Switching over from a PC should have been done YEARS ago

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jableskg, Jul 12, 2009.

1. jableskg macrumors regular

So i have to admit that i used to hate Mac's. Never understood the hype and was always a PC kind of guy. Now i'm eating those words since i made the switch 3 days ago and purchased a Macbook Pro 13". After dealing with a 4 year old Dell laptop that was literally on its last days i ponied up the money to get a Mac, and all i can say is that i'm blown away. My iPhone 3G was working better then my Dell and at times i felt my iPhone was my primary computer. Pretty sad.

Anyhow now that i got a new Macbook Pro and Mobile Me, life is easier :)

2. doox00 macrumors regular

I recently built a hackintosh and I agree, macs are very nice.. but I could not go without my pc.. I need both worlds.

I would like to get a mac pro eventually, then maybe I would just stick with the mac and dual boot windows when I need it.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm with you there, having used a terrible Compaq machine back before HP and Compaq merged, as well as a PowerSpec PC that seems to be on its last legs. I don't know why the name-brand Windows PCs are so awful... in fact, my next PC will be a custom-built one, because I don't like any of the PC vendors (except Apple).

4. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

5. iyacyas macrumors member

Welcome

Welcome to the Mac world and congrats on your purchase.

6. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

If you had switched too many years ago, it would have been a much different and much inferior experience. OS X was one of the best and smartest things Apple ever did.

7. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congratulations and welcome to the world of Mac. May you and your MBP live long and prosper together.

Cheers and god luck

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well, you might like OS X but that hackincrap doesn't qualify you as having a real Macintosh. Please leave the reviews to the people that are actually using real Macs. :p

To the OP: I just bought my 13" Macbook Pro 2.53 Ghz model and love it too. Congrats!!

10. doox00 macrumors regular

well I am really running osx, unmodified version from retail disc... so I think I can voice my opinion of the operating system, a mac is just a pc now anyway hardware wise.

11. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

I wholeheartedly agree. I've been using OSX for less than a few weeks now and absolutely love it. And to think, a year ago the thought of even touching a Mac horrified me(I used to make fun of Mac users like you wouldn't believe..."Nice Mac you've got there, have fun NOT being able to right-click", "Nice Apple logo", "So can it run Crysis?", "So how much did that cost again?", etc.)

The transition from Windows --> OSX was a LOT smoother than I originally anticipated - within 2 days I was able to do 95% of the stuff I do on a PC.

My only regret? Not switching earlier.

12. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

off-the-shelf PCs? ew.

macs are alright (they get the job done) and i've been a PC/ Mac user since the Power PC days, and I still think Macs are overpriced for the stuff that you do on them. i've yet to be convinced that the price they command is warranted. hackintosh? hell yeah. about d@mn time that train got rolling to level the playing field since i always hated the fact that Mac never let you swap out the guts of your machines.

can never get the Mac "image" complex that seems to be all too common as well...its a bloody computer that does stuff. whoopty doo.

13. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

Yeah that's pretty much what it's like. Windows fanboys should actually try Macs before speaking. They would fall a lot in numbers.

14. thesmoth macrumors 6502

Things have changed a lot. About 3-5 years ago my school had a lot of those plastic CRT imacs and they were TERRIBLE. They were incredibly slow, basically 15-20 of them in the library were frozen ALL of the time, and they were may more difficult to get anything done on. The library since then switched over to all PCs because they were such junk.

The new macs with intel seem to be way better, and now the library is actually buying new imacs.

I've had my 13" mbp and it's been great so far.

15. dlhuss macrumors member

well duh. i better hope you like one of the more expensive new laptops more than a cheap four-year-old laptop

it'd work the same way around if you had a four-year-old mac and got a new high-end pc laptop

16. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Congrats and I would have to say I had a similar story well 5 years ago...definitely worth trying mac and I will never go back

17. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

Not if you start having issues with Windows...

18. dlhuss macrumors member

funny thing is, my 1-year old mac has more issues than my 1-year old pc (no issues, actually), not counting the ticking timebomb of a graphics card in my mbp.

seriously, who are all these people with issues with windows? i own a thinkpad and it runs and runs and i have zero problems

19. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

People who use it extensively. And a lot of inexperienced users.
    For instance, I fall in the first category and I get more problems with a 1 month-old PC with a fresh installed Windows OS than on a 3+ year old Mac.

20. jableskg thread starter macrumors regular

I learned some more tricks today at an Apple store workshop and i stand by my first post :)

21. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

dun know really but i suppose a ton of folks that don't know jack squat have tons of problems and then there are those that end up having to wrangle with HW/ driver issues but know what they are doing. a majority of windows fanboys do talk smack but i don't see the big deal - XP..OSX..i use whatever works. i just can't stand the mac extreme fanboy talk and all the elitist tomfoolery that goes with it because a majority of the points ARE valid: you can't upgrade a Mac and it IS expensive for the money. hell, those are solid points that have solid proof and comprise my main gripe about Macs. that said, i've used Apple for years because I need to yet maintain that it is FAR from being the one-all-to-end-all OS and platform. problems with a fresh windows install focuses on deeper issues with your machine, not the OS itself. HD problems, driver issues, firmware problems and such all affect how an OS properly writes to run a machine. if all of these parameters work properly and if you know what you are doing, you shouldn't have a problem.

i use my PC a lot..a helluva lot. i use my Mac for hardcore number crunching on data analysis software (National Instruments Labview and Mathlab) and i've never had a problem with it being funky. ditto for my PC which also is used for video editing and music recording. only case i had was a dead drive (Maxtor) a few years back and a bad video card (Radeon) with an overheating chip. otherwise, my PC has always been rocksolid and I had a P4 on an Abit board before upgrading to a C2D chip running on a Gigabyte mobo. rocksolid since the day I built the thing. between XP and OSX - i never had a problem either and I run a slew of HW peripherals for my recording and video editing gear to take care of audio recording and conversion tasks.

one thing i do to every new Mac is wipe the thing clean and install only the things I need on it. i wipe all the BS programs off and deactivate all the annoying animation crap which doesn't make my jobs any easier. i do the same thing to windows. the less BS, the better your machines can be maintained and the better they will run with the necessary drivers installed.

cool.

22. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

But some feel obligated to protect/defend their OS platform.
    Don't have a mac but have a number of PCs. I haven't had any driver issues with XP and with vista sp1 those machines have been rock solid. Win7 no issues there either.
    I am sure that some mac users and some windows users look at a computer and the thing stops working. :rolleyes:

23. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

4 year old laptop, I have a dell insprion 5150. it was a nice machine in its day but today's new $400 dell laptop will run circles around it.

24. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

If you feel this way then why do you have the Macs that you do in your sig? I'm completely lost how anyone can say that Macs are overpriced for what they offer and yet they still BUY them??Whatever....:rolleyes:

25. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

yeah. odd though isn't it? I'd jump to Win7 as well but I don't know if my audio HW will immediately support the new OS and i might run into some upgrade pains in going from 32 to 64 bit. i'd always opt for stability over bells and whistles. OSX has been rocksolid for a while and i am not about to mess with any upgrades in fear that it will mess with my HW.

bottom line, some stuff is good on OSX and some good on Windows. i pray for the day when a comprehensive OS is made to obliterate the camps established by apple and windows so i don't have to have all this cr@p crowding my studio space. i can only hope because the companies in question aren't THAT dumb to let that happen.

the PC's main selling point is versatility and sheer upgrade-friendly platform..something i know apple will have a tough time accepting because they make so much money on folks who are willing to buy into the image (and experience), no matter what the cost of getting an Apple. the money is simply too good and there folks who follow it so blindly its scary. 3K for a laptop that doesn't do EVERYTHING I want in one box? you've GOT to be bloody kidding me. to Apple's credit, some stuff they do have is intuitive by design but i like tweaking my stuff and knowing that i have the freedom to pop open my computer's innards and code if I choose to do so. know how long it took Apple to work up the sense to include a command line in the OS? years. i was bashing code well before Apple worked up the sense to give people a way into OS without me having to h@xor my way into my Mac so imagine my surprise when terminal came out. whoopty doo. now, Steve-o Jobs can start working on swappable (upgradable) parts so my 1st gen G5 doesn't get tossed into the metal junk pile when it decides to die..i'd hate to use the thing as a box for my chicken to lay eggs in.