Switching to Blackberry Bold...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by leez, Jan 19, 2009.

1. leez macrumors regular

leez

...and just wanted to say thanks for everyone here. Great forum and great support. Why I'm switching ? Features, keyboard and upcoming Palm Pre - which will give the market a great spin. And Apple with iPhone - they're very slow with the updates etc. Was waiting for a good GPS and... I simply can't wait anymore. Got bored. Thanks again anyway and maybe see you soon, next year :).

2. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Bold, ew. Pre, yay!

Good luck. I don't think the pre is dropping until June so I think i'll wait and see what Apple pulls out of the hat. If it's a big dud i'll probably be doing the same thing.

3. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

If I were going to make the switch from using my iPhone, I would switch to the Bold as well. That really is a great SMARTPHONE. My co-worker has one and it is amazing. The OS speed is lightening fast. I am certain you will be happy. The UI is not as pretty, but the phone will do everything you need it to do and then some! ;)

4. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

5. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I still haven't figured out why people come on here and announce! that they are switching to BB or another smartphone...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Well, even though they are not saying what you want them to say, or even if you totally disagree with them, they may be offering some information that someone finds valuable. We get people coming on this forum everyday asking for information about the iPhone or asking what they should buy, well threads like these are able to give them some insight about potential weaknesses. Its probably best people know both sides of the story before they buy.

7. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

The Bold is a brilliant smartphone. GPS, 3G speed, chic leather back, and the level of performance you expect from a BlackBerry.

BB maps stinks and its browser sometimes is a bit lacking. You'll want to download google maps and the opera browser. Mobileshark supports tethering for a one time fee. And of course there is twitterberry, facebook, myspace, and all your other favorite sites and messaging networks.

The Storm will be out on AT&T and T-Mobile likely in time to keep you away from the next iPhone, and a slide out keyboard model is rumored. That Palm Pre will be lucky to be remembered in two years.

8. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I don't think the current version of the Storm will act like much of a competitor until they redesign the concept of typing emails and texts without waiting for the tactile feedback. I used my friend's Storm for a few hours and it made typing unbelievably slow.

And I tend to agree with that comment about the Palm Pre, there is just something about it that makes me think that it won't catch like the iPhone or BlackBerry Bold.

9. The General macrumors 601

Slow and utter garbage? I'm sorry but every BlackBerry I've used has been an unusable heap of dog feces.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Good luck with the transition to the Bold. To me, it looks like a great phone.

11. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Good choice get a phone that meets your needs, now if only the other MMS, camera, GPS whiners would do the same.

12. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

The BlackBerry isn't for everyone. There are a lot of people who would say the same of the iPhone.

13. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Exactly if there was one phone that met everyones needs there would be one phone.

for those of you that really don't like any of the phone offerings get an engineering degree, get hired by one of the companies and design one, or take your billions and start up your own company.:p

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Goodluck, my brother has that phone and it is a very good phone...was gonna switch to it but couldn't find a cheap deal. So now i'm waiting for the Pre

15. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Good luck. See you back here in a month or so, after you've tried using it as your day-to-day phone. :)

[I'm speaking as someone who tried and failed to do just that.]

As for an iPhone replacement, I'd recommend the Nokia E71. It's 3G (3.5G actually), is much thinner and lighter than the iPhone, has awesome battery life, supports three or four different types of "push" e-mail (including IMAP IDLE), uses microSD for expandable storage, supports H.264 and AAC, and has an actual keyboard with a predictive autocorrect that doesn't make me loathe the phone. App installation isn't as integrated of a process, but it's pretty damn easy. I can sync it wirelessly via Bluetooth, or tether it via Bluetooth or USB (both supported, manufacturer-sanctioned features.)

Oh, and you can buy a one unlocked direct from Nokia for half the cost of a PAYG iPhone 3G.

I'll write up a detailed review/comparison some time, but suffice it to say that if you can deal with a non-Apple device and a slightly smaller screen, the Nokia E71 beats the iPhone pretty solidly in a lot of areas.

16. cwosigns macrumors 65816

cwosigns

I may be in the same boat myself soon. While I really like my iPhone, I'm getting frustrated.

1. The Push Notification System that was to be released in September is nowhere in sight. Not being able to have applications run in the background is ridiculous. Apple missed their deadline and, in standard Apple style, didn't say anything. No "Hey, we're still working on it" or anything. Ridiculous.
    2. MobileMe has been an epic failure to me. My iPhone will not get push email reliably at all, and I live and die by email. It works for about a month, then stalls. I can't call for support, I have to chat with someone on the internet who insults my intelligence by blaming the network or WiFi. Apple can't seem to get this right, either.
    3. No cut and paste. Enough said.
    4. Very closed system regarding 3rd party applications. This inhibits innovation.
    5. No MMS feature.

I realize that some of these things were never announced by Apple (cut & paste, MMS, etc), but the PNS and push email were and were two reasons I got the iPhone 3G. I feel like Apple has dropped the ball on what could have been a truly great product.

Will I miss Safari, YouTube, and easy syncing of photos, music and video? Of course. But I need a device that can handle email reliably and no one does that better than BlackBerry.

17. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Why is everyone so harsh about the iPhone? Personally, I think we're kind of spoiled by Apple that we get updates as often as we do. Blackberries have been around for a long time and this is only Apple's second year of being in the phone business. Things take time. I'll be the first to admit... I hate waiting around too, but I don't think Apple would like to release any more half-baked services *cough* MobileMe *cough*. Hopefully when/if they do release push, it will be working well.

Enjoy your new phone though. Without other phones out there, everyone would have an iPhone and that would suck. I love my iPhone and I wouldn't trade it for a Blackberry.. ever.

18. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

I've used(not owned) both the Curve and 8800 and I can tell you that the Bold is vastly better in terms of performance than either. It's really a great piece of hardware. The OS is a great improvement over previous Blackberries but still lacking in some areas.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Man i just really dont get why people change phones so often. When I get one I know ill be keeping it until its either broken or just too outdated to serve much of a purpose anymore, like I do with a computer.

Are they like fashion things now?

Note that I'm not criticizing anyone for how they do things, im just asking- why?:confused:

20. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I agree. It must be very expensive.

As for fashion, being the media's darling, the iPhone is definitely a fashion accessory - haven't you seen all the celebs with them, flaunting them (along with their toy dogs)? My wife loves to tell people that she has an iPhone (I already told her that once it gets stolen, then she will remain phone-less).

21. Lara F macrumors 6502a

I don't live by email so Blackberry's not for me, but having Slingplayer *now* would sure be a bonus (assuming you're not switching carriers to a Verizon/CDMA version). If you don't have one, definitely consider it. :)

22. slapppy macrumors 65816

Wait for the Pre. I think Apple was caught with their pants down this time. I expect huge dissappointment with whatever huge update that will be coming from Apple. Six months is just too little too late for catching up.