Swipe (with 3 fingers) to move forward or backward in page history gone?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by marddin, Jul 20, 2011.

1. marddin macrumors 6502

When in any internet browser using three fingers swiping left or right moved you through the history of pages in your browser. Like if I clicked a thread to read it then swiped left with three fingers to the left to get back to the original forum.

THis is now gone with the Lion update. I used this function very heavily so I was seeing if anybody knows how to enable the feature again or if it is just a bug and will be fixed (which is something i read this morning).

I have searched but couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Martin.

2. OcelotWreak macrumors member

OcelotWreak

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

Gone with Lion.

Safari still supports "swiping between pages". With a magic mouse, it's one finger left/right. With a trackpad, it's different. If you look in System Preferences > Mouse (or Track Pad), it'll show you what the gesture is.

I'd imagine that Firefox will eventually get it back, but that's just a guess.

4. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

I use chrome and I have not figured out how to get it back. Very frustrated. Hopefully there will be some sort of update for this.

I'm all for adding new features. But do not take old ones away. At least leave it just turned off or something....

5. imahawki macrumors 6502a

4 finger swipe now does back/forward in an internet browser in Lion.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I have 3 finger swipe to navigate on Chrome in Lion. I just ticked "Swipe with 2 or 3 fingers" under "swipe between pages"

Though the option says 2 or 3 fingers, only 3 fingers work in Chrome. Whatever, I'm happy.

7. meerkat35 macrumors newbie

This will work and should be the answer to the subject! :)

8. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

That did cause me some issues when I first switched to Lion, but setting it up in preferences, with "Swipe between pages" - "Swipe left or right with three fingers", works just fine, in Safari, in FireFox, you name it.

9. kashyap02004 macrumors member

No it does not.

No it does not. what are you talking about?

10. mmduluth macrumors regular

Do you mean something like pressing the back button in your browser?

In safari if you take 2 fingers and slide them to the right, it acts as a back button. What am I missing here?

11. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

It aggravates me that two finger swipe doesn't navigate photos in iPhoto or through the MAS anymore.

12. mmduluth macrumors regular

I didn’t even notice until you said that.

13. saberahul macrumors 68040

Ya I have the same set up. 2 finger swipe allows the card swipe in Safari. 3 finger allows me to go back and forth in apps like finder and system pref where 2 finger swipe does jack but scroll.

14. Gram11 macrumors newbie

in system preferences go to track pad, select more gestures under the swipe between pages check box select the drop down,(the black triangle after the word fingers) then select the the option you are looking for (swipe left or right with 3 fingers). this will enable you to swipe through internet history. this brought it back.

15. Coconut Bean macrumors newbie

Or use BetterTouchTool, to configure gestures, it even enables more. )for ex. 5 finger up)

Altough not sure it works with Lion, but worth a try:

http://blog.boastr.net/?page_id=1722

16. mffl04 macrumors member

This worked for me, Thanks!

17. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

How ridiculous of Apple to remove that from iPhoto. That was some 'big' feature they touted with gestures in SL.

I swear, Apple has a dartboard with a bunch of features on it and some days they just say "Ok, whichever one we hit next we will remove!"

18. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

I don't know what you think does not work in iPhoto? I can easily navigate Events in iPhoto, as well as Pictures in Events. I dbl. click on a picture, and I three-finger swipe left/right and go from picture to picture. I "swirl" two fingers, and I turn the picture around, as well as zoom in and out.

Bo

19. toxic macrumors 68000

in Safari, it's two-finger swipe, but there's no more back/forward swipe in Firefox 3.6. dunno about 4 or 5.

20. icanboogie macrumors regular

icanboogie

Funny, sure you have installed Lion?
    I did, and I can't. Three finger swipe will always go for mission controlled Desktop Change.

No pictures swipe able in iPhoto. Not anymore. This sucks.

edit: maybe old and new trackpads respond differently to Lion, and offer different functionality? Like when Multitouch gestures were introduced?

21. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

I have been on Lion for 4 months now, and use a Trackpad with a Mac Pro. Everytime there was an update, I clean installed and migrated User from TM.

Swipes work all over, in FireFox, in iPhoto, etc. I do think it has a lot to do with how it is setup in Preferences/Trackpad.

(Only checks in listed options)

Point & Click:
    Tap to click.
    Secondary click - Click or tap with two fingers.
    Look up.

Scroll & Zoom:
    Zoom in or out.
    Smart zoom.
    Rotate.

More Gestures:
    Swipe between pages - Swipe with two or three fingers.
    Swipe between full-screen apps - Swipe left or right with four fingers.
    Mission Control - Swipe up with four fingers.
    App Expose - Swipe down with four fingers.
    Launchpad - Pinch with thumb and three fingers.
    Show Desktop - Spread with thumb and three fingers.

Bo

22. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Maybe I have that setup through better touch tool. My bad.

23. 10w40 macrumors newbie

the trick is by using the OPTION key

all you have to do is hold option + swipe with three fingers will bring back the original gesture on SL :)