Switching from Power Mac to Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hoef, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Hi Folks,
    I have enough of waiting for the new mac pro to come out! Currently working on G5 Power Mac and thinking of switching to a Macbook Pro (15"). I am using the computer for Photoshop and animation rendering in After Effects. Sometimes I use FCP. Then the computer is also the audio / photo hub with up to 90 GB of data ....

My question to you experts is would I experience any usability degradation? Probably the MBP is much faster then my current setup so that should be ok. But I mean with a MBP I have to work of a single harddrive with all my data and a max 4 GB of memory.

Any comments appreciated..... Thanks so much

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

If you could wait...I would wait. The Mac Pro is what I would get instead of the MBP. But ask yourself...do you need portability?

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Ditto, wait for the Mac Pro. The MBP is not going to be tons better than your current set up. If you're used to desktop performance and features then wait.

4. Hoef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Thanks for the response but my Power Mac is dying because of the resistor issues .... fans blowing, can't reboot without tricks, arghh. Need a new computer fast

5. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

IIRC the MBP can handle 6GB.

Just thought I'd let you know.

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Instead of a new macbook pro, why dont you not wait anymore and opt for the current mac pro?

Its still miles faster than the newest highest end macbook pro.