Switched from 7 Plus to a 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ILowry82, Mar 29, 2017.

1. ILowry82 macrumors regular

With the release of the red iPhone, I decided to switch from my matte black 7 Plus to a red 7. Its weird but I don't miss anything about the plus. The 7 feels much better in the hand and is easier to use. Anyone else make the same switch?

2. Relentless Power, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I own both the 4.7 inch iPhone 7 (Work phone) and iPhone 7 Plus. While I do agree with you ergonomically the 4.7 inch iPhone feels much better in my hand, I think the 7+ suits my lifestyle better with the larger 1080 display, added battery and additional ram is the biggest factor for me.

If one can deal with the size of the 7+, I could never go back to the 4.7 inch as my primary iPhone. The features on the 7+ are easily a major advantage over the smaller variant.

3. el.jeffe58 macrumors member

el.jeffe58

I did the same thing and love the switch. Somehow my display seems more sharp and clear on the 7 vs the +. I traded my matte black 7+ for a jet black 7 with a Ringke smoke black clear case. The case is clear with a tint of gray in it. It feels much better in my small hands too.

4. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I too tried the 7+ for one week. I returned it and got the 7. (I also went from the shiny black to the simple silver and bumped the memory up to the 256 model). Although I got bit for the $45. return fee from AT&T the overall trade was just what I needed. Simply put, the 7+ is a tremendous iPhone yet the 7 just works out better for me.

5. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I'm going to switch back to the smaller device this year with the new iteration. I like the display on the 4.7' devices better. It's easier to hold as well.

I was going to sell my plus but my guy said to keep it.

So I'll just trade it in for the newer iPhone 7s(or whatever it'll be called, the non-edition one).

Just hope they keep jet black.

6. joeob macrumors member

I've just done the same. Gone from 7 Plus to a 7 and I love it. I got a smart battery case which is also great

7. geraldem macrumors regular

I have done the same thing, love having a smaller phone in the summer. Will keep both though, as it is great to go back and forth.

8. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

Bought the 7 in red sent it back for the plus. Speakers were much quieter and they didn't have a 'full' sound on the 7 and the screen is so much better on the plus. Not to mention the camera or the battery life being better on the plus also.

9. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I went the other way -- from the 7 to the 7+. (Actually from the 6S+ to the 7 to the 7+.)

I love how light the 7 is, but the screen was too small (especially for my ageing eyes) and I like the better camera.

I also went from Matte to Jet Black. Loved both.

10. its Dale macrumors 6502

I want to go from my 7 to the Plus, but can't find anyone to trade with

11. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

I'm always puzzled when people refer to RAM as being a deciding factor. What does the additional RAM get you?

12. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

I thought I liked the Plus size, I sold my 6s+ last month while it still had some warranty in preparation for this years launch and went back to my old 6 and have found I much prefer the 4.7” form factor.

I’ll be going for the 4.7” model this September.

13. HellasLEAF macrumors member

HellasLEAF

I've never owned the plus and never will.

It's too big. Call me old fashioned but I like putting my phone in my pocket. The plus is just too big for the average pocket, especially with case.

14. jettie1767 macrumors 6502

I've gone from a 7 Plus to an S8+ to an S8 then to a 7 in a span of 3 months. I love the size of the 7 and it's easier to use one-handed.

15. coleblk macrumors regular

I originally pre-ordered the Matte Black 7 Plus but soon dreaded the huge form factor as my daily driver phone so I switched to a Jet Black regular 7 with the smart battery case. That makes the phone last forever albeit weight on par with the Plus, the overall dimensions are still much more usable for me.

16. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

A 5 inch screen would be perfect for me. I like my Pixel XL size with Touch ID on back. The 7 works better for me with touch on the front.

17. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Theoretically, better multitasking, so you can do things like leave more apps open and be able to switch between them without them having to refresh.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 24, 2017 ---
    This is why I'm looking forward to the near bezel less "iPhone 8". A plus sized display in a non-plus sized form factor. Talk about having your cake and eating it too!

18. praterkeith macrumors regular

praterkeith

I switched from a 6+ to a 6 a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. The 5.5" screen just wasn't for me.

19. cababah macrumors 68000

I have both; a 7+ as my personal and 7 as a work phone. The 7+ owns the smaller 7 in the areas that matter most to me:

1. Battery life
    2. Screen resolution and quality
    3. Camera
    4. Processing power/RAM

20. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

The more Ram your CPU has access to, it enables a much quicker performance through refresh rates and opening multiple applications or web pages.

Most importantly, Ram is important for software. Ram also assists in iOS support. Software requires a minimum amount of memory to be able to Perform Efficiently. If the Ram does not support all the software, It lags and crashes can occur. Generally, the more Ram a device accrues, it has the likeliness of being supported longer with future software updates. Lower amounts of Ram may not be adequate to support fururw iOS updates depending on the requirements.

21. T-Bob macrumors 6502

T-Bob

Had the 7 before the + for about 10 days and went for + but mainly for specs and stuff. The + is a huge phone, I remember seeing someone talking on the 6+ when it came out and it looked pretty silly. Looks like this will be solved in 2017 going forward though.

22. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Funnily enough I’m not seeing huge differences (in my use) with regards to points 1,2 or 3 in the way I use my phone (I did have a new battery fitted to the 6 when I started to use it again).

Obviously having gone back to a 6 the difference with regard to point 4 is quite obvious in use but I wouldn’t expect to see it with a 7 or 7s when it arrives.

23. T-Bob macrumors 6502

T-Bob

Point 4 is debatable. There is no extra processing power, and the 7 should in theory be faster in some operations as its pushing less pixels. RAM is nice but you'd probably not notice the benefit until you have enough apps running for the older ones to page out.

I did notice the lower resolution though, it's funny as you'd never think a screen above 300ppi would show that, but it does at very close viewing distance.

24. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

My VP has the 7 and I would still pick the 7+.