Switching phones will lose iPhone Unlimited Plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tom2847, Jun 17, 2010.

1. tom2847 macrumors regular

So, I have found someone who will buy my iPhone for $300 and I was just about to sell it but I called 5 at&t stores and 2 times to the AT&T help line thing and asked them if I take my sim out and put it in my Samsung Solstice, will I lose my data plan.

They ALL said yes and that overnight the servers will be updated and It will see I have the Samsung and drop the iPhone plan and not be able to get it back. They ALL said this and they said they don't recommend doing it until I have iPhone 4 in my hands.

I have told the buyer that I am going to wait until next week to sell and she said she will see if she is still interested then. This sucks but I am not risking losing my unlimited plan. :(

What is the deal with this? Why are there so many different people saying different things?

2. tom2847 thread starter macrumors regular

3. boatski macrumors regular

No, if you just do an upgrade you will keep your current plan.

4. Daniel L macrumors 6502

I sold my 3GS almost a month ago. I preordered the iPhone 4 on ATT premier and was given the option to choose the unlimited plan.

When I log into account management it shows me using the Nokia 6061 phone on my line with a unlimited data plan attached.

IMO, you can swap phones, just don't tell them to take off your data plan or anything like that.

5. fuzion macrumors 6502

Unlimited data..... or an iPhone unlimited data plan? AT&T has iPhone Data Plans, Blackberry Data Plans, Smartphone Data Plans, and Medianet

More than likely, you're going to loose it. The network does sweeps at night and the system will update itself.

I remember tinkering with OS 3 beta before MMS was official, I took my iPhone sim out, put it in an older phone, sent MMS messages back and forth.. put it back in my iPhone, fired it up, sent and received one MMS then it stopped working again.

I also had an older carrier file which allowed me to tether, I went to enable it via bluetooth in the car w/ my MBA.. It would connect and then immediately disconnect. I rebooted the iPhone... BAM! Tethering options were removed from my phone.

6. tom2847 thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, they said the network does sweeps at night and it will update. Said if you are not on a iPhone, it will remove the iPhone Unlimited plan. Forget that, I am not taking ANY chances.

7. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I sold my iPhone 3G at least 2 months ago now and I still have the iPhone unlimited data on my account.

8. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

All this talk about losing your unlimited if you switch your sim card to another phone is a bunch of BS. You are getting billed for the iPhone plan, why the hell does it matter if you actually use the iPhone or not. The grandfathering has to do with having an unlimited data plan, not specifically an unlimited iPhone plan. There are plenty of people that don't have iPhones that have unlimited data plans. I sold my iPhone and put my sim in an old nokia smartphone. I'm damned if I'm going to lose my unlimited plan. What if I had broken my iPhone and had to use a spare until I could get a replacement, would that void my data plan? Of course not. Everyone is so paranoid about losing their unlimited that they cook up all these assumptions and then confirm it with some nudnick at AT&T who doesn't know what they're talking about. If you have an unlimited data plan and don't cancel the plan (moving your sim does not cancel your plan) then you'll be grandfathered.

9. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

+1 .. The phone I have been using for at least the last 3 weeks hasn't even been a smartphone, just a dumb Samsung A177.

10. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

Previous iPhone owner = NO!

First time iPhone buyer = YES!

11. gl4662 macrumors member

As I currently have a individual plan with unlimited data, will att still offer the unlimited data plan @ 30 dollars a month on the family plan or did they switch to 2gb now?

12. thatsmyaibo macrumors regular

If you have unlimited data, you can keep it as long as you don't let you contract lapse. That's straight from AT&T.

13. gl4662 macrumors member

okay so to clarify if I upgrade and keep my current plan im fine. If i upgrade and switch to a family plan that ulimited is gone?

Now out of curiosity, is 2gb a lot for data?

Also, is the 2gb perphone on the plan or total?

thanks

14. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Each phone on a family plan would have its own separate data package. So, if you have a family plan consisting of four smartphones, then you'd be paying between $60 per month and $100 per month in data fees alone, to outfit each of them with some combination of 200MB and 2GB plans.

15. Odid macrumors regular

I'm keeping my unlimited data plan.

But if I add a line, do I have to get the new data tiers? of 200mb vs 2GB or can I get unlimited on that too?

16. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Any new iPhone can only get the $15 or $25 data plans.

2GB for $25 is a lot of data, 98% of people use less than that. And judging by your questions, I'd say you fall in that catagory. Look at your data usage history on the AT&T website. Chances are you should drop to the $25 plan unless you like giving AT&T more money for no real reason. You might be able to use WiFi more and drop to a $15 200MB plan if you data usage is close.