Switcheasy Vulcan

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by wingnut8, Dec 2, 2009.

1. V4705 macrumors 6502

nice! i really like this iskin solo type (polymer-gel-thingy).

2. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Looks nice, let us know what you think after you try it out :)

3. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

I ordered one of these on Sunday, it should be here in a couple days, hopefully. I can't wait to try it out.

4. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Looks nice, too bad they insisted on putting that raised logo on the back. Makes the phone rock a bit when on laying on the back.

5. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Good point! I didn't catch that one. I'm curious on how clear can this case will be after some x amount of time. If not I'll go for the black one (after seeing reviews of course)

6. wingnut8 thread starter macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I'll try and post some pics when I get it. They said they shipped it out today.

7. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

That will be greaty appreciated.

8. zdblue11 macrumors member

zdblue11

9. aphexii macrumors 6502

is this the same type of material uses in iSkin Solo/Solo FX?

10. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

I got mine today, I'll post some pics and my thoughts on it later.

11. jparris1 macrumors regular

Just got mine. I really like it. Very similar to the new Speck SeeThru, but it covers the chrome bezel. Fits great, feels awesome in the hand. A bit thinner than the Candyshells. Feel is a bit slicker than the iSkin solo (I have the black opaque one) Great pack ins. two dock port plugs and two headphone plugs as well as a screen protector and small microfiber. I think I will be using mine over the my other hydrocarbon style cases now.

12. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

I really like this case, mainly because it is protective yet slim, one of my favorite cases is still the Speck Candyshell but it's somewhat thick.

You get screen protectors, 2 dock port covers, 2 headphone port covers and a cleaning cloth.

The Switcheasy Vulcan covers everything except the vibrate switch. It feels good in the hand its smooth yet feels tacky, as if it won't slip out of my hand.
    It looks very cool, I got the "smoke" color version. I don't have any cases that are similar so I can't directly compare this to my other cases unfortunately.

There is one thing that is bothering me about this case is that the camera hole does not line up.

I'll have to try it out for a few days anyway before I can tell if it will be a case I will use regularly. Right now I am not sure if it will be.

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. dinosaur1 macrumors regular

2 questions

Is this really scratch resistant on the outside?

If you lay on the front is there a rim around the screen so it doesn't lay flat on the screen?

14. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

It seems pretty scratch resistant. Only time will tell but it seems like it will hold up better than hard plastic cases in terms of scratching. There is a lip over the edge that keeps the screen from laying flat.

15. dinosaur1 macrumors regular

Nice. I just ordered the Speck Candyshell 1 month on jr.com so I am debating on whether or not to return it and get this one.

I like this one since it's slimmer and it can't slip out of your hands like the CandyShell. But the CandyShell won best case of 2009 on ilounge.com so I am so confused on what to do...=)

16. stenzor macrumors newbie

Just ordered mine today... I have the Speck Candyshell, but the bottom lip cracks almost right away, so I'm looking forward to this one because it looks more reinforced. Also it looks pretty beautiful! I ordered the clear one for my black iPhone. If it comes with any imperfections, I'm sending it back and getting a new one. It was between this case and the new Speck Seethru... I might get the new Seethru later too. I'll post photos of it on my black iPhone when I get it in case anyone is interested.

17. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

I think the Candyshell is definitely better drop protection, same with the Seethru, with the Vulcan I feel my phone is a little more prone to being broken if I drop it, it isn't a very thick case, though the corners seem pretty tough.

I really do like the Vulcan, I like that everything is covered and I feel that I do get some drop protection and that it is thin and adds minimal bulk to the phone. I'd say it's definitely worth trying out if you like these hydro-polymer type of cases. My real only gripe is I wish the camera hole lined up better.

I use my Candyshell the most and my SeeThru and Otterbox Commuter are in second. I am not sure if the Vulcan will make me stray from using those three the most.

Also my Candyshell's bottom has yet to crack and I take it off somewhat often to put other cases on. Maybe I'm gentler than most people or just lucky I don't know but has yet to be an issue for me and I was worried about that when I first got it.

18. dinosaur1 macrumors regular

the only reason I don't like the Speck see-thru is the polycarbonate case which will scratch alot over time. this Switcheasy Vulcan is the thing I have been looking for for a while. now we will have to see if it truly stands up to it's name.....

19. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

I am just wondering if you can sort of massage the case into place so that camera hole lines up a bit better. I have the iSkin Solo which is made out of the same material and it also does not line up perfectly at first, but if you sort of massage it into place, it will line up just fine. <SHRUG>

20. Screwtape macrumors regular

Does the Switcheasy logo on back make the phone wobble when it's flat on a table? That was my biggest gripe with the Neo; it never sat flat.

21. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

Their logo is raised and it will make the phone wobble a bit.

22. wingnut8 thread starter macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I'll have some pics of the clear case on white phone later tonight.

23. jparris1 macrumors regular

I liked the new See Thru, but I've had two break (separating where the two materials meet.) The Vulcan feels just as protective as the Seethru to me, but clearly not as much as the Candy Shell.

24. wingnut8 thread starter macrumors 65816

wingnut8