Switching from AT&T to Verizon iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPhone1, Mar 16, 2011.

?

AT&T to Verizon?

Poll closed Apr 15, 2011.
  1. Yes, I switched.

37.5%
  2. No, I am still with AT&T.

62.5%
  1. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Anybody switch from AT&T to Verizon when they upgraded from iPad 1 to iPad 2?

If so, why? For the better coverage? 3G speeds?

2. Mikee.Nu macrumors member

Mikee.Nu

I did. Also in the San Diego area. Never had a problem with at&t but verizon was all I could find today which is why I switched.

So far, coverage is the same. Same easy set up. Went with the 1GB plan because I just checked my iPhone and I've only used 1GB in the last 4 months since I'm on wifi at home.

1GB data for the iPad should be enough for non wifi moments. For me anyway.

3. JOHNGAETANO macrumors 6502

JOHNGAETANO

I switched from AT&T for two reasons. One, I could only find a Verizon version. Two, I felt having a AT&T iPhone and a Verizn iPad gave me guaranteed coverage.

I don't notice a difference in speed. If there is a difference I can't tell.

Coverage in my area is good for both, but Verizon seems better indoors with signal strength.

John

4. sarends macrumors member

Verizon coverage is awesome

I have Verizon 64gb iPad 2. We are on spring break vacation at Aspen Snowmass. When we drove up here from Fort Collins my daughters played with it using 3G for 100% of the trip. They watched Netflix a good share of the time with excellent quality.

5. iMule macrumors 6502

That will make an AT&T user cringe. It's great to have 3G almost anywhere! I love my Verizon iPad.

6. iPhone1 thread starter macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I switched also to have devices in both networks. Just don't travel enough overseas to keep a GSM iPad. Also got rid of my unlimited data plan. Just going to tether via my iPhone (jailbroken).

7. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

I was originally planning on getting the AT&T version but I ended up with a Verizon 64 GB model because they were out of AT&T. The way I look at is that I should almost always have data access between my AT&T iPhone 4 and the new Verizon iPad. I have been very happy with it so far.

8. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I've got AT&T unlimited data plan, and I don't want to give it up.

9. zenio macrumors 6502

I have accounts with both. I prefer AT&T for it's speed but Verizons not bad. I've had them both for years.

10. iRabbit macrumors 6502

Same here. At first I was a little nervous about getting the Verizon version, but honestly, I used my 3G with my AT&T iPad 1 about 4 times all year. I think the $20 plan gives a low-end user like me, more for the money. Also, in NY I think the Verizon coverage is more reliable (at least from what I've heard).

11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

For some reason due to a lack of research on my part, I completely messed up on getting my iPad 3. I got the AT&T iPad thinking that if there is a problem, I could just connect to a Verizon service since you are not locked into a contract. But no, your device is locked into a carrier for the life of the device. AT&T may never have LTE available in my high population area.

For some reason, I thought the iPad was universal enough to connect to any carrier as long as you signed up for their service. I wish I would have understood that basic wireless fact.

12. jschu22 macrumors regular

Maybe you can just take it back and get the Verizon. If you bought it from Apple then this is an incredibly easy process (did this myself).

13. Eallan macrumors 6502

That IS how it works.

What doesn't work, is 3G. AT&T won't be able to use Verizon's 3G for real reasons (hardware,) not just because it's arbitrarily locked out. I can drop an AT&T sim in my Verizon iPad and go to town.

14. bhays macrumors newbie

I switched to Verizon on my new iPad from AT&T on my iPad 1. When I got my iPhone 4 and then also when I got my iPad AT&T promised we would have 3G service within a month or two but it has never happened Verizon has had 3G in my area over four years and I'm just sick and tired of edge.

This way I can use the personal hotspot on the iPad in the truck to make my AT&T iPhone usable. If AT&T still doesn't have 3G when the iPhone five comes out I'm going to jump ship completely.

15. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I got it directly from Apple. I'll try that. Thanks.

16. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I switched to Verizon from ATT. Yes 3G speeds are slower in Verizon but not unusable, there is LTE coverage in my area where ATT doesnt even have my city on a roadmap. I have an unlimited plan from an ipad 1, which was grandfathered into my ipad 2. My wife has my ipad 2 now which will stay with that sim. If I find Verizon unbearable, well I will put the ATT sim in the Verizon iPad and it works just fine as I have tested it. On top of all that I have an ATT 4S, so I can tether to that should I ever need to.....Verizon just made sense....

By the way, I preordered and received the ATT version but returned it the first day to get Verizon.

17. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I'm about to switch to Verizon also. The HSPA+ for AT&T is not good. At least I will have a week and a half to decide whether to switch. I just hate the thought of paying a $35 activation fee. Allegedly AT&T told me the switch to LTE in my area should happen in about 6 months.

18. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Return it and get the Verizon. With it you can get Verizon LTE or AT&T 4g. All you need is an AT&T sim and the IMEI from an AT&T ipad1 or 2. With that information you can go o line with AT&T and set upa a data plan on the AT&T sim. So if you're in a no verizon LTE area, you can still get the att4g which will be faster than the fall back 3G coverage from Verizon.

----------

There is no activation fee. Only if you choose a post paid plan with Verizon will they try to gouge you with an "activation fee"