Sweat will ruin the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hubyluvsmac, Jul 21, 2010.

1. hubyluvsmac macrumors newbie

Even though the iPhone 4 is advertised as an item with which to exercise (e.g., Nike app that is designed for runners), it is not water resistant. Sweat will seep into it.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

How is the iphone 4 advertised as an item to exercise?
    Iphones do alot of things and if you plan to use it for whatever reason make sure it doesnt get wet just like any other electronic device such as ipods cause any liquid will cause damage.
    Everyone knows its not waterproof, no cellphone is.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

4. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502a

Mikey86uk

well unless you sweat really bad ( i mean really bad) i don't think the phone not being waterproof really applies here.

surely sweat wont set the water damage detectors off?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Actually a single drop of sweat or rain falls in the headphone or the bottom hole the sensor will turn pink and no more AppleCare.

6. extrachrispy macrumors regular

extrachrispy

Yup. My phone goes into a pair of ziploc-style snack bags (done so the zip of the inner bag is opposite the zip of the outer bag) before going into my jersey pocket. I prefer putting it into my tool bag (safer in a crash, plus the phone bounces against my back when I'm out of the saddle), but until I have a bomb-proof case that will fit into the tool bag (which, alas, rules out a Pelican case), it goes into my jersey pocket.

Fortunately, you can still work the screen and make calls without removing the phone from the snack bags; however, if you want to take pictures, the bags have to come off, so make sure to wipe your hands first.

7. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502a

Mikey86uk

is there an internal one?

i wouldn't class a rain drop or sweat as being water-damaged lol.

if i ever had a problem, then if i no theres an internal one i can ask them to check that one!

8. jyj macrumors member

you might not classify one drop as water damage (nor i), but i think a lot of people had experiences with geniuses that have a different opinion!

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, there is also an internal one.
    But even with one sensor turned red they can deny warranty on your phone.
    Just so you know.

Exactly.

10. leeschill macrumors member

11. jyj macrumors member

I think have Nike+ installed stock on the iPhone affirms that they expect some people to use it while exercising.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, but I dont see it advertised anywhere.
    The iphone can do a million things and obviously you cant advertise them all.
    But again that doesnt mean you dont have to pay attention to sweat or any kind of liquid damage to your device just because it has a Nike app installed.

13. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

haha

This thread is over the top.

It's electronic...water = bad. To my knowledge, this hasn't changed since the dawn of electricity.

Next thing you'll know, people will be trying to take underwater pics with the iPhone 4.