Switch from AT&T to Sprint

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by micawoli, Aug 16, 2012.

1. micawoli macrumors member

So I figured out today that my AT&T contract has ended so I am free to switch for the new iPhone that is coming out. I am grandfathered in to a 3G data plan on ATT, but since we can safely assume that the new iPhone will be LTE/4G, and ATT will force me out of my unlimited plan when I upgrade, I was thinking about moving to Sprint so that I can take advantage of the "truly unlimited" data on 4G.

So my questions are:

1. Since my contract has ended, is it as simple as ordering a new phone online and choosing sprint (probably going to use apple's website) and still be able to keep my number with unlimited 4G data?

2. My girlfriend and I are on the same plan together so how would that work because she also has to get a new phone from sprint.

3. And finally, random question, do you guys and gals think that the new iPhone will be able to talk and surf at the same time on Sprint's network? I have read that some of the new EVO LTE phones on sprints network are now able to do this.

Any help would be great!!! I know this would be the only place where I could get a good, solid answer!

2. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

I don't believe AT&T forces you to leave unlimited data if you upgrade.

That's Verizon.

3. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Yea but they cap your speed when you reach 2gb anyway basically forcing you out of it..

As for the OP, Sprint is behind in 4g deployment compared to verizon and att, so you may not get LTE for a while.

4. AFDoc macrumors 68030

As apposed to calling and asking sprint directly? Yeah, a random forum about apple rumors is NEVER the place to go to get accurate answers to carrier related questions.

5. thecurryman macrumors 6502

Your right that they "throttle" your speed but not at 2gb but at 3gb, and you can still use your data for as long as you want even after its throttled, its just a lot slower

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Never assume. I use AT&T's HSPA, high speed network on a line that had an unlimited 3G plan, AT&T does not charge more, nor did they "force me out". I still get the good price, it's still unlimited and it's the fastest connection. Much faster than 3G was.

The other advantage is I've never been throttled, which simply proves you can't believe all you read. I wouldn't put it past the AT&T haters to "fib" claiming they get throttled. Not one person at my work is throttled and all our company phones are on AT&T.

The number one rule of carrier selection, is to choose the one that has the best coverage in your area. That's more important than choosing a carrier based on the phone you want.

That's why there are so many AT&T haters.

Instead of learning how a cell phone network functions, and discovering that each carrier has strong and weak areas, depending on location.

People wanted an iPhone, didn't bother to see if AT&T had good coverage in their area, then got upset when they had dropped calls or other issues.

Each of the carriers is different. If you pick the one with the strongest coverage in your area, you'll be much better off.

Finally, the fastest, most accurate way to have your questions answered immediately is to call the carrier directly.

7. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

its so slow that its unusable. slower then dial up.

8. Demonface macrumors 6502a

Making a call and using data would not work being use all at once on sprint.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why would someone want to downgrade to turtle Sprint CDMA 3G from 8mbps HSPA+ speeds?
    Then complain about throttling when on Sprint you will feel like you're throttled 24/7 with 56K speeds but unlimited turtle data:D

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Almost every post in reply is moot unless we know where the OP lives. I.e., if he lives in metro KC, which has excellent Sprint 4G coverage, then why not switch? On the other hand, if he lives in Powdunk Redneckville, where there's no Sprint 4G, AT&T is probably the better choice.

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but I doubt he'd even be posting this if he didn't already know he had solid Sprint 4G.

11. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

With Sprint, that doesn't matter. I have great Sprint reception here but their data speeds never reached 1mbps. With AT&T I can pull 3-4 during the day.

OP: YOU WILL BE EXTREMELY SORRY ONCE YOUR ON SPRINT. AT&T has a much, much better network. Besides, with Sprint, 98% of the contract you'll be on 3G when everyone else will be enjoying LTE.

12. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

I'm sure AT&T will have some trick up their sleeve to force you to give up unlimited data in order to obtain an LTE account. Meanwhile Sprint's service is barely 3G. Good luck either way.

13. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

I would take 3GB of LTE (with HSPA+ to fallback on) over Sprint's slow network. It's unlimited because of how horrible the speeds are.

14. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Exactly!

15. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

It's 3GB for a 3G device and 5GB for a 4G device, before you are throttled, I believe.

Sprint's speeds are really bad, at least in my area.

If you use more than 5GB a month, just get the 30$ for 3GB data plan and pay an extra 10$ for each GB.

16. micawoli thread starter macrumors member

Because calling a sprint rep would give me a more non-biased answer compared to asking people here? I think I'll take my chances of getting something closer to the truth on here.

This is what I'm afraid of. I want to keep my unlimited and just have it be unlimited LTE instead of 3G, if that is possible at all.

I live in Denver. I have a friend that has 4G on sprint, but he says he has to be in a certain single spot in our lab to pick up 4G. Otherwise, he says it's hit or miss. But when he does have 4G it is amazing compared to what I have on 3G ATT. He can tether his phone to this tablet and watch ESPN on HD live streaming with no bad pixeling (not sure if that is a word).

17. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

Don't do it. I switched to Sprint in December because they would give me my own contract with a minimal deposit due to my low credit history, being only 20 years old. I will most definitely be switching to either AT&T or Verizon. You get unlimited data on Sprint, yes, but it's LITERALLY dial up speeds. I've actually enjoyed my 4S on Sprint much less than the 4 I used to have on AT&T. That's all.

18. Ay_Zimmy macrumors 6502

Sprints data network doesn't hold a candle to AT&T or Verizon's. It would be silly to switch. In the beginning, 3G was a luxury, so people could have unlimited data plans.. Now that everyone has 3G they just cant keep giving unlimited data plans out anymore.. Sprint is doing the unlimited so they can earn customers and eventually it will be gone..

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, I'd avoid sprint, slow inferior network and my wife had problems with customer support with them.

20. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

It all depends in the area. I had Verizon then switched to sprint. I find I have better coverage with sprint and basically the same 3G speeds as Verizon. Sprint may be worse in most places but you have to do research for where you live...

21. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Wrong. You can upgrade, you just pay full MSRP for the phone. Verizon has a way better alternative to "throttling", and also doesn't throttle data if you are a 4G/LTE phone user.

AT&T's HSPDA+ > Verizon's 3G, but other than pure download speeds, Verizon takes the cake, at least for me. And you haven't been throttled because you probably use nearly no data, thus an unlimited plan is useless to you.

I agree with the bolded quote above!

But I think third-party research and asking friends and family about their service experience trumps "asking the carrier". They're bound to load you with bull about why you should choose their network. I wouldn't even trust them for factual information regarding their plans, you'll often get twelve different stories from twelve different people. Get it online so it's in writing.

22. pblakk macrumors member

Absolutely. And coverage maps are nothing but a half baked general guideline to service area. I'm on Verizon, and on a trouble ticket, despite having OK to even strong carrier reception, at or near my home, their field technician came out for testing, and after 2 followups over the phone they confirmed that I had "marginal coverage" and that I could cancel my contract without paying the termination fee. They made what I thought may have been a bogus claim about some commercial grade piece of network equipment being down...and that they replaced it, that did nothing of course. This all started because I called to complain about terrible call quality and dropped calls at my house and our neighborhood.

Point being, don't trust a coverage map. You need to live with and use a phone at a specific location or area for at least a couple weeks before making a contract commitment. Just citing my real world experience. Verizon's coverage map of course shows excellent and completely dark red 3G coverage area around my entire neighborhood and probably a few miles of general coverage radius. Little would you know. Of course this can be due to interference but THEY claimed marginal coverage, meaning this overrides their coverage map.

23. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It's rather curious that you choose to _assume_ so much, when you couldn't possibly have a clue how I use my smartphones.

There's no point trying to have an intelligent conversation, when one party is bent on guessing, speculating, and assuming.

24. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Excellent post!

You've brought up a very good point.

Coverage maps for all carriers are nothing more than another marketing piece.

They are very optimistic and far from reliable.

25. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Simple. AT&T throttles 3G data after 3Gb. Period. It's a bit crazy to run around forums claiming you are using over 3Gb of data and aren't being throttled, when everyone else is being throttled at that limit, and AT&T has issued documentation stating that stance on the issue. Saying "other co-workers and myself aren't being throttled" provides no credence to your argument. I'm more apt to believe the published policies of a wireless carrier and other forum community members who have also experienced this first hand, over just another forum poster.

AT&T know your phones exact data usage to a T from hour to hour. So if you're not being throttled, then you aren't using over 3Gb.

Thus, you would be just as fine with a 3Gb plan for $30, though that would be silly because for the same price you can at least get slower data over 3Gb with the unlimited plan for the same price.