Switch to Mac "3G in May"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wildcardd, Apr 21, 2008.

1. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

http://switchtoamac.com/site/3g-iphone-in-may-new-mobile-device-at-wwdc-2008.html

Do we know how reliable they have been? They don't seem to be the "usual rumor site" type.

2. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I have no idea about their reliability, but this is something that I actually see as somewhat likely. I mean, everyone is expecting the 3G model in June at WWDC, but for some reason I have the feeling that it might be released before then. Apple announces their financial results this week, and if my guess is right before the end of the month they will send out invites for a special event that will herald the second coming of the iPhone.

WWDC will be all about SDK, and possibly a new product introduction. Well, that is my uneducated guess anyway. :eek:

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

It's a rumour - may as well take it on it's own merits.

1) With the stated premise of production of 3G by Infineon in May, and ramp up in June, with 200,000 produced in May, it's easily possible. that Apple will use the 200,000 as initial buffer at the stores, and then ship as fast as possible as soon as more are made, and be at maximum production come June 10th.

2)No idea why Atom is highlighted. Didn't Jobs say late 08 for an Intel Apple MID (iTablet or other) (and at current power draw, it can't compete with ARM, or Broadcomm...).

The iPhone *is* an Apple Ultra Portable Device. Straight up PDA's are becoming dinosaurs, as there market is being dissolving. the very definition of a PDA is a handheld device that combines computing, telephone/fax, Internet, and networking features. Which is what mobiles have been doing for a while.

Cheers for the spot - does put a new spin on things.

We know if Apple announces a date, we're going to get out the pom poms, bunting and wallets :)

4. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

I think something is up...... I went to go order my newphew an iphone and the lead time is 7 days? :D

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

What i'd recommend is if you have a contract with any of the network providers that sells iPhone (e.g. O2 in UK) call through to the retention department and try and find out if there are any planned events happening.
    Some staff might be a bit clueless, but usually you can dig some dirt - doesn't have to be anything concrete, just something like
    "there's an upcoming event around May 10th"

There are more than enough macrumors members to verify anything found out. I can say it could work to a degree, as before O2 got announced as an official partner with Apple, I was able to confirm that O2 had an event which was the same time as an announced Apple event.

It might be a bit early, but then again, if something is going to be announced in May, i'm sure that all the partners would like to advertise that a new iPhone is coming out soon with them (just as soon as they've gotten rid of most of their old stock).

@ DrChipinski - Which country, and through an Apple store, or another outlet?

6. Xpublius macrumors newbie

Tax Rebate

It would be an excellent strategy for Apple to have the new iPhone ready to at the same time millions of people are getting their $600 tax rebate check from the government. I know that if they do, I'll have a very hard time holding onto my check. It will be like getting a free, new iPhone from the government.

7. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

USA-APPLE.COM STORE

8. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

Revolutionary Phone
    iPhone redefines what you can do on a mobile phone. Tap a number to make a call. Listen to voicemail in any order with Visual Voicemail.
    Widescreen iPod
    iPhone is an equally brilliant iPod. Enjoy music, videos, movies, rentals, and more on the 3.5-inch color display, and browse by album artwork with Cover Flow.
    Breakthrough Internet Device
    iPhone features rich HTML email and Safari, the most advanced web browser ever on a portable device.

Ships: 5-7 business days
    Free Shipping

$399.002

This is a gift Close

Giving a gift?
    Check this box to see a variety of gift options as you check out. Choose the Apple Gift Package for a signature gift box and a personalized greeting card. Or choose a free gift message on the packing slip.

Learn more

Ships: 5-7 business days
    Free Shipping

$499.002

This is a gift Close

Giving a gift?
    Check this box to see a variety of gift options as you check out. Choose the Apple Gift Package for a signature gift box and a personalized greeting card. Or choose a free gift message on the packing slip.

Learn more

(1) 1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less.
    (2) Two-year activation agreement with AT&T required.
    For personal use only, not for resale.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

When do people working in America get those roughly? It would be serendipidous for many I imagine :)

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

When oh when will we stop hearing "my friend's friend said Apple was gonna do this" on here? Some doofus in an MBA class is not going to be the one to break this news. Seriously, how many Apple rumors have been true that haven't been one of the top stories here or at other places like AppleInsider? Both MF and AI are reporting about the Italy unlocked iPhone thing, and they're going from an Italian newspaper.

11. tringo macrumors regular

The sale in the Uk on iPhone's goes until June 1 so I would be willing to bet my life savings there will be NO announcement of a new iPhone before that.

Apple has to consider its partners for a change. I still think the announcement at WWDC will be a new iPhone and iMac updates.

12. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

That's what I'm doing with my check. I was going to wait until my Verizon contract expired before I switched but the $600 will cover the cost of the iphone, the activation, and the pro-rated ETF. I might even have a few dollars left over to get a movie rental in iTunes.

13. tringo macrumors regular

Wow, this is what makes America great. The national economy is in an unprecedented housing crisis, and so the Government's drastic actions result in everybody buying iPhones, instead of the mortgage payments or putting food on the table.

14. wildcardd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not to de-rail my post, but some of us CAN pay our mortgage payments. And this comming from someone who was willing to bet his whole life savings on when the iPhone is going to be released. ;)

15. wildcardd thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think this has been pointed out to you in the past Michael, but this site is called Mac RUMORS. Get it? :rolleyes:

16. tringo macrumors regular

touche my friend. :eek:

Do you at least agree with my previous logic though? If Apple was to royally shaft its European partners by releasing a new iPhone before June 1 they would eliminate any chance of attracting more foreign carriers.

17. wildcardd thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think it is necessarily a "shaft" that they would be getting.

I was reading reports this weekend that the sales have doubled since the announcement in the UK and that the 8GB versions are actually in low supply there. That means that the phones are selling (and selling fast). They may not have any left by the time the announcement is made. Also, there may still be a market for a "reduced cost" iPhone over a fully loaded 3G iPhone.

Who knows what is going on with the French ;)

18. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Doesn't the discount only apply to the 8GB model? Wouldn't be a problem for them if the new iPhone comes in 16GB and 32GB flavors, but not 8GB.

19. wildcardd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Let me ask you this:
    Why do people buy older "outdated" iMacs and MacBooks after the new ones are announced? :cool:

20. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

The purpose of the Stimulus Package is actually for people to buy iPhones and other crap, not to pay off debts. Hence, it stimulates the economy.

It's a terrible idea, and it will never work, but that was the idea behind it.

21. mathewr macrumors 6502

thats exactly where my money went last year and possibly this year as well

22. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

You assume I would default on my mortgage and starve just to have an iPhone? :confused:

I didn't mean to turn this thread into a debate about the state of America's economy. I don't think the stimulus package is a good idea but the money is coming, my mortgage is fixed, and there is food in the cupboard so I'm getting an iPhone. :)

And now back to the excitement of the upcoming 3G iPhone...

23. joekun macrumors regular

24. alideman macrumors newbie

hmm

last iphone was announced in january and it came out on june 29, 2007
    same day pixars cars was released
    this year ppl are saying it will be announced during the jun 9-13 period
    and it might come out on june 27th
    same day as pixars Wall-E is being released

25. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Not only can I pay for my home, I also have three iPhones and will get the latest and greatest iPhone as soon as it's out. Not everyone is facing this crisis you speak of.