Switcheasy Canvas for iPad (Gen 3)

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Digidesign, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Digidesign macrumors 6502

2. mr.wiggles macrumors member

This is interesting. That site says that the new Canvas will fit both an iPad 2 and the new iPad. Switcheasy's response to my email asking whether or not the new iPad would fit the Canvas case for the iPad 2 wasn't exactly "no". I wonder what the difference will be. Guess I'll have to wait until next Friday to find out if what they say is actually true!

3. oliboli macrumors member

It looks great! A bit more streamlined than the previous version. I can't wait to get the red one. Don't know how I feel about that pattern, though...

4. ipos macrumors 6502a

5. fupresti macrumors regular

Good. I love the Canvas for my iPad 2 and the only drawback is the clasp. Really looking forward to this.

6. SmittS macrumors regular

Wow. This looks nice. I was gonna go smart cover and back shell, but this may change my mind. Unfortunately I just ordered some ********** skins for the smart cover.

7. sekazi macrumors 6502

What is up with the ugly plastic tab on them. I could never understand why they do stuff like that.

I am going to wait for the CoverBuddy. I emailed this yesterday and it appears they are sending out generic responses because I got the exact email back as above.

They did not answer me on the PureAR so I ordered one anyways. Everyone says it is the same size so it should be good to go.

8. Digidesign thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm not digging the swirls on the inside cover. Oh well, looks like we'll find out more on the 16th.

9. knuster macrumors regular

knuster

Now this is exactly what i need!
    Just wish they would start shipping it today.

10. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Why don't you like the clasp? Doesn't it keep it shut better? I am just asking because I opted to by the 399 iPad 2 and I just purchased a Canvas for it...

11. gigemzach macrumors 6502

Me neither. I also hope they have the charcoal color again.

12. gummycat macrumors newbie

Bummer!

I love my SwitchEasy Canvas for the iPad 2 and was looking forward to getting a newer version of the case for my iPad 3. However, if this is the new design, then in my opinion, they have taken a step backwards. Personally, i was fine with the clasp after having bent it just a bit. The step backwards in my opinion is that the iPad 2 version has a fold in the front cover that this new one does not seem to have that allows for even more configurations. In fact, I use it currently in a way that they don't even advertise (someone on the original forum from last year had posted a picture and it worked perfectly) and it is awesome. I'll still keep an eye out on this one, and I will still consider it if the new design allows for a large number of angles. It looks like it may support a large number of angles and if so, I'll still consider it. I do love the company as their support and replacement policies couldn't be any better.

They did reply to an email I had sent saying there would be some new designs coming exclusive to the iPad 3 in addition to updates to the current line up.

13. LJ50 macrumors member

I've never understood people's problem with the clasp. Has worked absolutely fine for me.

I've used the Canvas for 6-9 months or so now and though I like it I have two big problems with it. 1) the Velcro is rotten. Lasted weeks before losing its ability to "stick" and 2) it weighs a tonne! It must double the weight of the iPad.

14. pruppert macrumors 6502

pruppert

Very nice find. Thanks for posting.

I was eyeing the current Canvas, but still thought it looked a little too bulky and I didn't like the look of that clasp. This new version looks awesome! I'll be getting the tan one.

15. christof macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I liked how the clasp kept the front display protected (in the event of an accidental drop). The fold on the front is gone, so I wonder how a 30° typing angle could be achieved. I really thought that the CANVAS for iPad 2 was fine the way it was. Charcoal was the best color.

16. geko29 macrumors 6502

I like the clasp, but my wife HATES it (she has very weak hands) and my son more often than not jams it in between the case and the side of the iPad. So it's a toss-up for me. In a vacuum, I'd prefer to have it, but in the real world I'm ok not having it.

The lack of the front fold is also both good and bad for me. I too use the "unadvertised" position on occasion, which will go away without the extra fold. But at the same time, not having it will make it easier to stand the ipad up on uneven surfaces (like on my chest/stomach when laying in bed) without the case collapsing.

I'll probably buy it again.

17. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Looks like a nice high quality case.. How does it allow the iPad to be positioned at any angle you want? Some kind of velcro or something?

18. marcello696 macrumors regular

thanks for the link, I'll be ordering one of these on the 16th.

19. iToNe24 macrumors regular

it looks like there are no cutout slabs to put ipad in different angled ed positions

20. Radio macrumors 68000

I wonder how well that felted swirls will hold the iPad in position.

Also miss the clasp

Well their customer service is great and I got my money's worth for sure.

3 replaced cases.

21. Digidesign thread starter macrumors 6502

I might wait a bit to see if the material has improved. It was too brittle for my iPad 2 and the corners cracked after a little bit of time. Their customer service was top notch though, and allowed a full refund.

22. celly macrumors 6502

I just ordered one in black. I didn't mind the latch. The cracking issue bugged me. I've got my fingers crossed that they solved it with this rendition. It's been my "go to" case with my iPad 2 and will share time with the Beyza Exec II case I've also got on order.

I sent an email to customer service to find out if they've dealt with the cracking issue but I decided to order one anyhow. Switcheasy stands behind their products (I had a Canvas replaced under warranty a few months ago).

23. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Yea, those swirls on the felt don't seem to hold onto the ipad for it to stand up...

The Canvas 2 has a few grooves that hold the ipad... Given that they claim that their new Canvas works for the ipad 2 AND ipad 3, so.. Maybe my Canvas 2 case will work for the ipad 3. ;)