Switching from 2008 Macbook to Macbook Air

izzisdashiz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
39
0
Hi guys, I sold my 2008 2.4 ghz , 2gb ram unibody model. I'm considering getting the 2010 2.4ghz, 4gb ram macbook pro or the 1.86 ghz 2gb ram. I know that the SSD along with the flash storage on the MBA makes it pretty fast. How would it compare to the 2010 model. I don't do anything hardcore. mostly just browsing, streaming tv shows. I'm going to go play with the 1.86 model at the Apple Store here in a few hours to give it a run. Thanks in advance.
 

rkheyfets

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
171
1
NYC
Hi guys, I sold my 2008 2.4 ghz , 2gb ram unibody model. I'm considering getting the 2010 2.4ghz, 4gb ram macbook pro or the 1.86 ghz 2gb ram. I know that the SSD along with the flash storage on the MBA makes it pretty fast. How would it compare to the 2010 model. I don't do anything hardcore. mostly just browsing, streaming tv shows. I'm going to go play with the 1.86 model at the Apple Store here in a few hours to give it a run. Thanks in advance.
For the tasks you mentioned the lost of cpu power 2.4 to 1.86 shouldn't be that bad especially since your gaining the SSD and you can get the air with 4gb of ram.
i have used both the 2010 2.4ghz macbook pro and the MPB with an i5 and the MPA 2.16,
and i would say the 2.4 MBP and MPA are the same to me if not the MPA being faster due to ssd.
 

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
1,203
6
The Black Lodge
You should certainly go with 4 GB of RAM if you opt for the Air - if not for anything else, then at least for resale value. The Lion isn't out yet, and it might be hungrier than we think. Remember you are going to run other applications too - and the RAM won't be upgradeable after purchase, as it's soldered onto the logic board.

You will notice huge difference. I went from late 2008 MB-alu to my 13" MB Air, and the difference in speed and responsiveness can't be described.
 

izzisdashiz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
39
0
You should certainly go with 4 GB of RAM if you opt for the Air - if not for anything else, then at least for resale value. The Lion isn't out yet, and it might be hungrier than we think. Remember you are going to run other applications too - and the RAM won't be upgradeable after purchase, as it's soldered onto the logic board.

You will notice huge difference. I went from late 2008 MB-alu to my 13" MB Air, and the difference in speed and responsiveness can't be described.
I'm trying to find some with 4gb of ram on Ebay. I've got that 10% off electronics coupon that has been going around and it saves tax buying on there. I'm looking at about $1100 shipped for a brand new one off of there.
 

rkheyfets

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
171
1
NYC
You should certainly go with 4 GB of RAM if you opt for the Air - if not for anything else, then at least for resale value. The Lion isn't out yet, and it might be hungrier than we think. Remember you are going to run other applications too - and the RAM won't be upgradeable after purchase, as it's soldered onto the logic board.

You will notice huge difference. I went from late 2008 MB-alu to my 13" MB Air, and the difference in speed and responsiveness can't be described.
Agreed with the ram the 4GB is a must always get as much ram as possible on devices like the air where it is NOT user upgradable.
 

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
432
28
I'm trying to find some with 4gb of ram on Ebay. I've got that 10% off electronics coupon that has been going around and it saves tax buying on there. I'm looking at about $1100 shipped for a brand new one off of there.
If you get the max Air you'll be fine. I have one and I love it. HD video editing and Aperture are the only things that I can't do on it.
 

izzisdashiz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
39
0
Just wanted to follow up on my post. I actually went with the 2010 2.4ghz 4gb ram Macbook Pro model. I was able to sell my 2008 Macbook for around $710 and I bought a slightly used 2010 model for $815. Pretty good trade off in my opinion. The MBA would have cost me 1100 and for that kind of money, I'd rather wait for SSD prices to go down and them put in the new chips in the next refresh. Thanks for all your help though. Hopefully the next MBA will be mine.