Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Minicube

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
To people who have already done both switches; how does the difficulty level compare? I've added RAM and switched a HD in a 2009 mini; I'd say it was moderately+ difficult for me. Is the 2011 HD easier or harder to switch IYO?

falterego

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Southern California
I'm wondering as well. Someone posted a very detailed series of pics for their drive upgrade, and I can't find the thread now. I'm thinking about putting a SSD in as my primary but I don't want to run into one of those 'oops i'm out a thousand bucks' moments.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
To people who have already done both switches; how does the difficulty level compare? I've added RAM and switched a HD in a 2009 mini; I'd say it was moderately+ difficult for me. Is the 2011 HD easier or harder to switch IYO?

I'm wondering as well. Someone posted a very detailed series of pics for their drive upgrade, and I can't find the thread now. I'm thinking about putting a SSD in as my primary but I don't want to run into one of those 'oops i'm out a thousand bucks' moments.

having done more then 60 2009 minis and now 4 2011 minis only single drive 2.3 2.5 2.7 no server. it is a push. but I do lots of small work and have lots of tools lighting etc. the 2011 server is coming I will let you know if it is harder. I posted the thread on the one drive 2011 minis

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1194678/

It is easier to break the 2011. make sure you pull things apart correctly. good light good tools good eyes or good glasses. don't muscle anything exception putting the grill back may need a tiny bit of bending it does flex a bit.

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
If you replace the standard 5400 rpm / 8 Mb cache with a 7200 rpm / 16 Mb cache then use the Seagate 320 Gb Momentus THIN (ST320LT023). This is 2 mm thinner than the normal 2.5" / 9.5 mm HDD and with a bit of wiggling you can manage just to slide it in/out without having to remove the logic board (after you remove the black plastic edge). It is also a very quiet HDD.

This can also work with the Intel X25M 80Gb SSD (5/6 mm thick) except there the plastic edge is held in place by four screws which needs replacing with shorter ones. And that invalidates the warranty.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.