Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When Apple revealed the MagSafe Charger for iPhone 12 in October, it also announced a MagSafe Duo Charger that would be coming in the future, but it didn't specify a release date. However, a Swiss Apple authorized reseller claims the MagSafe Duo Charger will officially launch as soon as this month.

magsafe-duo-charger.jpg

Digitec Galaxus is a popular store in Switzerland and is allowing customers to pre-order the $129 MagSafe Duo Charger, which pairs a ‌MagSafe‌ iPhone charger with an Apple Watch charging puck.

The website's disclaimer currently says that orders made today will be delivered between December 16 and 23, and that these dates also go for in-store pickup. However, 9to5Mac first reported that the site said December 21, so it appears to have changed since then.

Apple hasn't provided an update on when the product will be available, so it's hard to know just how "official" the December dates are, but it's not impossible that the authorized seller is correct and that we'll see the MagSafe Duo Charger in stores before the year is out (Apple has already supplied review units to the press).

Despite the $129 price tag, the MagSafe Duo Charger doesn't come with a power adapter. This alone has caused some consternation among Apple users, but it was compounded recently after it was revealed that the ‌MagSafe‌ portion of the charger doesn't even charge at the full 15 watts supported by the standalone ‌MagSafe‌ charger.

Article Link: Swiss Apple Reseller Suggests MagSafe Duo Charger Launches This Month

Last edited:
Reactions: Ravi_MR

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
How resellers can offer a delivery date when there is no change on the Apple store. There are other sites saying it’s been delayed until 2021 and I have seen resellers claiming stock in five days and that was weeks ago

koil

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2019
it looks like some cheap Chinese knock off
This is what I'm excited about, there will certainly be knock-offs of this product that will cost a fraction of the price.

Some will suck of course, but I don't doubt there will be some good ones too, since it's such a simple product!

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I generally prefer original accessories. This is one of those times where I will have to look to the aftermarket. I like the idea of the format and the idea of taking it with me when travel happens again. But, not at $129 x2 since I will need to buy one for my wife too when its time.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
I generally prefer original accessories. This is one of those times where I will have to look to the aftermarket. I like the idea of the format and the idea of taking it with me when travel happens again. But, not at $129 x2 since I will need to buy one for my wife too when its time.
I used to think the same, and then I was surprised how better quality 3rd party accessories (e.g. Nomad) feel compared to Apple's right now. From cases to watch straps and wireless chargers, Apple's offerings are as basic as it gets (or in this case, MIA).

Last edited:

RedWeasel

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
The shipping dates of Digitec don't mean ****. They often just have a shipping date in the future for unavailable stuff that they keep pushing further into the future.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yes - a few reviews have showed this. You need to hold the charger down whilst taking the phone off. Can still be done one-handed, but it's not very slick.
actually no you don't, if you push down on the phone to release it so it doesn't just bring everything up...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.