Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today released an update for SwiftKey that includes a handful of new features including emoji prediction and enhancements to 3D Touch gestures.

Users who tap on the emoji key will now see a new prediction panel that automatically suggests up to 18 relevant emoji depending on what they type, saving them the trouble of searching through the entire list.

ios-new-themes-fan-SM-B-768x401.jpg

The update also includes eight new "Oxygen" themes adding up to a spectrum of vibrant colors for SwiftKey keyboards. The new hues can be found in the Design section of the app and include Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Light Blue, Blue, Purple, and Pink.

In addition, Microsoft said it had made substantial improvements to the responsiveness of 3D Touch gestures in SwiftKey on supporting iPhones, including those that trigger cursor control and cursor movement. Haptic feedback has also been implemented for some keyboard actions, such as opening the emoji panel.

Lastly, SwiftKey added support for 15 new languages including Egyptian Arabic, Tanglish, Bambara, Wolof, Mossi, Greenlandic, and Northern Sami. See here for the full list.

SwiftKey is a free download for iPhone and iPad on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: SwiftKey Update Brings Emoji Prediction, 'Oxygen' Themes, and More Languages

Reactions: Sunny1990

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Firstly, thanks for the article and news update, as this is the keyboard I use.

Secondly, am I reading this right!? Microsoft!? Since when do they own SwiftKey!?

Thirdly, I've had SwiftKey installed since 3rd party keyboards were allowed and love it!!! This seems like it makes the app even better!!!

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Reactions: jef82

Cronbo

Suspended
Sep 11, 2016
That's my question too, it used to be the developer had acces to all what you typed on this keyboard, is this still the case?

Yes it is currently listed as a warning under Third Party Keyboards setting under General settings on iOS.

There's no way in hell im using a third party keyboard, specially from Microsoft or Google, who value my privacy like pedophiles value innocence...

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
Yes it is currently listed as a warning under Third Party Keyboards setting under General settings on iOS.

There's no way in hell im using a third party keyboard, specially from Microsoft or Google, who value my privacy like pedophiles value innocence...
Wouldn't it serve you better to know what Swiftkey does instead of perpetuating an unsubstantiated idea that using it opens you up to a nefarious privacy plot by Microsoft? I assume you to be an intelligent person who values knowledge over speculation. I mean, why guess when you can easily find out exactly what they do?
https://support.swiftkey.com/hc/en-us/articles/201466641-Why-does-SwiftKey-need-Full-Access-

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
If my understanding is correct, Once using a third party keyboard, one opens up a security hole.

That's my question too, it used to be the developer had acces to all what you typed on this keyboard, is this still the case?

Each keyboard you add will have a switch in the settings that either allow or deny "Full Access". In some cases, Full Access returns what you've typed to the developer. I've turned those off for the several keyboards I've added to my iPad and iPhone.

My biggest gripe about all these third party keyboards is that Apple does not allow access to the microphone when using these apps. This is an Apple problem, not a developer problem. I use dictation all the time, so that is a big let down for me.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Meh. I was excited when I saw emoji prediction, but it still requires you to switch to an emoji keyboard to see their predictions. Until they offer inline emoji prediction (e.g. xoxo = blowing kiss emoji) like the Apple keyboards, Swiftkey's few advantages aren't enough.

Apple and Swiftkey both need to figure out how to handle 3 simultaneous languages (e.g. English, French, and Spanish), ideally with context recognition.

Reactions: Rastapopoulos

S G

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
I wish Swiftkey would allow 3 languages to be used at the same time in iOS, and would implement cursor control without 3D touch (for SE phones), like GBoard does. It's still my default keyboard since it became allowed, but these updates have been very slow and disappointing.

Cronbo

Suspended
Sep 11, 2016
Wouldn't it serve you better to know what Swiftkey does instead of perpetuating an unsubstantiated idea that using it opens you up to a nefarious privacy plot by Microsoft? I assume you to be an intelligent person who values knowledge over speculation. I mean, why guess when you can easily find out exactly what they do?
https://support.swiftkey.com/hc/en-us/articles/201466641-Why-does-SwiftKey-need-Full-Access-

Yeah because Microsoft hasn't put in back doors on their software before... And of course they're going tell you they did and put it on a webpage if they did? Hahaha

In their own words:
"That warning message (which is displayed before a user allows Full Access) is there to make sure you are aware of what is technically possible before making a decision about whether to trust the developer of a keyboard extension."

You can trust whomever you want, but the FACT remains, it's a security hole. Good luck with that... make sure to type all your passwords using a third party keyboard....

Last edited by a moderator:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
Yeah because Microsoft hasn't put in back doors on their software before... And of course they're going tell you they did and put it on a webpage if they did?
In their own words:
"That warning message (which is displayed before a user allows Full Access) is there to make sure you are aware of what is technically possible before making a decision about whether to trust the developer of a keyboard extension."

You can trust whomever you want, but the FACT remains, it's a security hole. Good luck with that... make sure to type all your passwords using a third party keyboard....

Pretty sure if Swiftkey was doing anything close to what you imply Apple would kick them out of the App Store forthwith. But hey, it makes more sense for me to believe your unsupported accusations instead of trusting Apple to ensure devs are doing what they claim.

By your definition of security hole, every app on the App Store is a security hole since they can all hypothetically change things behind the scene. Security consciousness is a good thing. Unfounded and unsubstantiated implications under the guise of security is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: arkitect

Cronbo

Suspended
Sep 11, 2016
I'm pretty sure I trust what Apple says about the security risks of using a third party keyboard on their OS. It's put there in black and white, under the keyboard settings. So to deny that it's a security risk is naïveté and foolish. To trust Microsoft given their track record is also naïveté and foolish. Your trust is misplaced. I stand by my original statement which is backed by Apple's engineers and security experts. There's a reason they put the warning there. And no amount of naive trust in what is written on the Devs blog post will change THE FACT that it's a security risk. You can continue debating with Apple on this one...

Pretty sure if Swiftkey was doing anything close to what you imply Apple would kick them out of the App Store forthwith. But hey, it makes more sense for me to believe your unsupported accusations instead of trusting Apple to ensure devs are doing what they claim.

By your definition of security hole, every app on the App Store is a security hole since they can all hypothetically change things behind the scene. Security consciousness is a good thing. Unfounded and unsubstantiated implications under the guise of security is not.

Micool1

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2014
Yeah because Microsoft hasn't put in back doors on their software before... And of course they're going tell you they did and put it on a webpage if they did? Hahaha

In their own words:

When entering a password you can only use the Apple keyboard.

doobydoooby

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Genève, Switzerland
My biggest gripe about all these third party keyboards is that Apple does not allow access to the microphone when using these apps. This is an Apple problem, not a developer problem. I use dictation all the time, so that is a big let down for me.

Google's Gboard has integrated a dictation option and it works pretty well. When you hold the space bar it opens up a dictation window, very quick and seems pretty accurate. Worth a try!

Reactions: tgara

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It must be because 3rd party keyboards pose a security risk... Hmm, I wonder where I've read that before...
Or because of perception and Apple just not wanting to remove doubt.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I totally forgot third party keyboards even existed. Android users used to go on about it being one of the biggest tangible benefits of Android over iOS and then when they came out I think about 5% of iOS users bother to use them.

(*I completely plucked 5% from thin air, but I don't know anyone who does)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's an assumption.... they clearly state it's a security risk; I don't know why this is even debated lol...
And yet Apple not just allows them but specifically created support for them. Interesting logic there.

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
I use it now and then. 3rd party keyboards usually crash or disappear sometimes. I trust Microsoft way more than Google and would never give another keyboard full access. I see alot of crappy keyboards with animated ui or just different colors. That crap will never get on my devices. I use swiftkey because Apple doesn't give us swipe keyboard.

Also 3rd party keyboards doesn't work for passwords because of security concerns.

Cronbo

Suspended
Sep 11, 2016
And yet Apple not just allows them but specifically created support for them. Interesting logic there.

Yes things can be a risk AND allowed by Apple, they just let you know, and everyone can make their choice. Just like they do on macOS with apps installed outside the AppStore ecosystem. The user has to disable the tighter security settings but can do so at their discretion....

It IS telling however, that only the native iOS keyboard is allowed for entering passwords... which again proves THE FACT that Devs can siphon WHATEVER one types on their keyboards.

Interesting logic indeed...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.