Switched to iphone 3gs from android! Apps question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Umit, May 4, 2011.

1. Umit macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've sold my sgs i9000 and switched to iphone 3gs and i am more than happy now. iphone ui is really so smooth and things are cool. I recommend to switch to all android users that got fed up with bugs and lags.

I've purchased few apps yesterday and i wonder what happens if i switch to iphone 4 (or ip5) in the future? Will i have to re purchase them again?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, they are tied to your Apple ID, so you will not have to buy them again.

3. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Not at all. As long as you sync/backup your iPhone you'll be able to move them onto your new iPhone at any time. They are linked to the Apple ID that purchased them.

4. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I really hate how if you have to reformat your computer Apple doesn't tell you that you've purchased an app before :(

Makes it VERY difficult to get all your apps back without purchasing new ones by mistake...

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can download them again for free.

You can also backup your whole phone on iTunes and transfer your apps and data to a new iPhone.

Ever heard of backup? Well the Mac App Store shows all the downloaded apps, so maybe write to Apple.com/feedback with that suggestion.

6. Umit thread starter macrumors newbie

My apps are here: /Users/.../Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications

can i backup this folder to a diskdrive?

i am visiting apps that i bought via itunes and there is no any info there that i bought or not. So, if i format or change my mac then can i restore with that backed up folder?

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There isn't really an indication on the iPhone or iTunes App Store, but if you click Buy, it will tell you that you already paid for this app and starts to download for free.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You're phone copies the apps to the computer, so when you plug in a new iPhone, you'll have the option to put those on as well. Even if you delete them both from the computer and phone, and you try to repurchase it, you'll get a message that you've already bought the app and won't be charged again.

If you think the 3GS is smooth, you have to try the 4.

9. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Yes, you can manually backup your application folder if you wish.

If you happen to have a hard drive crash, etc. its very easy to email apple support and tell them what has happened. They will put up everything you've purchssed, and lost, backup in your download queue and then you can redownload them again.

My wife had her laptop stolen, lost everything. One email to apple support, and less than 24 hours later she had about 60 apps and over 300 songs available to download again. It was some of the greatest support I've seen.

10. Umit thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats great! Thank you for the answers.

I think 3gs is very smooth, didnt see any lag so far and i am playing with it a lot.

The reason i couldnt buy ip4 is its price here in Turkey, it is around 1300USD.

Hopefully i will switch to iphone 5 in september if i can buy from the UK as simfree version. Are simfree versions available with the first launch? Or they wait carriers to sell enough contracts first?