Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Switcheasy Tones (Black) Blue Rocket mod!

Damn, nice dye job guys. I'm going to do mine soon. What kind of pan u use for this? Does the dye stay on the it?

I used a small pot (quart?). A cheap one from the grocery store. What will fit and submerge the phone. I wasn't crazy about using our cooking pots, and that is what others warned. Google RIT general purpose dying for hints.

Get plenty of paper towels out and wipe up right away any spills on stoves, Formica etc.

Good luck. Remember that time and temp go hand in hand. If you don't like it, you can always continue the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
how much water:dye ratio did you use for this?

Heavier dye concentration then you would use for fabrics. I googled what people did for model plastic parts.

I think I used 1/2 package for a quart + of water. Not too critical. If its not dark enough use more dye or time.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
how much water:dye ratio did you use for this?

It is mentioned in this thread elsewhere, but I would 'dunk' and then inspect instead of continuous submersion. The material is soft already, and you don't want it to deform permanently.

I'd dunked it for 20, 30 or 60 seconds at a time. You can tell, it will get very soft and deform. When it cools it comes back to shape...but I was too nervous to leave it in continuously for the full 35 minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.