Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
Like other posters here, I wonder what would happen if I lost my iPhone. Verizon won't let me do anything on my account (even if I call tech support) until a link is sent to my phone and clicked.

I actually had Verizon when eSIMs first rolled out and it was still the bad times. lol. My service wasn't working so they couldn't send anything to my phone but they emailed me instead and verified other security info. People lose their phones or get them stolen all the time so there has to be another way to verify a customer.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

jk73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
I suspect the problem is still there, at the core of it you need to transfer SIMs and they might make you “authenticate” with your current line.

It seems like there has to be a way to escalate past this issue. If I call to report my phone as stolen or destroyed, it makes no sense they'd still insist on using that device for 2FA. It seems like this is one reason, if not the main reason, AT&T has the account passcode.

You could keep an AT&T SIM on you “just in case”, either way.

I assume, if I switch to eSIM, my current SIM would still work in the future if needed — i.e., it's not rendered obsolete by the switch? If so, I'll tuck it into my briefcase or suitcase.

Regardless, don't carriers basically give SIM cards away? Seems like anyone worried about theft/damage while abroad could pick up an emergency backup SIM and tuck it into a bag.

Reactions: NYCValkyrie

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
I assume, if I switch to eSIM, my current SIM would still work in the future if needed — i.e., it's not rendered obsolete by the switch? If so, I'll tuck it into my briefcase or suitcase.

Regardless, don't carriers basically give SIM cards away? Seems like anyone worried about theft/damage while abroad could pick up an emergency backup SIM and tuck it into a bag.

Double check w/ AT&T on that because they may be one of the carriers that don't let you reuse the old SIM. Verizon did but TMO doesn't. But yes you could get a backup SIM from AT&T if needed and activate online or via a call to CS.

Please keep us posted on what you decide or what your experience is! You can always switch back if you fund eSIM doesn't work for you.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Yeah the more I spent reading about esim the more I saw threads with people having problems. What I’m doing now works. What’s that saying - Dont change what works? Lol

True, but I think most eSIM related troubles currently come from carriers, who might still be too attached to the physical SIMs. However, with Apple putting more pressure on them, things might evolve quite soon:

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
It seems like there has to be a way to escalate past this issue. If I call to report my phone as stolen or destroyed, it makes no sense they'd still insist on using that device for 2FA. It seems like this is one reason, if not the main reason, AT&T has the account passcode.

The main reason for a passcode is that someone would walk into a carrier store, fake ID in hand, and they used to transfer SIMs and people would get their 2-factor bank/email/etc accounts hacked. So they need a passcode now and a person needs to know it to transfer, or they can do 2-factor. In times past my parents have reset the passcode basically every time but they need their phones to get the ability to reset the passcode.

If you know your passcode and you have photo ID you’re supposed to walk into a carrier store to get a new SIM, eSIM or physical, if you lost your old phone. But of course if you’re overseas then you can’t just walk into a store.

And yes, you can switch back to physical SIM. They wouldn’t make it so you can’t switch back to most phones. And most phones don’t have eSIM, just Pixel, Samsung (flagships), and iPhones.

Your old SIM card is good for as long as they accept its security. Periodically new SIM security gets implemented, and it means old SIM cards are obsoleted.

Slight warning, I don’t even know if they will activate a SIM when it’s outside of the AT&T network. Some carriers allow this, especially European ones. But some posts on reddit, regarding transferring physical SIMs, say they can’t transfer when not on the actual AT&T network. This is all just kind of hearsay, so grain of salt I guess.

My advice: 2nd phone, iPad, etc, some other device is a good backup if you’re really at risk of losing your main. This SIM switching overseas, doesn’t sound too promising. Google Voice lets you use a Voice line on every device you have. Also lets you use Find My iPhone and disable it remotely. Then return back and get a new phone and SIM in store.

Reactions: jk73

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
AT&T makes it harder than it should if for whatever reason your line is compromised. Like they want you in their store.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
Slight warning, I don’t even know if they will activate a SIM when it’s outside of the AT&T network. Some carriers allow this, especially European ones. But some posts on reddit, regarding transferring physical SIMs, say they can’t transfer when not on the actual AT&T network. This is all just kind of hearsay, so grain of salt I guess.

I've seen mixed reports, too, but I also found a fairly recent AT&T support message with a direct number for people to call if they need to activate a SIM while abroad, so it appears it might be possible. With AT&T now treating basically the entire Western Hemisphere as non-roaming, requiring verified customers to be in the U.S. to change phones and/or SIM seems like it would be an odd limitation.

My advice: 2nd phone, iPad, etc, some other device is a good backup if you’re really at risk of losing your main. ...

I always travel with an iPad and Watch in addition to my iPhone (plus, sometimes, an MBP). I'm not talking about trying to replace a broken iPhone on a weekend trip to Cancun. As I said earlier, I often go on very long trips. If I'm on a three-month trip to Asia or Latin America and something happens to my iPhone on Day 3, the iPad isn't a practical replacement — especially now that I have free roaming in the Americas and cheap roaming almost everywhere else via AT&T International Day Pass.

In any event, thanks again to all for the informative responses and discussion. When I started the thread, I thought eSIM was necessary to have multiple services stored/active on an iPhone, which I now know isn't true. Then I discovered, shockingly, that AT&T is allowing free, unlimited roaming in almost all of the Americas, which should substantially decrease my need for adding local SIM or eSIM when traveling. With those problems solved, now I'm trying to plan for the worst-case scenario of a stolen/destroyed iPhone in the early days of a long foreign trip. It seems like eSIM is better in such situations, at least in theory, assuming the eSIM is backed up and/or I've saved the relevant info., and AT&T can reactivate it while abroad.

Reactions: NYCValkyrie

jk73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
AT&T makes it harder than it should if for whatever reason your line is compromised. Like they want you in their store.

Well, maybe. We know that happened with you when you didn't have your account's passcode. It's not necessarily clear that it's true as a general rule.

I don't have any extra lines to play with, but it's possible that

http://www.att.com/activate

... might have solved your problem.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
Here's one more page I found at AT&T, which, as of May 2, 2022, says one can request a new eSIM and get a QR code from within the online account. Obviously, if AT&T requires 2FA to log in, we're back at square one.

Reactions: CommanderData

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
I'm in Australia and recently tried the move to e-sim. At first, everything went fine until I upgraded to the iPhone 13PM a few weeks later. Used Telstra's App to "transfer the SIM". It didn't work.

I tried the online support chat and they couldn't fix it.
Visited the store 3 times.

10 days later, my service was finally restored with a physical SIM. I learnt my lesson and will be sticking with physical for my primary line until the processes around the e-sims are more robust.

• Wow
Reactions: robotica

Cognizant.

Suspended
May 15, 2022
I've had nothing but issues with eSIM on my iPhones. Gonna go back to a single SIM again and just pay for a second number in one of those burner apps.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I can't speak for AT&T. But for Verizon, it was very easy for me to convert from a physical SIM to an esim. I did not need to go to the physical store. When I went from 12 pro max (physical sim) to 13 pro max (esim). I simply entered the IMEI2 of the 13 Pro max. then entered my phone number (needed to get the text verification and to activate it). After I followed the on-screen instruction on my phone.

However. if I wanted to go back to a physical sim, I'd need to request a new sim, either from Verizon or from Apple.

Reactions: BigMcGuire and jk73

OhMyMy

Suspended
Oct 21, 2021
On my Verizon family plan - most are sims but some are esims. I'd go esim but I'm reading that you can't use both lines at the same time when doing 2 esims (just sim+esim at same time).
As @jaytv111 said, 13 series allows dual eSIM setup. I’ve used T-Mobile and US Mobile both on eSIM until a couple weeks ago and they worked great.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
As @jaytv111 said, 13 series allows dual eSIM setup. I’ve used T-Mobile and US Mobile both on eSIM until a couple weeks ago and they worked great.
Wow Switch was instant and painless. Removed my sim - then did this using my imei2 - activate your eSIM device online.

I did have to deactivate my number from iMessage as my iPhone gave me a 29 day left warning saying I needed to insert my sim again, so I just removed my primary number from iMessage, and bam it re-appeared to activate on iMessage and good to go.

I have 2 lines on my esim. Mint Mobile and Verizon Wireless. And they both work :D. Did a reboot to make sure everything was good and it asked me to identify primary/secondary again.

Third reboot - all good. Called on both and verified they both work. 2 numbers on 2 different services via esim. 13 Pro Max.

Thank you!

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
When my new iphone arrives I turn it on and it asks me if I want to transfer my number to that new device. I say yes and it does it’s thing. But it is also possible to enter details manually. I love the argument against by someone who has never used it.

But why are you assuming this is happening in the middle of nowhere where there is no Wi-Fi anywhere? Does it happen? sure. Is that normal? No. Is there none where the replacement phone was purchased? At the hotel the traveler is staying at? At the airport? Every coffee shop? Are you in the middle of the desert by yourself and pulled the new phone out from the sand?

People really come up with the most ridiculous scenarios to stay in their old ways.
Apple seem to stand by my opinion about this being a hassle, since they are working on an easier way to switch eSIM between phones. I know that you think it is very easy already, but I suppose you are welcoming the fact that it will be easier still.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
eSIM has been working pretty well for me for Verizon Wireless and Mint Mobile. Took awhile to figure out what the default eSIM pin was so I could set my own pin. (1234 for Mint, 1111 for Verizon Wireless). Haven't had any problems. I PLAN on keeping my 13 Pro Max for another year but Apple always finds a way to get me to upgrade (yes, 100% their fault, not mine, cough). :p

Noticing absolutely no impact on battery life having 2 lines on one phone. Loving it because usually when Verizon Wireless has almost no reception, T-Mobile (Mint) is near max and vis versa - switching cellular is so easy (the phone tries to do it itself too).

Will be trying the bluetooth esim transfer when I get a new phone.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Apple seem to stand by my opinion about this being a hassle, since they are working on an easier way to switch eSIM between phones. I know that you think it is very easy already, but I suppose you are welcoming the fact that it will be easier still.

This was already a thing when using the Migration Assistant during an iPhone setup.

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
This was already a thing when using the Migration Assistant during an iPhone setup.

Only on Networks that support it. There are many networks out there that require you to visit a store, or use their app to transfer an esim to a new phone for example. As I stated earlier, I am on a network that wants users to use their app, but then it didn’t work for me and it took 10 days for “tech support” to get me back up and running…..which required going back to a physical sim.

I’m sure there’s networks out there with much more robust processes around esim’s and I’d recommend that you do significant research before going down that path.

Signing up and moving to esim was easy for me. The transferring it to my new phone experience sucked.

Reactions: AlixSPQR

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Only on Networks that support it. There are many networks out there that require you to visit a store, or use their app to transfer an esim to a new phone for example. As I stated earlier, I am on a network that wants users to use their app, but then it didn’t work for me and it took 10 days for “tech support” to get me back up and running…..which required going back to a physical sim.

I’m sure there’s networks out there with much more robust processes around esim’s and I’d recommend that you do significant research before going down that path.

Signing up and moving to esim was easy for me. The transferring it to my new phone experience sucked.
Well, in that case AT&T, for all the hassle it put me thru, made it easy. As when I migrated, the eSIM was migrated after the 12 Pro asked me if I wanted to migrate the eSIM.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019

I'm not sure this is the gotcha moment you think it is? My assertion has always been that eSIM technology is awesome as long the evolution of it is supported by the carriers. In the meantime, it's still not that hard but if you use multiple handsets, eSIMs isn't right for you. This will help make it easier.

This move will help force carriers to update/upgrade their systems to help those who may be less technically inclined. Or if they don't use iCloud because really, it's the same backend technology of alerting your carrier of a new IMEI. I still have never had issues switching devices other then when eSIMs first launched. The problems & road blocks people experience have almost always been due to the carrier.

But yes, I think it's awesome that it will become easier. I love it. I hope your carrier supports it.

Last edited:

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Haven't read the entire thread but when I travel internationally, I carry two devices ( even if I just use one at any given time ) and 2 new inactivated SIM cards ( one in my wallet, the other stored wherever I'm staying .. If I need to activate a new SIM for whatever reason, its very easy with TMobile )

I always use a physical sim on my primary and e-sim from the local provider ( if esim is not an option, I swap my primary SIM to the 2nd device which is usually another iPhone and set up identical to the first one )

Inconvenient as it may be, this works for me!

Reactions: jk73

Favourlord

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2022
Yes - assuming your iPhone is unlocked, of course.

There are two ways:

1) Via an app. T-Mo does this, at least for prepaid.
2) In "Settings>Cellular>Add Cellular Plan" You can scan a QR code, or enter the details manually.
How do you get the QR code

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.