Switch from AT&T to Sprint

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I did not read through all of the thread, but there is a lot of mis-information. You can upgrade with AT&T and still keep your unlimited. Also, LTE is throttled at 5gb.

micawoli

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2010
i did not read through all of the thread, but there is a lot of mis-information. You can upgrade with at&t and still keep your unlimited. Also, lte is throttled at 5gb.
thank the lord someone finally answered the question definitively!!!:d

Zaft

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I've heard different stories. If you are a Sprint user (with 4G or 3G), please post some speed results here. That would be very helpful.

----------

Well, not always. Some young people use allowance and such to buy stuff.
Here is three speed tests I did in a row a couple minuets ago ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345423645.017617.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345423654.506569.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345423801.611579.jpg

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Wrong. You can upgrade, you just pay full MSRP for the phone. Verizon has a way better alternative to "throttling", and also doesn't throttle data if you are a 4G/LTE phone user.

And that would be your opinion and why you probably are on Verizon. I'd rather be throttled at 3GB than told I don't get to have an unlimited plan unless I want to pay for my phone in full (with AT&T and Verizon you don't get a discount for not being on a contract so you aren't going to pay cheaper just cause you didn't take advantage of a subsidized phone so if you are going with them you are paying more if you just pay for your phone outright. The only reason to pay for a phone outright is if you don't know if you want to stay with them and don't want to be tied down. Cause you are paying more with them to use them without contract and to pay for your phone in full. I'm a cheapskate, I'll just take getting throttled if I go over. Plus I hardly if ever go over so it wouldn't affect me anyways. I probably don't need unlimited, I just like the idea that I at least won't get charged more if I accidentally go over).

In the end, people need to stop talking about how evil these carriers are (or rather how one is better than the other, cause as I've displayed here what one person prefers is totally not what some one else prefers), it is what it is, and figure out which one does things best for them. Sure, for the guy I responded to he'd rather be told to pay more but get unlimited without restricted speeds. But for me I'd rather pay less but get restricted speeds if i use too much (and I'd rather get restricted speeds than get charged extra for going over so I stay with unlimited rather than going to a limited plan). And really, for me I'd be better off staying with AT&T and paying extra if I went over since I hardly (if ever) go over the 3GB limit anyways than going to Verizon and paying extra just in case I went over I could still have the same speed data.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
And that would be your opinion and why you probably are on Verizon. I'd rather be throttled at 3GB than told I don't get to have an unlimited plan unless I want to pay for my phone in full (with AT&T and Verizon you don't get a discount for not being on a contract so you aren't going to pay cheaper just cause you didn't take advantage of a subsidized phone so if you are going with them you are paying more if you just pay for your phone outright. The only reason to pay for a phone outright is if you don't know if you want to stay with them and don't want to be tied down. Cause you are paying more with them to use them without contract and to pay for your phone in full. I'm a cheapskate, I'll just take getting throttled if I go over. Plus I hardly if ever go over so it wouldn't affect me anyways. I probably don't need unlimited, I just like the idea that I at least won't get charged more if I accidentally go over).

In the end, people need to stop talking about how evil these carriers are, it is what it is, and figure out which one does things best for them. Sure, for the guy I responded to he'd rather be told to pay more but get unlimited without restricted speeds. But for me I'd rather pay less but get restricted speeds if i use too much (and I'd rather get restricted speeds than get charged extra for going over so I stay with unlimited rather than going to a limited plan). And really, for me I'd be better off staying with AT&T and paying extra if I went over since I hardly (if ever) go over the 3GB limit anyways than going to Verizon and paying extra just in case I went over I could still have the same speed data.
Different strokes for different fokes. I just couldn't bear the idea of waiting 10 minutes for my song to load because I used a little too much data one month.

Here is three speed tests I did in a row a couple minuets agoView attachment 353713View attachment 353714View attachment 353715
That's really good speed for CDMA 3G if you ask me. That's like 8mbps.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I find that interesting. At work, and between my family who is on AT&T at present, these people have maintained their unlimited data plans. I've been with them when the texts have come through, "You have reached 3072 megabytes of data, you data is now being throttled", ect. Hell, they even showed me because they were confused at first.

And I have a friend who absolutely was not using anywhere close to that amount that got that text. She had to call up AT&T and argue with them but finally got it settled. But I saw her phone and what it used, she hadn't even used that amount the entire time she had the phone (and she's kind of a technophobe so she doesn't use the phone at all to its fullest).

Don't go thinking AT&T really is that accurate. They're not. THey make mistakes all the time.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
And I have a friend who absolutely was not using anywhere close to that amount that got that text. She had to call up AT&T and argue with them but finally got it settled. But I saw her phone and what it used, she hadn't even used that amount the entire time she had the phone (and she's kind of a technophobe so she doesn't use the phone at all to its fullest).

Don't go thinking AT&T really is that accurate. They're not. THey make mistakes all the time.
Seeing as she is a technophobe, how do you know what her usage is? Hell, she probably doesn't. I have friends that stream pandora all the time: "Wait, pandora uses data?!"

I will agree that AT&T isn't all that bright, however I independently tested my data usage using their system and two other third party tracking solutions and they all matched. They would come under some SERIOUS fire if they were claiming you used more data then you actually do.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Seeing as she is a technophobe, how do you know what her usage is? Hell, she probably doesn't. I have friends that stream pandora all the time: "Wait, pandora uses data?!"

I will agree that AT&T isn't all that bright, however I independently tested my data usage using their system and two other third party tracking solutions and they all matched. They would come under some SERIOUS fire if they were claiming you used more data then you actually do.
Once again, I saw her iphone like I said in the post (try reading my post before responding). I looked in settings for her to see what her iphone actually said (expecting to tell her that yeah, she had used that much because like you were skeptical, I wondered if she just didn't realize it). Unless the iphone lies about what it uses, she didn't even use that amount in a year.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Why would someone want to downgrade to turtle Sprint CDMA 3G from 8mbps HSPA+ speeds?
Then complain about throttling when on Sprint you will feel like you're throttled 24/7 with 56K speeds but unlimited turtle data:D
To the OP: This quote above is important. Read this if you haven't already. Sprint LTE roll out is way behind. So if you don't have it in your area you will be on a much slower data connection than AT&T. Even if you didn't have AT&T LTE at least you would fall back on HSPA+ which is much faster than Sprint.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Why would someone want to downgrade to turtle Sprint CDMA 3G from 8mbps HSPA+ speeds?
Then complain about throttling when on Sprint you will feel like you're throttled 24/7 with 56K speeds but unlimited turtle data:D
I switched to Sprint, but after dealing with the crappy ATT customer service. I had only known that I would not ever get over .5 download, I would have stayed with ATT. Sprint's network renders a phone useless.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
Once again, I saw her iphone like I said in the post (try reading my post before responding). I looked in settings for her to see what her iphone actually said (expecting to tell her that yeah, she had used that much because like you were skeptical, I wondered if she just didn't realize it). Unless the iphone lies about what it uses, she didn't even use that amount in a year.
Ok, I guess I see my friends phones too. But that doesn't mean they never watched YouTube Videos or streamed pandora. And those stats arent retained if you wipe the phone or it's replaced under warranty

----------

To the OP: This quote above is important. Read this if you haven't already. Sprint LTE roll out is way behind. So if you don't have it in your area you will be on a much slower data connection than AT&T. Even if you didn't have AT&T LTE at least you would fall back on HSPA+ which is much faster than Sprint.
1) sprint and tmobile are behind AT&T in LTE rollout, but At&t is way behind Verizon, so it's all relative
2) sprint seems to usually be slow, but the speed test above shows sprint clearing 1Megabytes/s. AT&T's theoretical max for hspda+ is 2.75Megabytes/s so in comparison that's quite good for sprint

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I find Verizon to be much better then sprint in my area as far as 3G and I wish I was on AT&T.

Zaft

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
it all depend where you live... Sprint speeds are horrible almost everywhere.
Thats exactly right, and for me sprint has been GASP :eek: better then verizon for where i live. The time that i do go out of state its been fine.

The only time i had an issue was when i went to a wooded place in PA where i had service but no data.

I dont see the point in caring for someones speed in a different state when i wont be there...

YoungHov718

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2012
i also have sprint i switched from att i live in Ny sprint is not that bad in areas that arent crowded. my speeds are consistant 1mb espically when in down in the city working. sprints network is overcrowded tho due to the iphone on there network, once lte is up and there network vision project is complete people will see better 3g speeds. my reason for leavinng att was due to dropped calls on sprint i never dropped a call in my 6 months with them.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Ok, I guess I see my friends phones too. But that doesn't mean they never watched YouTube Videos or streamed pandora. And those stats arent retained if you wipe the phone or it's replaced under warranty
Wow, you are just dead set on insisting there is no way you could be wrong and trying to find ways to avoid admitting you could be wrong. You do realize that when you check usage on your phone at the very bottom it will say when the stats were last reset? And i assure you i looked at that to figure out her usage. As I said previously unless the iPhone is inaccurate in its reporting, she was not using even close to the limit like AT&T was claiming. Why is it so hard for you to believe AT&T might actually make mistakes or occasionally have some snafu that reports statistics to them wrong. Obviously something was reperting something wrong. But I assure you I know what I saw and I know how to read the iPhone's usage stats.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
Wow, you are just dead set on insisting there is no way you could be wrong and trying to find ways to avoid admitting you could be wrong. You do realize that when you check usage on your phone at the very bottom it will say when the stats were last reset? And i assure you i looked at that to figure out her usage. As I said previously unless the iPhone is inaccurate in its reporting, she was not using even close to the limit like AT&T was claiming. Why is it so hard for you to believe AT&T might actually make mistakes or occasionally have some snafu that reports statistics to them wrong. Obviously something was reperting something wrong. But I assure you I know what I saw and I know how to read the iPhone's usage stats.
Funny, I haven't seen or heard of a variance with my iPhone's self-reported data and my bill. And that's between carriers other than AT&T too.

Ok, sorry about your friend's phone and it's isolated ability to mysteriously consume data without actually using it. Maybe she should look into having that fixed.

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
Thats exactly right, and for me sprint has been GASP :eek: better then verizon for where i live. The time that i do go out of state its been fine.

The only time i had an issue was when i went to a wooded place in PA where i had service but no data.

I dont see the point in caring for someones speed in a different state when i wont be there...
I had the same speeds you have till January-February 2012 then all went down the drain 50k-150k down.. I had to switch to at&t. =/

surma884

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
To OP,

Find someone who has Sprint in your area. Ask them how fast it is.

Too many Sprint haters on this forum. I've heard good and bad things about Sprint. In my area I haven't heard any bad things so it should be good for me. Also my city is in the Sprint's second round market for LTE. So I'll get LTE by the end of 2012 or 1Q 2013.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
AT&T:

3G Service: 3Gb
LTE Service: 5Gb

Verizon:

3G Phone: Optimize based on network capacity
LTE Phone: No throttling.
For now.
Either carrier can change their stance at any time;)
AT&T could drop the LTE unlimited for iphone users down to 3GB or verizon to start proposing a soft cap and throttling etc....
I wouldnt be surprised, they both trying to push to provide as less as possible and charge as more as they can.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
For now.
Either carrier can change their stance at any time;)
AT&T could drop the LTE unlimited for iphone users down to 3GB or verizon to start proposing a soft cap and throttling etc....
I wouldnt be surprised, they both trying to push to provide as less as possible and charge as more as they can.
As I have been slammed for many times on these forums, "It's not about what they could do, but what they are doing.

I, for one, agree with you. I'm sure that with the iPhone having LTE, it will change their policies.