Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
When in any internet browser using three fingers swiping left or right moved you through the history of pages in your browser. Like if I clicked a thread to read it then swiped left with three fingers to the left to get back to the original forum.

THis is now gone with the Lion update. I used this function very heavily so I was seeing if anybody knows how to enable the feature again or if it is just a bug and will be fixed (which is something i read this morning).

I have searched but couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Martin.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Gone with Lion.

Safari still supports "swiping between pages". With a magic mouse, it's one finger left/right. With a trackpad, it's different. If you look in System Preferences > Mouse (or Track Pad), it'll show you what the gesture is.

I'd imagine that Firefox will eventually get it back, but that's just a guess.

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
I use chrome and I have not figured out how to get it back. Very frustrated. Hopefully there will be some sort of update for this.

I'm all for adding new features. But do not take old ones away. At least leave it just turned off or something....

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I have 3 finger swipe to navigate on Chrome in Lion. I just ticked "Swipe with 2 or 3 fingers" under "swipe between pages"

Though the option says 2 or 3 fingers, only 3 fingers work in Chrome. Whatever, I'm happy.

meerkat35

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
I have 3 finger swipe to navigate on Chrome in Lion. I just ticked "Swipe with 2 or 3 fingers" under "swipe between pages"

Though the option says 2 or 3 fingers, only 3 fingers work in Chrome. Whatever, I'm happy.

This will work and should be the answer to the subject! :)

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
That did cause me some issues when I first switched to Lion, but setting it up in preferences, with "Swipe between pages" - "Swipe left or right with three fingers", works just fine, in Safari, in FireFox, you name it.

mmduluth

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2011
Do you mean something like pressing the back button in your browser?

In safari if you take 2 fingers and slide them to the right, it acts as a back button. What am I missing here?

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA

Ya I have the same set up. 2 finger swipe allows the card swipe in Safari. 3 finger allows me to go back and forth in apps like finder and system pref where 2 finger swipe does jack but scroll.

Gram11

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
in system preferences go to track pad, select more gestures under the swipe between pages check box select the drop down,(the black triangle after the word fingers) then select the the option you are looking for (swipe left or right with 3 fingers). this will enable you to swipe through internet history. this brought it back.

mffl04

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
in system preferences go to track pad, select more gestures under the swipe between pages check box select the drop down,(the black triangle after the word fingers) then select the the option you are looking for (swipe left or right with 3 fingers). this will enable you to swipe through internet history. this brought it back.

This worked for me, Thanks!

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
It aggravates me that two finger swipe doesn't navigate photos in iPhoto or through the MAS anymore.

How ridiculous of Apple to remove that from iPhoto. That was some 'big' feature they touted with gestures in SL.

I swear, Apple has a dartboard with a bunch of features on it and some days they just say "Ok, whichever one we hit next we will remove!"

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I don't know what you think does not work in iPhoto? I can easily navigate Events in iPhoto, as well as Pictures in Events. I dbl. click on a picture, and I three-finger swipe left/right and go from picture to picture. I "swirl" two fingers, and I turn the picture around, as well as zoom in and out.

Bo

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
in Safari, it's two-finger swipe, but there's no more back/forward swipe in Firefox 3.6. dunno about 4 or 5.

icanboogie

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2008
Berlin
I can easily navigate Events in iPhoto, as well as Pictures in Events. I dbl. click on a picture, and I three-finger swipe left/right and go from picture to picture.

Funny, sure you have installed Lion?
I did, and I can't. Three finger swipe will always go for mission controlled Desktop Change.

No pictures swipe able in iPhoto. Not anymore. This sucks.

edit: maybe old and new trackpads respond differently to Lion, and offer different functionality? Like when Multitouch gestures were introduced?

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I have been on Lion for 4 months now, and use a Trackpad with a Mac Pro. Everytime there was an update, I clean installed and migrated User from TM.

Swipes work all over, in FireFox, in iPhoto, etc. I do think it has a lot to do with how it is setup in Preferences/Trackpad.

(Only checks in listed options)

Point & Click:
Tap to click.
Secondary click - Click or tap with two fingers.
Look up.

Scroll & Zoom:
Zoom in or out.
Smart zoom.
Rotate.

More Gestures:
Swipe between pages - Swipe with two or three fingers.
Swipe between full-screen apps - Swipe left or right with four fingers.
Mission Control - Swipe up with four fingers.
App Expose - Swipe down with four fingers.
Launchpad - Pinch with thumb and three fingers.
Show Desktop - Spread with thumb and three fingers.

Bo

10w40

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
the trick is by using the OPTION key

all you have to do is hold option + swipe with three fingers will bring back the original gesture on SL :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.