well.

I guess it doesn't matter to me either way. After reading about the abysmal battery life of the Apple watch, I went out and bought an automatic watch. It doesn't have notifications or taps or whatever, but it looks fantastic and I'll never have to charge it.

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
There we go: Apple Watch is set to reach game changer status by being the first to truly be fashionable. None of the other smartwatches caused a high end watch manufacturer to enter the market.
True. This is a significant development because it shows who Apple's competitors really are. It isn't Samsung or LG or Motorola. It's Swatch and other mid-range watch makers.

Jimmy James

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I was interested in pda's and smartphones years before the iphone was released. All of the offerings were terrible. But I really wanted the technology.

I'm also interested in smart watches but they have far less appeal to me. I'm very curious to see if they become completely mainstream.

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
:apple: Watch exclusivity to Apple new tech plus iOS means world domination for Apple again.

Sorry Swatch and co. ... Too late in the party at the smartwatch arena ... Enjoy your dumb watches or those other fugly smartwatches already available, guys!

Apple is here for a very long dominating run at computing technology etc regardless of platform.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I agree that Apple's presence in the market will make a significant difference and uptake, but I disagree that the market is over-saturated. There will always be room for someone new to come along and do it significantly better, although that is rare.
I agree with that. The apple watch and android wear have such an advantage over the competition b.c they control, for the most part, the software.

I just think entering the market now is a poor choice.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I agree that Apple's presence in the market will make a significant difference and uptake, but I disagree that the market is over-saturated. There will always be room for someone new to come along and do it significantly better, although that is rare.
I think Apple have proven, if you have a good enough product ( think iPod ) then there's already space.

Which one buys Pebble?
Pebble are doing pretty well.. maybe another company may buy them for their technology and knowledge base.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
All of these non-tech watch companies are going to be in for a huge shock when they try to make smart watches. It took Apple billions of dollars and several years to build the Apple Watch, yet Swatch is going to build one equally as good in 3 months? Riiiiiiiight. Apple Watch will embarrass smart watch competitors for the next 2 years before they finally start to catch up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndycU_dUHNQ

Like this? Looks a lot better then what apple has shown so far . If it took apple realy this long and costing that much with not more functionality then what they have shown, I would be really disapointed .

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Good luck swatch. It seems impossible for a non-tech company like swatch to make something that competes with Apple's watch. But Swatch is a really big enterprise and there is probably space to play here. Maybe they can't compete with full smartwatch. But maybe they can compete with Fitibit or other such devices. Or maybe even with Pebble. I think there is space for an E-Ink watch and Apple won't fill it.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
All of these non-tech watch companies are going to be in for a huge shock when they try to make smart watches. It took Apple billions of dollars and several years to build the Apple Watch, yet Swatch is going to build one equally as good in 3 months? Riiiiiiiight. Apple Watch will embarrass smart watch competitors for the next 2 years before they finally start to catch up.
'billions of dollars'
'several years'

Far from it. Even in the keynote, Tim Cook said they'd just been working on it for about 6 months. And if you really think the Apple Watch is the result of billions of dollars, you must be easily impressed. The iPhone was billions of dollars and several years. The Apple Watch is not.

Wasn't this the point of the digital crown? Did you notice how the Apple Watch interface actually works or just look at a picture, scoff, and rant?
Yeah, the digital crown is so innovative and clever. Remember those old projectors when you'd twirl a nob and it'll zoom in? It's the absolute laziest way around the limitations of a small screen. It's too small to use multitouch, so they descend to the next lazy idea.

I'm as much an Apple fan as the rest of you, but why on Earth so many people seem to be lapping up the Apple Watch is beyond me. Battery life is pitiful (after everybody was laughing about Samsung's 2-day battery life, saying Apple would never release something like that), and the user interface/general usefulness of it seems to offer very little.

I don't know, am I missing something?

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
Visit site
Completely.

It amazes me that swatch think that because they have experience of making a piece of jewellery that people where on their wrists, they have some insight into what people want from a smart device.

The reason apple succeeded in the phone market is because the problem the industry faced at the time was software and usability - completely in apples ballpark.

Swatch may succeed, but it won't be because of their experience in the traditional watch market.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Connect to the internet without having to be charged. What does that mean? This device is going to have wifi and cellular and not require charging? How is that possible.
There should be no need for WIFI or Cellular on a Smart watch. Low power Bluetooth which can work with any manufacturer's phone to connect to the internet is a much more interesting concept.

Still don't see it not needing to be charged but it should consume a lot less power.

Reason077

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2007
Connect to the internet without having to be charged. What does that mean? This device is going to have wifi and cellular and not require charging? How is that possible.
It means it doesn't use rechargeable batteries. Instead of having to charge it every day (very annoying!), you just buy new batteries. Simple!

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
It means it doesn't use rechargeable batteries. Instead of having to charge it every day (very annoying!), you just buy new batteries. Simple!
And how long does the battery last when you're connecting to the internet?

rafrafdesign

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2014
It has been a couple of centuries that the swiss watchmakers have been training to use technology to improve and make amazing mechanisms for billions of watches. Swatch group has been able to reinvent itself at a time when there were many challenges on the market with the invention of the swatch. I would not undermine what they are capable.

I seriously would prefer a watch from Switzerland than a blocky Apple watch made in Shenzhen. Will the Apple be "scratch-resistant" to daily usage like their laptops… or will we need to remove the watch before washing your hand? since in 2015 iPhones are still not waterproof?