SwitchEasy NEO with Wiggles!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by CADer, Sep 30, 2008.

1. CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

So I have a Switcheasy Neo and the 'I" frame wiggles just enough to make me get a new one - I did and it has the same wiggle - It wiggles most when the head phone port cover is not in tight and when the Sync Cable plug is not in.

So my question is how many experience this slight wiggle?

2. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Mine has a slight wiggle, doesn't bother me at all actually. You could probably stick a folded up piece of paper in there or something to take care of that. It's very minor on mine however, and with a skin on the back of the phone it doesn't really budge at all.

3. Nicholie macrumors regular

Mine was not very tight either, and would move and adjust.

However, that wasn't my only problem. The very thin plastic at the speaker notches (bottom of the "I" bracket) broke while assembling the case. Emailing switch easy to get a replacement, no response back yet.

And to think I was so happy with this case..

4. CADer thread starter macrumors 6502

CADer

Yes my first one broke too but only because I was trying to bend it in so that it didn't wiggle so much.

I found out how to eliminate the wiggle and now I am supper happy with this case- I will post some pics when I get to my Computer.

5. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

How did you eliminate the wiggle? I have wiggling on the top I frame, probably cause I re-applied the case for at least 15 times already.

6. CADer thread starter macrumors 6502

CADer

I actually cut a real thin strip of Card stock Paper - I used an Apple Gift Card Holder (the big silver one, but only one layer) as the paper and super glued it to the underside on the 'I' frame - It works so good now- wasn't easy to do since super glue sticks to finger and will slightly melt plastic (yes this can be bad it you apply too much) - so don't get it on any visible surface or you will have a blotch.

After carefully gluing the paper I touched it up with a black sharpie so that the white does not show from the outside.

I must warn you though the chances of pulling this off without any noticeable affect is very slim. I barely made it out alive but I had the mind set that if I can fix it I didn't want the case cause it bothered me too much.

It looks so good you can't even tell - I think we should point SwitchEasy to this thread cause it should be made like this out of the box. The fit is very good and you can't tell I modded it at all.

Also put your iPhone in a different room cause you don't want to get any super glue on it.

I will post some pics. later today when I get home. -To bad I can post pics from my iPhone.

7. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Oh I get it. Problem is I haven't seen yet that Apple Gift Card holder (sucks) and I'm scared of using super glue. I'll wait for your pics no rush at all. Do you know any other alternatives? We should probably point out this thread to SwitchEasy - I second that.

8. CADer thread starter macrumors 6502

CADer

You can use any heavy paper - I started with an actual Gift Card - The plastic but then realized that was a bad idea and too thick. Do you have any magazines with thicker covers? that would work -Maybe - I will take a picture of the Apple paper.

You can always go to an Apple store and just take one they are pretty much free as long as you don't take too many. The gift cards aren't worth anything unless you put money on it.

My next Mod to the case is to shave the Switcheasy logo down a bit but lets talk about one at a time here.

9. CADer thread starter macrumors 6502

CADer

Not very easy to take pictures but this is the best I could do over Lunch

Attached Files:

10. Davoo macrumors member

You can also put masking tape on each end of the phone under the the silicon. Worked good for me.

11. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

So that is the Apple Gift Card at the end of the white frame? Hmm how'd you cut that size? I have the white neo I think mine should blend it easily. Come to think of it I thought you were sticking the card literally at the back of the I-frame, not at the very end. So yours worked right?

How long was the masking tape? Dang I don't want to ruin the silicon cause it's super thin.

12. jparris1 macrumors regular

I just put a couple of small pieces of scotch tape under the edge of the iframe. Easily removable, and not hurting the silicon inner layer. Not sure If I will have to replace it occasionally but it works well and is cheap.

13. m98evolution macrumors newbie

I noticed the I frame wiggling as well so I installed the fullbodyfilms protection pack and now the Neo fits perfectly and there's an added layer of protection on the back surface of my 3G!

14. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

The "fullbodyfilms protection pack", that's one of those skins you put in the back right? Like more of IS and BG type of skins?
    All I hear is it's a painstaking to place those stuff on your iPhone, and also time-consuming.

15. Nicholie macrumors regular

First attempt to fix broken Neo ended in disappointment, broke again not but a few hours later. Sometimes super glue isn't always an answer.

I've yet to receive a response back from SwitchEasy on this, and I'm getting very... very irritated. Wasted 30 bucks on a piece of plastic.

16. fandsw macrumors regular

I tried getting them to respond via the website and never heard anything. I then found my paypal receipt which had a CC address for them. Tried this and got a reply within the day.

17. w0ngbr4d macrumors regular

My case exhibits the same issue.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. I send them an email too.

18. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Have you received any word from them yet?

I haven't so far :( I even pointed out our thread here at MacRumors.

EDIT: I just got a reply and here it is:

I just recently got an e-mail from Zoltan cause I pointed him the threads here in Mac Forums about the said issue, his reply is as follows:

Thank you for your feedback we are certainly try to improve and eliminate any problems on current and upcoming models! A Solution is not just necessary but it is Essential when you are the "New company around the block"

Thank You

Zoltan

I'm looking forward for their upcoming cases!

19. m98evolution macrumors newbie

Sorry for the slow response, I've been out of town. Anyway, yes fullbodyfilms is one of those skin packages like the IS and BG. It actually isn't such a bad process. The trick is to do it in a steamy bathroom to keep the dust down and not to use too much water. Other than that, the fullbodyfilms pack is great as it comes with 2 films (crystal and anti-glare) for the front that are identical to the ones offered by Power Support. After removing and re-installing my neo several times it is still solid on the phone thanks to the film layer that keeps the fit tight. Hope this helps.

20. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Hi
    I have a neo with wiggles at the bottom. I tried the scotch tape method and saw no difference. I emailed switcheasy and Chris suggested I bend the frame back in. I tried this and the bottom bit broke. I emailed back and they are going to send me a replacement. That is great customer service in my book.

The wiggle is one of those things I think that some will be able to live with but when I was making calls with my phone I could feel the whole back of the case moving and making a (granted, small but distracting) noise.

I love this case and really want it to work for me. I am hoping the new one will be a bit tighter. I may have to resort to trying the thin strip of card glued to the bottom but I am a bit ham-fisted when it comes to these things. Maybe the body skin idea might be best for me as it might not matter how accurately it is fitted as it will be covered by the case.

21. CADer thread starter macrumors 6502

CADer

The fit on my Neo could not be better- I have the Card strip and more recently added scotch tape around the trim of the iPhone since I noticed that the 'H' frame wiggles ever so slightly - but now it is like a whole new phone I am loving it!!! And this is coming from a guy that on his first iPhone went through so many cases and never found one he like so kept it naked.

22. dongadrew macrumors member

I recently received my Neo on the 8th of October and my I-Frame is wiggling a bit too. Nothing to big but I hope the condition will not worsen over time.

23. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Do you have a white neo or a black one?

I've heard somehow they've changed the white I-frame to a "kitchen tabletop texture", it's somewhere in these forums.

24. dongadrew macrumors member

I have a black Neo I emailed them today and they said they could send me a replacement but they don't ship to canada :(

Yeah I heard they changed the I frame too fro the white Neo too.

25. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

New & Improved Switcheasy Capsule Neo

Guys!

Just an update, I recently e-mailed Switcheasy about the complaints people get with the wiggles, and they totally managed to fix it! This applies for white capsuleneo (since that's the one I have and the one they shipped) and there are NO wiggles at all on the new ones! This is awesome! They also managed to replace the rubbery back of the white I-frame to an all plastic (yeah now it looks sort of cheap) but I'm after its advantages which is mainly:
    - now stains are reduced A LOT
    - snug, no wiggles, no squeaks/noise
    Definitely definitely would recommend this product, and Switcheasy as a company is totally awesome and exceptional customer service! I'm now 100% satisfied with this case. So far I had Griffin Elan form replaced with Incase slider replaced with PowerSupport Clear Airjacket replaced with SwitchEasy White CapsuleNeo replaced with Griffin iClear then replaced with the new improved SwitchEasy White CapsuleNeo and this will be my final case :)