Switched from Android - my observations

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Evolution2015, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Evolution2015, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015

Evolution2015 macrumors newbie

Evolution2015

Hello.

I have now switched from Android to iPhone 6s. During first two weeks of hectic usage of my new iPhone, both for work and leisure. I want to reveal my observations of some of the major weakness of newest iPhone:

1. copy and paste function is very flawed and unstable,

2. very weak email handling in stock Mail app for accounts of Exchange, Hotmail, Gmail,

3. Siri being much less efficient than Androids alternative Google Now,

4. iOS 9 being unstable during hectic work sessions,

5. YouTube app not being able to view video in 1080p or 4k quality,

6. not being able to open some websites in Safari,

7. 3rd party keyboard crushing often, like Swift Key app,

8. loosing important emails with attachments,

9. no physical return button, is often a challenge,

Reason why I jumped on the Apple wagon now is that I assumed that after ten generations of iPhones, everything was polished and ready for the switch from my 8 years with Samsung and HTC phones. But, its far from ready. The result of this ”faulty” work by Apple is that on world basis Apple has only 14% of cellphone market share comparing to Androids 83% market share, I believe that this will not change in the near future, due to the above mentioned reasons and of course the obvious, iPhones are still massively overpriced.

Please do challenge my observations, come with suggestions on how to optimize iPhone for higher daily efficiency and performance. Because I truly want to give Apple a chance to convince me that iPhone is the tool for digital life.

Thank you

2. alent1234 macrumors 603

use chrome instead of safari
    use gmail app

exchange on iphone is way better than it's on my Note 3 or S6

3. Evolution2015 thread starter macrumors newbie

Evolution2015

Thank you for your reply Alent1234.
    I have tried gmail app, its a weak stripped down version of Android gmail app. Things like reading your draft before opening it for editing is a drawback, among other weakness.

I will try Chrome, thank you for your suggestion.

4. Aceroller macrumors member

I am a heavy user of exchange mail for work, and I find it much better than it was on the Samsung email app and the Moto "stock" email app. I can fly through emails and quickly swipe to do with whatever I need. Attachments are also great for me, just a quick tap and they open or I open them in a different app.

5. bkends35, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2015

bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

Exchange is garbage on android. It's laughably bad.

I use exchange for work and it's flawless on iOS 9.

6. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

1) What cut and paste difficulties are you having?

2) What is "weak" about the mail handling? I used my Android phone for months, and have no issues with the Apple Mail program.

3) Define "less efficient"? I didn't use Google Voice much, but I like using Siri. She understands what I say, even with relatively complex commands.

4) What are "hectic work sessions"? Maybe I don't use my phone "hard" enough, but I haven't had it crash

5) Can't comment on this... Don't use YouTube much. But I do wonder what kind of difference it would make viewing videos in 4k quality on a 5" screen...

6) What websites? There are some that aren't "Apple" friendly, unfortunately. Overall, I haven't had many complaints.

7) Can't comment, don't use 3rd party keyboards

8) I've never lost an e-mail or an attachment. Can't comment on what would cause that.

9) Yes, this can be an issue. And apps aren't consistent in how they handle the "back" functionality. Some swipe, some have buttons on the top, some on the bottom. I wish there was more consistency here.

Overall, though... I'm happy I switched back from my Android phone to the Apple world. My phone runs smoother, in terms of not causing me grief. Better battery life. Apps don't crash as often. But that could just be me. Use what works best for you.

C

7. barondebxl, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015

barondebxl macrumors 6502

barondebxl

I'm also an android user using an iPhone and honestly OP, it seems that you have picked all the negatives and forgot all the positives of this phone/OS.

I'm going on two weeks with the iPhone and I love it but not going to lie, I miss the freedom of android. This is very limited.

8. Evolution2015 thread starter macrumors newbie

Evolution2015

9. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

10. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

If you truly want to give Apple devices a chance..
    image.jpeg

Leave behind that which you have learned on the android, and start over as if you have never used a mobile device before.

11. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

12. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

The 6s isn't even 1080p resolution...

C

13. Evolution2015 thread starter macrumors newbie

Evolution2015

14. Evolution2015 thread starter macrumors newbie

Evolution2015

Hello barondebxl.

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I also miss the freedom of Android. And I am starting to see the positive side of iOS that you touched in your post. The system is very stable and fast. Always fast. Quite fascinating because I have over 50 apps installed now and use the phone a lot.

My third week now using iPhone.

15. ultravisitor macrumors 6502a

ultravisitor

I'm just over two weeks with my first iPhone. I honestly thought I'd miss Android more, but I really don't. At this point, iOS has all the features that I wanted from Android.

I still think Android handles notifications much better, and I haven't found a decent email app for my work email (which is handled via Google), but those aren't big deals for me.

16. barondebxl macrumors 6502

barondebxl

That is what is always awesome about IOS, it's stability. It works, always.

17. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The Apple email app is *tons* better than any Android crap. I have an Android tablet and although I love it, the email apps (I've tried them all) are so bad that it puts me off owning an Android phone. Having to download attachments and that gosh-awful Gmail is enough to make anyone come running back to Apple...

18. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I've said it before but a longtime iOS user going over to Android will miss things and hate new implementations every bit as much as a longtime Android user moving over to iOS. It's how you feel after spending a considerable amount of time with both that matters, or if you can't afford to spend the time learning a new system then stick with what you know. Lots do.

19. Still100 macrumors regular

Always heard this, what freedom do you miss?

20. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Honestly, too many to list here.
    (I know you weren't asking me, but it's a fact)

21. barondebxl macrumors 6502

barondebxl

For sure, the grass is always greener on the other side. I know that if I ditch the iPhone I'm going to miss so many things about it. But I do miss the ability to do whatever I want on android, download MP3 files and movies, rooting and installing custom roms.... It's like I need both lol. I may be getting an android tablet or something.

22. Still100 macrumors regular

Go ahead list the main 10 at least. I'm genuinely asking because I wanna know.

23. barondebxl macrumors 6502

barondebxl

Besides those I mentioned on this post above? Simple things like the ability to put your apps where ever you want on the home screen vs on the iPhone where all apps have to be next to each other, the ability to have widget on the home screen, having a back button and a multitask button all the time, beating able to tweak things without even rooting like the animation speeds, being able to install a custom launcher from the play store.... I can go all day easy.

24. barondebxl macrumors 6502

barondebxl

It's an absolute fact.