Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Switch from 6S Plus to XR?

• Total voters

JokerPower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2017
Hello

I’m thinking about upgrading from 6S Plus to XR. What do you think, worth the switch? Cons and pros?

Would be nice to hear from actual users of XR or people who were in my position and switched to XR from 6S Plus

Thanks

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
It's a great phone it would most certainly be a nice upgrade from the 6S+. I got it for my son for Christmas. The only reason I went for the Max was the telephoto lens, other wise I'd have gotten it for myself. Battery life is awesome, screen is great and I really like wireless charging. I'd say go and play with one in person to get a feel if it's for you or not. In the end, only you will know what's best for you.

JokerPower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2017
It's a great phone it would most certainly be a nice upgrade from the 6S+. I got it for my son for Christmas. The only reason I went for the Max was the telephoto lens, other wise I'd have gotten it for myself. Battery life is awesome, screen is great and I really like wireless charging. I'd say go and play with one in person to get a feel if it's for you or not. In the end, only you will know what's best for you.

Thanks for reply. I have tried it in the store and it looks and feels ok to me. But that’s the problem, you can’t judge only after playing with it in the store. There are things that are visible only after some time of using the device.
[doublepost=1549049790][/doublepost]
The 6S plus is still a very capable phone ,Don’t waste your money

Yes, it is, especially with iOS 12

I was thinking about trade-in, so it won’t cost me the full price of XR

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
As long as you are fine with the lower display resolution and PPI, haptic touch as opposed to 3D Touch, then I think it's great. Otherwise in the same price range, the 8 Plus is another good alternative.

Reactions: JokerPower

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Thanks for reply. I have tried it in the store and it looks and feels ok to me. But that’s the problem, you can’t judge only after playing with it in the store. There are things that are visible only after some time of using the device.

I get what you're saying, but keep in mind, you may have up to 14 days to return it, depending on where you purchase it. In the end you need what's best for your usage. The XR is a great phone, no doubt, but do you need what has to offer, or would it increase your user experience? Oh yeah, and I forgot how much I like Face ID and gestures. I don't think I could ever go back to a home button again.

JokerPower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2017
As long as you are fine with the lower display resolution and PPI, haptic touch as opposed to 3D Touch, then I think it's great. Otherwise in the same price range, the 8 Plus is another good alternative.

To be honest, for me it was hard to distinguish between XR and XS Max display. Only black was distinct

I’ve never used 3D Touch (not useful for me)

8 Plus doesn’t make sense. Same design, same feelings..

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I just took advantage of Apple's no questions asked battery replacement on the 6S+ and its a perfectly fine phone that I plan to keep using for another 3 - 4 years. I have no plans on upgrading to iOS 13 and beyond as I do not know what a wounded Apple will do to rev up sales (and their own bonuses) next year.

JokerPower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2017
I just took advantage of Apple's no questions asked battery replacement on the 6S+ and its a perfectly fine phone that I plan to keep using for another 3 - 4 years. I have no plans on upgrading to iOS 13 and beyond as I do not know what a wounded Apple will do to rev up sales (and their own bonuses) next year.

Same here, changed the battery last year :)

In my understanding, XR battery life is a lot better than 6S Plus

Reactions: mtneer

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Hello

I’m thinking about upgrading from 6S Plus to XR. What do you think, worth the switch? Cons and pros?

Would be nice to hear from actual users of XR or people who were in my position and switched to XR from 6S Plus

Thanks

If you care about the camera and all day battery life it would be a jump imho. If you are content with those then I say skip it.

Also note that you will miss out on 3D Touch but you will gain True Tone.

But is it a HUGE difference? I say no phone has been a significant upgrade since the 3-4 iPhone generation. Or the 5-6 iPhone generation were great leaps. Since the 6, it’s been incremental changes. Phone technology from iOS to android has stabilized the last 3-4 yrs.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Just from reading on here, and other various reports on tech sites, the XR battery life is absolutely outstanding across-the-board. I would say that’s one of the most underrated features about that phone, is the substantial battery life, and if I were to purchase a Phone between the two you have listed, it would be the XR strictly just for that reason alone.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada

I’ll put it like this... the battery in the Xʀ is what makes me continue to use this phone. It’s truly mind blowing how much better it is than that of the Max.

Coming from an owner of a X, XS Max and the Xʀ I can assure you the display is great. I used the X from November of 2017 until September of 2018. After that I bought the Max and used it until October when the Xʀ came out. I personally have not switched phones since October 26th. I’ve had no desire to use my Max or X.

Then one thing people will try and talk about is the RAM. It is 3GB vs 4GB. However the extra GB of RAM in the XS and Max is only for help running the telephoto lens. The Xʀ doesn’t need the extra GB for that reason.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I’ll put it like this... the battery in the Xʀ is what makes me continue to use this phone. It’s truly mind blowing how much better it is than that of the Max.

Coming from an owner of a X, XS Max and the Xʀ I can assure you the display is great. I used the X from November of 2017 until September of 2018. After that I bought the Max and used it until October when the Xʀ came out. I personally have not switched phones since October 26th. I’ve had no desire to use my Max or X.

Then one thing people will try and talk about is the RAM. It is 3GB vs 4GB. However the extra GB of RAM in the XS and Max is only for help running the telephoto lens. The Xʀ doesn’t need the extra GB for that reason.

Can you elaborate where you learned that that phone dedicates a full gigabyte of RAM for the camera? My 8+ has two lenses and less RAM. I don’t see the relation between these.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
XR was a great upgrade from my 7 Plus, no doubt it's worth the upgrade over 6S Plus.

I briefly thought of getting a 256GB 8 Plus or X, but those second-hand values remained quite high late last year, almost equal. For that money I managed to get a 64GB XR which to me offers more value. The X design is going to become the norm this year (it's been out for some time, but the adaptation is really gaining momentum now after the second gen) which is why I think my old 7 Plus or a new 8 Plus won't retain their value much longer. X vs XR is all about screen size and battery life for me, in which the XR clearly wins.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Hello

Thanks

Just went from the 6s, which I had for almost three years, to an XR. It's a nice upgrade. Larger screen, sharp as a tack, FAST face ID, wireless charging, esim, does everything faster, smoother. Better sound. It's a bit heavier but easy to quickly get used to. My son has the X, with the "better" OLED screen, but unless they're side-by-side showing the same image, there's nothing to complain about the XR's LCD. (I really don't see the major point of such higher resolution on a 6" screen, as opposed to a 65" TV.) I highly recommend the upgrade to the XR (especially with the $200 trade-in currently being offered for your 6s). And with only $50 more for the 128GB version, not even offered is the Xs line...
[doublepost=1549125173][/doublepost]
The 6S plus is still a very capable phone ,Don’t waste your money

I agree that the 6s is still a very capable phone. But that does NOT mean that spending $549 on the XR (after the $200 trade-in for the 6s, which is probably double what the 6s is worth today) is a waste of money.
[doublepost=1549125444][/doublepost]
Can you elaborate where you learned that that phone dedicates a full gigabyte of RAM for the camera? My 8+ has two lenses and less RAM. I don’t see the relation between these.

Yeah I don't know where he got that. Look, more RAM is "usually always" better. But in this case it doesn't matter. Apple leads the world in the iPhone's RAM management, and you will not feel a single RAM-based blip on the XR, especially considering that the phone doesn't have to drive an OLED display.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada

Yes the relation is there. The extra GB of RAM in plus models and dual lens models has always been for the dual lens... it has never changed.

This goes all way back to iPhone 7. Just do a google search. The extra GB of RAM has always been for this reason.
[doublepost=1549334354][/doublepost]
Just went from the 6s, which I had for almost three years, to an XR. It's a nice upgrade. Larger screen, sharp as a tack, FAST face ID, wireless charging, esim, does everything faster, smoother. Better sound. It's a bit heavier but easy to quickly get used to. My son has the X, with the "better" OLED screen, but unless they're side-by-side showing the same image, there's nothing to complain about the XR's LCD. (I really don't see the major point of such higher resolution on a 6" screen, as opposed to a 65" TV.) I highly recommend the upgrade to the XR (especially with the $200 trade-in currently being offered for your 6s). And with only $50 more for the 128GB version, not even offered is the Xs line...
[doublepost=1549125173][/doublepost]

I agree that the 6s is still a very capable phone. But that does NOT mean that spending $549 on the XR (after the $200 trade-in for the 6s, which is probably double what the 6s is worth today) is a waste of money.
[doublepost=1549125444][/doublepost]

Yeah I don't know where he got that. Look, more RAM is "usually always" better. But in this case it doesn't matter. Apple leads the world in the iPhone's RAM management, and you will not feel a single RAM-based blip on the XR, especially considering that the phone doesn't have to drive an OLED display.

I got it from a VERY SIMPLE google search. It was very well documented when the iPhone 7 and Plus was released. Which was when Apple started using 2GB in the regular model and the 3GB in the Plus model. I didn’t pull it out of my a$s that’s for sure. Not something I would ever do.

Have you all had all iPhones and only iPhones? I mean this is COMMON knowledge.

I own an X, Xʀ and Max and the performance due to RAM is non existent. Why? The X has 3GB of RAM, but only 2GB is for system performance and the other GB is for the second lens to help with image processing!

WOW!!

Attachments

• 16A13097-F97B-437F-B5AF-A06209541001.jpeg
    16A13097-F97B-437F-B5AF-A06209541001.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 191

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Hello

Thanks

As a former Plus user and current XR owner, I don’t think it’s worth the $ to upgrade

First, the 6s Plus screen is higher resolution. It’s not superior per se, as the XR screen has full sRGB and DCI-P3 gamut whereas the 6s Plus only supports sRGB, and the XR also has True Tone as well as an edge to edge design. But the 6s Plus looks sharper because it’s 1080p, it displays more width (it shows a true 16:9 image and things like Netflix or videos look bigger, because of the wider display on the Plus screen, and slightly more crisp vs the XR)...you’re already staring at an overall similar quality display, which is crisper and better for videos...so why give that up?

And 3D Touch is still excellent. I miss peek and pop on links or peeping a text message or an email. I really do. Lots of XR owners will tell you they never used 3D Touch. Their loss; it was an incredibly useful technology that is fantastic still. I wish the X/XS supported the 3D Touch multi-app switcher. Best and faster way to move into the app switcher. Haptic touch is getting there and hopefully will one day match 3D Touch in function.

Second, the best feature of the XR is the battery. It’s awesome. It’s the best in an iPhone to date. I love this the most about the XR. However if you have a Plus model with a fresh battery, you have all day battery life. So, you already have excellent battery life.

Third, the camera on the 6s Plus is still excellent. No it doesn’t have smart hdr and the overall image processing is not as good as the XR. But what do we usually take pics of? Scenery. Architecture. People. Food. All of these are still capable on the 6s Plus. It still has 4K video and incredible slow mo. The Plus model still has the OIS which make a genuine difference in still images. Check out Apple’s marketing videos and pictures on the 6s to remind yourself how damn good that camera still is.

Lastly, performance. I own a 6s and have run speed tests, side by side with my XR for fun. The fact is both run iOS 12 almost identically. It’s pretty impressive given the A12 is three generations newer. The core tech of the A9 cores however is still in play in the high performance cores on the A12, and makes the A9 that much more impressive in hindsight.
Your usual iOS apps like phone and mail and messages are more or less identical. Games load 5-25 seconds slower on the A9. Perform identically for the most part, unless it’s Asphalt 9 or something specific. The general speed on the home page and smoothness of the animations is the same. Opening apps is the same, just as responsive. Typing is the same. I know the Plus models use the additional scaling but if your 6s Plus has the same performance as my 6s (as it should!) then you’re not really gaining much from day to day use going to the XR

So from that perspective just save your $!
I got my XR from work. So I use it. But practically speaking, if you have a 6s Plus and are wondering to hold on or not...I say hold.

Especially if your next phone will be via 2-year contract, because then you want the new device around the time it comes out, as you’ll have it for another 2 more years.

Last edited:
Reactions: snipr125

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
As a former Plus user and current XR owner, I don’t think it’s worth the $ to upgrade

First, the 6s Plus screen is higher resolution. It’s not superior per se, as the XR screen has full sRGB and DCI-P3 gamut whereas the 6s Plus only supports sRGB, and the XR also has True Tone as well as an edge to edge design. But the 6s Plus looks sharper because it’s 1080p, it displays more width (it shows a true 16:9 image and things like Netflix or videos look bigger, because of the wider display on the Plus screen, and slightly more crisp vs the XR)...you’re already staring at an overall similar quality display, which is crisper and better for videos...so why give that up?

And 3D Touch is still excellent. I miss peek and pop on links or peeping a text message or an email. I really do. Lots of XR owners will tell you they never used 3D Touch. Their loss; it was an incredibly useful technology that is fantastic still. I wish the X/XS supported the 3D Touch multi-app switcher. Best and faster way to move into the app switcher. Haptic touch is getting there and hopefully will one day match 3D Touch in function.

Second, the best feature of the XR is the battery. It’s awesome. It’s the best in an iPhone to date. I love this the most about the XR. However if you have a Plus model with a fresh battery, you have all day battery life. So, you already have excellent battery life.

Third, the camera on the 6s Plus is still excellent. No it doesn’t have smart hdr and the overall image processing is not as good as the XR. But what do we usually take pics of? Scenery. Architecture. People. Food. All of these are still capable on the 6s Plus. It still has 4K video and incredible slow mo. The Plus model still has the OIS which make a genuine difference in still images. Check out Apple’s marketing videos and pictures on the 6s to remind yourself how damn good that camera still is.

Lastly, performance. I own a 6s and have run speed tests, side by side with my XR for fun. The fact is both run iOS 12 almost identically. It’s pretty impressive given the A12 is three generations newer. The core tech of the A9 cores however is still in play in the high performance cores on the A12, and makes the A9 that much more impressive in hindsight.
Your usual iOS apps like phone and mail and messages are more or less identical. Games load 5-25 seconds slower on the A9. Perform identically for the most part, unless it’s Asphalt 9 or something specific. The general speed on the home page and smoothness of the animations is the same. Opening apps is the same, just as responsive. Typing is the same. I know the Plus models use the additional scaling but if your 6s Plus has the same performance as my 6s (as it should!) then you’re not really gaining much from day to day use going to the XR

So from that perspective just save your $!
I got my XR from work. So I use it. But practically speaking, if you have a 6s Plus and are wondering to hold on or not...I say hold.

Especially if your next phone will be via 2-year contract, because then you want the new device around the time it comes out, as you’ll have it for another 2 more years.

Good point!

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
I had a 7 Plus and switched to a XR. It was a big upgrade - better speakers, bigger screen, battery is miles ahead, etc.

But if you’re like nordique above and not a “power user” by any strech of the imagination - in that it doesn’t matter if it takes twice as long to open stuff, you don’t use your phone at all during the day, and 4 years of camera advancements don’t matter - maybe you won’t notice.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Yes the relation is there. The extra GB of RAM in plus models and dual lens models has always been for the dual lens... it has never changed.

This goes all way back to iPhone 7. Just do a google search. The extra GB of RAM has always been for this reason.
[doublepost=1549334354][/doublepost]

I got it from a VERY SIMPLE google search. It was very well documented when the iPhone 7 and Plus was released. Which was when Apple started using 2GB in the regular model and the 3GB in the Plus model. I didn’t pull it out of my a$s that’s for sure. Not something I would ever do.

Have you all had all iPhones and only iPhones? I mean this is COMMON knowledge.

I own an X, Xʀ and Max and the performance due to RAM is non existent. Why? The X has 3GB of RAM, but only 2GB is for system performance and the other GB is for the second lens to help with image processing!

WOW!!

The truth is not always in self made screenshots of unknown origin. Backing up your own claims works different than going into a forum and telling people a google search will help them understand you better.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
The truth is not always in self made screenshots of unknown origin. Backing up your own claims works different than going into a forum and telling people a google search will help them understand you better.

It’s the truth. It’s really not a huge deal like you’re making it, but do a simple google search and it will show you. It has went all the way back to the iPhone 7 Plus. Since the inception of the dual camera.
[doublepost=1549365470][/doublepost]Here you go again. You know how to use google. Google it. It’s not my “own claim”. It’s ALL OVER THE INTERNET. It was brought up in MacRumors when the iPhone 7 and 7Plus was first released.

I can keep going if need be. The Extra GB of RAM in the XS, X, XS Max, 8 Plus and 7 Plus is USED to process the dual camera system. Phones with a single lens does not need it AT THIS TIME.

Also used for more pixels in the Plus models and X, ETC.
[doublepost=1549365611][/doublepost]And more...
[doublepost=1549366113][/doublepost]Macrumors own page...

I’m just saying this is COMMON KNOWLEDGE and HAS BEEN since the INCEPTION OF the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.

Attachments

• CD5BC6EF-0D6B-468F-BD4D-F1CB56A5C6E4.png
    CD5BC6EF-0D6B-468F-BD4D-F1CB56A5C6E4.png
    307.4 KB · Views: 237
  • A128AF42-ECBE-484A-B430-807114BDA109.png
    A128AF42-ECBE-484A-B430-807114BDA109.png
    820.2 KB · Views: 219
  • B38EC0FE-8437-4784-998E-0D75E1E511DD.png
    B38EC0FE-8437-4784-998E-0D75E1E511DD.png
    864.8 KB · Views: 219
  • A4BAD6DC-2352-4B28-8202-BEF157C50EB9.png
    A4BAD6DC-2352-4B28-8202-BEF157C50EB9.png
    425.8 KB · Views: 224
Last edited by a moderator:

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Hello

Thanks
It all depends how satisfied you are with your current 6S.

I was in the same boat. With iOS11, I was ready to get the XR as although my 6S performs okay, under iOS11, I could feel the hiccups and it annoyed me. Well, lo and behold comes iOS12, and my 6S feels like a new phone! Since I'm quite happy with my 6S performance again (plus the free battery replacement from Apple), I'm skipping the XR.

If you are unhappy with your 6S performance, the XR is definitely a major upgrade. Battery life is a major improvement. The XR's camera simply blows the 6S'. Portrait mode is fun. The swipe gestures can actually feel more natural. The only thing you'll miss is 3D touch, but that is if you actually use it on your 6S. The fact Apple is shying away from 3D touch means not many people actually utilize it.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
It’s the truth. It’s really not a huge deal like you’re making it, but do a simple google search and it will show you. It has went all the way back to the iPhone 7 Plus. Since the inception of the dual camera.
[doublepost=1549365470][/doublepost]Here you go again. You know how to use google. Google it. It’s not my “own claim”. It’s ALL OVER THE INTERNET. It was brought up in MacRumors when the iPhone 7 and 7Plus was first released.

I can keep going if need be. The Extra GB of RAM in the XS, X, XS Max, 8 Plus and 7 Plus is USED to process the dual camera system. Phones with a single lens does not need it AT THIS TIME.

Also used for more pixels in the Plus models and X, ETC.
[doublepost=1549365611][/doublepost]And more...
[doublepost=1549366113][/doublepost]Macrumors own page...

I’m just saying this is COMMON KNOWLEDGE and HAS BEEN since the INCEPTION OF the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.

Thank you for backing up your claims.
I was trying to understand where the assumption that the extra ram is for the camera system came from and what the technical reason is to have more ram when adding that second lens. Because previously phones had two cameras too, just not pointing in the same direction.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Thank you for backing up your claims.
I was trying to understand where the assumption that the extra ram is for the camera system came from and what the technical reason is to have more ram when adding that second lens. Because previously phones had two cameras too, just not pointing in the same direction.

The extra 1GB of ram does make a difference. Your original intuition was indeed correct.

That extra 1GB of ram is not excommunicated from the device and solely active when using the second camera lens lol...how on earth that became "common knowledge" is beyond me. It should be considered common "erroneous" knowledge. It is true that the 1GB of ram is there for image processing, but are you taking photos 24/7 with a telephoto lens?

No, you are not. That 1GB of ram does not magically become deactivated unless you use the camera. It is still there for general tasks and functions. So yes, the extra 1GB of ram in the 7+, 8+, X, XR, XS/Max does make a difference. For iOS right now, it is not a noticeable difference. Maybe it will be in the future, but right now no one is multitasking with that many apps on their mobile devices. Usually 3-4 max is what people use in normal work flow. iOS also manages apps differently

I don't have a Plus model iPhone anymore, but i do have a X and XR and I can tell you from loading apps and switching them, the RAM management is identical - despite one having a single lens, and the other having dual lenses. They refresh apps the same.

The extra ram certainly helps with image processing, and is probably the reason Apple has an extra GB sure, but it doesn't magically disappear.

Here's a simple video showing the X vs the 8; same processors and same type of ram but different quantity. I have received near-identical results between an iPhone 7 and iPhone X.

There was a basic test done by 9to5 mac that showed safari tabs, and it only looked at one singular aspect (safari tabs) whereas this shows the general management

Anyways....Clearly, the extra GB of ram still functions as an extra GB of ram when the phone is not processing images.

These videos are hopefully more indicative of proof than selectively chosen clippings from news outings who report things as fact and confuse the people who read them, as these are the authors who probably don't know what the difference is between a byte and a bit

[doublepost=1549507077][/doublepost]

This is incorrect. Even if the extra GB of ram is required for image processing with dual lenses, it does not magically shut off when you are not processing an image.

The RAM is soldered right on the SoC. It is there for every function of the phone.

I know what you are talking about re: "it is everywhere on the internet since the iPhone 7 Plus days"....none of these sites that reported it back in 2016 seemed to grasp that. Probably because they don't know what a SoC is lol. It was a classic case of "monkey see, monkey do" reporting, Apple said this is what the extra GB of ram is used for, and people took it and ran with it. Sure that is why they added the extra GB, but it doesn't mean it turns off and stops working. Yet, many people fell for it and now pass it off as fact.

The thing is, it doesn't matter because iOS 12 will perform 99.9% identically on 2GB iPhones as it will on 4GB iPhones. iOS on iPhones first of all does not have true multitasking function, and second of all no one needs 10 apps running in the background. If you do need that, you're using the wrong device for your work flow.

Last edited:
Reactions: ericwn

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
To be honest, for me it was hard to distinguish between XR and XS Max display. Only black was distinct

I agree. Not enough of a difference to justify the price.

My wife upgraded from a 6s+ to a XS Max. When she did, I switched to her old phone to see how I would like the larger size. Used it for a month or so and really liked it. The XR fits my hand a little better than the XS Max. Apple gave me $200 trade in for my 6s which is about what I could get on eBay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.