Switcheasy Tones (Black) Blue Rocket mod!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by blue rocket, Oct 15, 2012.

1. blue rocket, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012

blue rocket macrumors 6502

blue rocket

Just got my Switcheasy Tones case (in black). Great case! I had two issues, one, it wasn't black, it was gray and lighter gray...looked good, but I really wanted it darker. Compared to my Belkin Grip Candy Sheer case (gravel/blacktop), the button feedback sucked. I know others claim it's good, well compared to the Belkin, it sucks.

Decided to try my luck on dying the case darker... I've heard and seen the G-Shock community doing this to their old G-Shocks...so I gave it a go. G-Shock owners also claimed to boil their resin (specifically mudman models) to improve tactile feedback.

Used RIT black dye (liquid version), picked it up at CVS for $5, boiled up some water, then got it to a simmer and added the dye. Ended up taking about 45 minutes of getting nervous, taking it out, putting it in, etc, etc. In the end...this is what it came out looking like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here it is next to my Belkin, notice the belkin has a slight purple/reddish hue to it...that's accurate)

[​IMG]

Feedback of the volume/power buttons is DRAMATICALLY improved, just as nice, if not better than the belkin now.

The hard plastic portion didn't change much in color, but the TPU portion is nearly BLACK...it has a slight blue'ish hue, which looks very similar to the slate color of the iPhone 5, maybe a touch more purple...but still damn nice.

I should have taken before pictures...but unfortunately didn't. In my opinion, this is how the case should have come from the factory!

----------

Here's a pic I found from another member, as it looks from the factory. No, the black back of mine didn't get lighter...that's how light the gray was compared to the plastic section!

[​IMG]

2. imazu macrumors regular

3. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

Mine looks just like your dyed version lol. Confused

4. blue rocket thread starter macrumors 6502

blue rocket

It's just the photos... Your TPU section is a lighter gray than the plastic middle section. Mine is nearly black after the dye job. With case installed, the edge is black, just like the black iPhone.

Here's a photo showing the OEM lighter gray color, compared to the black of the iPhone:

[​IMG]

In my photos you'll notice that lighter gray is now black.

More pics of an unmodified case can be seen here: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...iew]-switcheasy-tones-iphone-5-a-3938108.html

5. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

Yours looks better for sure. I ordered this case Friday so I’m still waiting for it to come in. I wouldn't mind trying this but would be afraid the dye would rub off on the phone. Would like to hear how it holds up in a few weeks before I do it. I wish they came from the factory like this because it looks great with the black at the top and bottom. Looks like a closer match to the black iPhone. Great Job!

6. floss macrumors regular

From the reports of the black camera ring chipping off, i'm surprised that the boiling hot water didn't completely rub it off...unless it did and that's the color of the dye imbued into the ring.

Looks nice though, I have the white version of this case and I wonder if doing the same process without the dye will improve tactile feedback while not affecting the color of the TPU/black ring.

7. MLAM macrumors regular

Very nice, I got mine today and saw how grey it looks.

Wonder if a liquid shoe polish would do the same thing?

I guess the boiling part is crucial?

8. kyellowness macrumors regular

damn that case looks really goooood! I'm especially loving the middle part. love how it's a different texture to match the iphone 5 back. btw, looks MUCH better dyed.

9. chraos macrumors member

i notice an apple logo and darkening on the back of the empty belkin case, is that some kind of cardboard insert? or did the phone itself cause that discoloration on the inside

10. blue rocket thread starter macrumors 6502

blue rocket

Good eye, it's a custom vinyl insert made by grfxp.com. It gives the belkin case a more iphone 5 two color look to it!

11. RTbar macrumors regular

hows the case holding up, I am considering doing this

12. chraos macrumors member

that is very cool! i like that idea, clever solution..think im gonna do this myself...thanks for the info

13. rlee17 macrumors newbie

i just received this case, and i'm a little disappointed at how grey it is. i like how your case turned out with the dye. can you give me step by step instructions on how to do this? do you drop the whole case in the boiling black dye? or do you pour the boiling water into another bucket first? not sure it'll be a good idea to use cooking pots to boil water + add dye to it... lol

also, how has the dye held up after all these months?

14. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Pretty nice looking! This makes sense. The TPU section of the Tones will collect dirt or color from other materials/fabrics...so might as well dye it instead!

Nice job...how has it held up? BTW, I got a replacement Tones back in Feb or so...the black ring issue seems fixed. Hasn't rubbed off at all.

15. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Sounds like it's finally time for me to pick up a Tones!

16. viewfly, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

RIT dyed Tones compared to Slim Armor

Okay, so I RIT dyed black my 'black' Tones case. Came out really nice!

I didn't use simmering hot water, but the very hot water from my faucet. It comes out very hot, that I can't keep my finger in the water stream for more than a second. Took about 35 minutes.

I read up a bit. The polycarbonate doesn't really take in the dye, which is fine. But the TPU does (hence the problems people had with a white Tones and blue jean stains). My came out black enough and since the TPU part is the top/bottom back and all the front rim, it really takes away the 'grey' look.

Very nice fix! I didn't boil the water, but on low on stovetop. Just scalding hot. Took 45 min at this temp to get real black.

Photos on how mine came out: RIT dyed Tones, OEM Tones Blue and Spigen Silm Armor for comparison.

Attached Files:

17. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

18. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

I didn't use boiling water or even simmering. That makes the TPU really distort (although it seems to cool down to the original shape). I had my pot on 'low' on an electric range which was steaming, but not simmering. Took 45 min to get to a good dark charcoal. At first the TPU softened and distorted, but the water cooled a bit and then it was okay. Overall, it didn't change the shape.

Figure out some way to keep the case submerged, but not touching the bottom or sides. I dunked for minutes, 5- 10 at a time, and removed until 45 was up.

I tried another case with hot steaming faucet water for 45min, but it cooled down and the color was more of a dark grey.

It is holding up well, color doesn't come off and looks really great. This Tones is a keeper now.

19. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Any chance on a quick video of the case and it of the phone showing all side ?thanks much

20. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Sure. Might take me to early next week when I have some free time. What are you looking for in particular?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

21. viewfly, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013

viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Okay here is a quick YouTube video showing all sides after the RIT dye black job I did. I put the original OEM port plugs in the case so you can compare the original Tones 'black' color with the new dyed color.

It's easy, just be careful not to make a mess, or use your wife's pots. I bought a cheap one at the store.

YouTube video and snapshot of the bottom case with original port plugs.

http://youtu.be/Sv146BNS6Og

Attached Files:

22. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Dyeing the black Tones case didn't remove the black ring. Either on my old one that 'chipped' off or the newer one where they fixed the problem.

23. 1finite macrumors member

I tried this too and had great results. Side by side comparison
    [​IMG]

24. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Nice job!

25. rgarjr, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013

rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Damn, nice dye job guys. I'm going to do mine soon. What kind of pan u use for this? Does the dye stay on the it?