Switch from matte to glossy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tuncer, Mar 19, 2008.

1. tuncer macrumors member

Hi folks,

I've just ordered my 5th or 6th 17 inch Powerbook/MacBook Pro. I've always picked the matte versions but this time I decided, what the hell, I'll order a glossy. I don't want any opinions on what's better or not but for those who have switched from matte to glossy, what has your experience been? Happy you made the switch or would you switch back to matte the next time around? :confused:

2. dpk macrumors newbie

I switched from a matte LCD for a desktop (non-mac) to a glossy LCD for a notebook (also non-mac) and never looked back. Eventually picked up a glossy LCD for the Windows desktop and am now enjoying a glossy MBP as well.

I don't work anywhere where I have tons of light shining directly behind me.

3. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

Used to have a Matte windows laptop for 5 years. Got myself a MB and a 15.4 Glossy penryn MBP. I like 'em both more than any matte stuff out there.

4. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

I also just ordered a MBP today and after ordering wondered if I should have gone with the glossy instead. Sadly the order was already in process so I could not switch. I wonder if I should send it back for a exchange if it is better.

5. StevieMooey macrumors member

I switched from a matte CD Yonah 2.0 Ghz MBP to my new glossy 2.6 Penryn MBP.

I was nervous, because I spend up to 14 hours a day in front of my screen, and the reports of eye strain and excessive glare on the glossy seemed to make my choice a little reckless.

HOWEVER!

What an absolute joy this screen is! It is a truly, truly beautiful screen, and my matte MBP looked limp, cheap, and lifeless when they were side by side as I migrated my files.

The screen is cool and easy on the eyes. Reflections are certainly present under certain circumstances: how much these will bother you, and how easily you can avoid them (by adjusting position or moving location) is an entirely personal matter. I have noticed that simply raising the brightness has overpowered any reflections I have encountered thus far. My MBP is primarily a desktop replacement used indoors, and I have no reflection or glare issues at home.

So far, the real value for me is the sheer luxury look and feel of the glossy screen. Each time I turn on my MBP, I am wowed: the experience is more satisfying than I ever had with my CD matte.

Hope these comments help :)

-Mooey

PS

I got over 5 hours battery life today! :D AND it runs soooo cool. My CD MBP regularly topped 80 degrees C :s and I rarely got more than 2.5 hours battery life.

6. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

Our friend Stevie here said it better than anyone could. There are billions of Glossy vs. Matte threads and posts and people killing and abusing each other for their choice. It's ALL about how you feel when you compare them side by side. In fact my gf cribs about her MB being "less glossy" than my MBP. So you see.. :D

7. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

I found this picture on flickr that shows the reflection if it helps any. The photographer says it was taken in the late afternoon.

Attached Files:

8. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

haaaay!

another thread of MATTE vs GLOSSY is shaping here.

anyway, if i have to convince myself every other day that my "GLOSSY screen is more beautiful and better..
    then i should have BOUGHT a MATTE:D

9. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

:D LMAO.. I knew it.. I knew it.. OMG !!
    I was just waiting for Mark to comment on this thread. His Signature says it all ;). He is a "HUGE"(like SJ says) Matte proponent.
    Peace !

10. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

FYI: i'm the 2008 VP for external affairs of the MATTE club!
    SJ is the President.. for now:D:D:D

11. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

Mark, I got news for you - SJ(Mr. President) is all gaaa-gaaa for Glossy !! Your job is in risk 'coz Jobs ain't saying -"It's a MATTEr of choice" .. LOL..
    The Man, the Machine and the Reflection of reality, truth and existence. The Mantra of Glossssssss... :D
    I'm Loving it !!
    Peace !

Edit: My Motive here was to suggest that I am loving the Glossy Screen(s) compared to the matte ones.

Attached Files:

12. tuncer thread starter macrumors member

Like I said, I wasn't looking for any "matte is better" or "glossy is better" discussions. I've read all those. Was interested in hearing from people who have "switched" from matte to glossy.

I'm in a low light environment so I don't think reflections will be an issue for me.

THanks for the feedback that's come in so far.

Tuncer

13. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I switched from a matte desktop (non mac) to a macbook. And I'm loving the gloss. I've owned a wintel laptop with a glossy screen before and hated it because of the reflection, but I swear Apple must use some kind of different coating because I hardly notice it at all and it looks way better than matte.

14. Shabbis macrumors regular

I just purchased a 15.4" MBP 2.5GHz glossy to replace my old 12" PB G4 867MHz matte. I had a hard time deciding between the glossy and matte, but after thinking about what I'll be using the MBP for, I went with glossy. I think it's best for movies, viewing photos and playing games. I find the glossy not as "glossy" as the MBs and other PC laptops.

15. wolfattack macrumors member

holy crap! I just got my glossy hi-res 17 inch macbook pro in about 30 minutes ago, and damn, its really pretty!!!!

16. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

Just some food for thought - You may only want to consider testimony from people who went from an LED matte to LED glossy.

17. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Haha, I love the glossy vs. matte banter.

Light joking helps keep this forum fun when everyone gets on kick about complaining that their temps are 5 degrees hotter than the other guy's.

I got a matte and I'm happy with it, but I use my MBP in many situations where glare would just kill the functionality of my work flow.

However, my fiancée's iMac is a glossy and it's great. Wonderful for watching movies and it's nice to still have a glossy in the house.

Next thing we'll be getting her is a MacBook, so that'll be glossy too, leaving me the only one with a matte! Guess I need to get that Mac Pro + ACD soon, then!

18. DallasGooner macrumors newbie

I had 4 or 5 PowerBooks/MBPs all matte but just made the switch to glossy and have been very happy with it. Of course there is glare when its off and your looking to see if there is glare but in using it I have not found it to be a problem. Several times I have sat with my back to a window and did not notice any glare. There as a been a few times that I did see a little but a minor adjustment eliminated the glare. I have been very happy with it. I could go into why they matte v glossy debate is dumb but I won't. I doubt many of those saying how bad glossy is have used them as a production laptop, they are just looking at it for glare in the Apple store and see it so they don't use it.

19. tuncer thread starter macrumors member

Hey all,

Got my Glossy MPB 17 inch. After using matte for years and years, i can safely say that the Glossy is awesome. I have zero concerns now.

If you're contemplating switching, go for it!

Tuncer

20. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

As a Java Developer and a Graphic Designer, I have never had any issues with my work using a Glossy screen.

21. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

a guy i work with has a SR glossy MBP. Frankly, he wishes he went with Matte.

22. lauph macrumors regular

That MBP in the picture is definitely not on full brightness...
    Its like half or something.

23. dnenciu macrumors member

Had a matte 17" and had a problem with the screen (got scratched) and sent it to pixelbright and they replaced the coating with a glossy one. The glossy coating is just a tiny bit more punchy but not a big difference. I like the colors don't get me wrong. But...
    On the other hand the dust on it drives me crazy I can't go 5min without cleaning it. The punchy colors suck for photoshop. The glare when I am at work with lights behind me is bad and don't tell me just change position because the viewing angle (vertical) is very narrow so there is no way to adjusted to have good image and no reflections.
    The colors on it are great but not a big diff with the matte.
    So I realized glossy is not for me. I ordered the 17" HR matte led and will sell the glossy one. I'm sure it will sell better than the matte as a lot of people like glossy.

24. Smeh macrumors newbie

Ive got a Glossy 15.4'' inch MBP and it's beautiful...the only problem is that the glossy-ness allows for the dust to be more visable. What should i use to clean it? Rubbing alcohol with paper towel or something else?

25. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

After switching from matte to glossy I havent looked back. IMO glossy looks sooo much nicer! As far as reflections people usually always find something to cry about. I work next to a window and have NO problems with glossy. Thats why when I ordered my new (and first ever) mac I ordered it with a glossy screen. (Its still shipping :'()