Switching services, buying iPhone 3GS, and applying FAN discount question...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by incognit0, Aug 14, 2009.

1. incognit0 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

So I've decided to take the plunge and become an iPhone user. I will be buying a 32GB iPhone 3GS, but am in a bit of a quandry. I have researched this thoroughly, but am a bit stuck. Perhaps someone can help me with the order of the steps.

- I am currently a Verizon user, but my contract is up. I am a free agent, and will be switching to ATT, and thus I qualify for the discounted $299 32gb iPhone 3GS with the purchase of a 2 year contract.

- I qualify for a FAN discount. I got my email, and clicked the link to use it to purchase my iPhone 3GS and the contract online, thus applying the discounts I am entitled to under FAN (20% off service + waived activation fee) . Here is where I run into a problem:

When I try to buy the iPhone 3GS, it does not show up. It appears that the FAN discount works for the service, but only if I buy a phone other than the 3GS (3G does appear).

My questions are:

- Is this standard? Does the FAN discount not apply for the 3GS?
    - What would be the best course of action to:
    A. Buy the iPhone 3GS for the discounted price with a new 2 year contract agreement.
    B. Apply the FAN discount so I get 20% off my service bill and my activation fee revoked?

Not sure how to approach this. Can I go to Apple, buy the phone and plan, and subsequently apply the FAN discount/waived fee afterwards?

Appreciate the guidance.

incognit0

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Apple, I believe, won't be much help with FAN application..

You can

a) go to AT&T and buy it there and they'll have you fill out/they'll verify your FAN discount there

b) Buy the phone at apple but don't have it activated - go to ATT and or do it online

ETA: you can add the FAN at any time - now or 10 years from now. Obviously the sooner, the sooner you'll start saving... But they don't have to be at the same exact time.

3. incognit0 thread starter macrumors newbie

In regards to (b): But then I pay full price because I haven't activated it with a new 2 year contract, right?

If I can add the FAN discount at anytime, then can't I just go to the Apple store, buy and activate the phone, and then apply the FAN discount later? But then I suppose this won't get my activation fee waiver off? Regardless, can someone confirm that I can apply the FAN discount online once the phone is activated?

Thanks,

incognit0

4. christyn macrumors 6502a

You can apply the discount through the email you recieved after you buy the phone. It gives you the option of applying a FAN with a new contract, or adding it to an existing account

5. incognit0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent. Thanks for the reply. So in that case I can go directly to the Apple store, and they will also set me up with a new ATT plan, correct? Once that is done I will apply the FAN discount online through ATT Wireless.

Thanks.

Also, what is the best way to attempt to apply the U200 and CLL2 discounts?
    I suppose if I don't get the plan online, than I will have to try to do that over the phone?

6. incognit0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anyone answer this last question?

Thanks

incognit0

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Call 611 and tell them to add them. Also explain you are a college student with a FAN# from your college.

8. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

You can read this thread, especially the last couple of pages on what to do with codes.

9. Reclaim3r macrumors regular

If you're switching to AT&T, send me an email at reclaim3r@gmail.com

I can get you a 25$ AT&T gift card for referring you.

10. incognit0 thread starter macrumors newbie

EMail Sent. But would I have to order online? I'm going to the Apple Store to pickup my phone in an hour... so get back to me!

11. Reclaim3r macrumors regular

I replied... And I don't believe you would have to order online