Switching to Mac, still a reasonsble thing to do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by emir, Apr 9, 2010.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

Hello. I am a pc user for 10 years now and i am 18. I happen to buy a new computer every 4 years. 2 years ago, which was my second year on my current computer, i decided to switch to mac. I liked Apple. Mac sales were going up the roof. Everyone was satisfied and Apple was doing a great job. This summer i am going to get a MBP, but looking at things Apple recently did, is it still a good idea? They seem not to care about Mac at all. They do some silly products like iPad and sell them with marketing strategies, make a new phone os which treats their still selling 3G phone like junk...

Is it to me or is Apple on down these days? It looks like their future is not so bright. Do you think their future is bright? Should i switch to a mac? Thing is i am really unlucky and i'm afraid that when i get a Mac microsoft will make great things and be the super one again. What do you think?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Haven't you already switched to a Mac?

Updates are coming, they just took a lot longer this time around.

3. richmlow macrumors regular

emir,

Long live the Mac!!

Apple is doing great and their computing platform is exceptional! Buy the MBP and enjoy it. =)

My system: Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, nVidia 9400M GPU, Mac OS X 10.6.3

It's a rock-solid system and I'm very happy with it.

richmlow

4. johtaja macrumors newbie

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

I think you need to stop reading all of the rest of the net and the comments made by others and learn to form your own opinion about things.

The iPad my be silly to some people, but not to many, many, others. For example, why all the sudden are there so many other contenders in the news? Why is that?

And did you really read the specifics about OS 4. All of the features will work on a 3G phone, *except* for a few, like multitasking. 90% of iPhone users could care less about multitasking or even the ability to have folders and folders of apps, or exchange support, or even gaming -- and the list goes on. I can think of at least a dozen iPhone users I know that fit this category.

How about this: Apple has been declared dead 53 times since April, 1995.
    http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/death_knell/

how about this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcUicfqelC8
    would you call the iPhone a flop?

How about: Since before you were born I have never owned a PC or run Windows in any way shape or form, not even at a job I have worked at.

6. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

yes you are right about those, my purpose is not to say Apple is going bankrupt. COnsider that i am not Us citizen and i am not living in Usa. I live in Europe but a country which doesn't officially have Apple, we have it by distributors and they are expensive. That is why if i get one i will tell a friend in usa to bring one while coming. It seems to me that they are not on their superb years like 2-3 years ago. Considering i will not get support and etc... is it worth switching? I think it is but i must be sure cause i always have tough luck. I hope they stop innovating these multi-touch mobile devices for now and focus more on their Macs and notebooks etc...

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

They don't stop innovating, and it is not that they only have one team of engineers/developers that they switch around for every product, they have dedicated staff for almost every product.

So if you can wait, wait, or buy now if you need it now.

Btw, the reason to switch for most people is Mac OS X and not the underlying hardware, which is often a big plus nonetheless, but if Mac OS X only came on ugly DOS boxes, many would still use them.

So what it comes down to, do you want to switch to Mac OS X, or are you perfectly fine with Windows or any of the Linux versions out there?

8. Jamuke macrumors newbie

Don't buy one at the moment and please dear god do not buy a core 2 duo model. I could not stomach spending that much money on such outdated technology. I know people are going to say differently but most people that would recommend spending a grand or more on 3 year old tech, when you can get a PC with much better specs for half the price obviously aren't sane/total fanboys.

Wait for the refresh and then if you still dislike the way apple is operating, then don't buy it. If the refresh is this month I'm going to get a macbook pro, if not i'll be buying a laptop from sony.

9. Xenophon macrumors regular

You should make up your own mind

The OS is a definite advantage and a dream to work with, the hardware I'm not so sure about.

Designwise it's top-notch but since switching to Mac a bit more than one year ago I've had to shell out for a new laptop battery (original one in my alu macbook gave up after 13 months/142 cycles and no, they do not consider that a construction defect), my wireless mighty mouse caught a blocked scroll-button and nothing I did could restore it to health, I received a new one which is also blocked up in the mean time and to conclude some fine dust somehow got into my lcd cinema display (8 months old) and is stuck to the inside of the screen so off I go again to the shop.

Perhaps I'm just unlucky but those things don't inspire a lot of confidence, especially given the fact that their price level is quite a bit higher than for a pc with comparable specs (especially in Europe with all the taxes and Apple's 1 USD=1 EUR policy).

Anyway, I like the OS a lot and am a sucker for sleek design so I guess I'll just pay up and shut up, you should decide for yourself.

10. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Hmmm... Might I ask how you made the informed decision to stay with Mac, rather than try Windows? You clearly didn't learn to form your own opinion without reading the rest of the net and other comments to avoid Windows. No one makes the decision to stay with one brand for so long without a) trying the other products but sticking with what you have or b) listens to others opinions on products and makes their decision. Either that or you're closed minded and don't want to know what others are doing.

Anyway, this is an internet forum for Mac users alike, it's no doubt 99.9% or people having an opinion on things, others reading it, and then making their own decisions. There's nothing wrong with someone coming here and asking for opinion.

11. ready2switch macrumors 6502

ready2switch

Opinion from a fellow switcher

While it may seem that Apple is focusing all of its energies on the new mobile devices, Mac OS X is still an amazing system. Let me just say that even if Mac is 3rd or 4th priority for Apple right now, I would still rather work on an ignored Mac/OS X than on the best Windows system out there.

12. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

It all boils down to whether or not you like the direction of Apple. It also depends on the type of user you are - all Mac, 1/2 Mac and 1/2 Windows/other, all Windows or open source. It sounds like you already use Apple so if you are happy then great. If you are a 1/2 Mac and use Windows more then go back if you aren't happy. If you are open source why are you here? :)

I only use Apple now. I used to use both but really wanted one system. I chose Apple for the integration and quality. I can only speak for myself though.

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I'm not sure which Apple _you_ are looking at, but Apple's future is so bright, you can get sunburn if you don't watch out.

And do you really think that the iPad is "silly" and sold through marketing? I see it as a big and courageous step into the right direction, making something that can handle most computer tasks without being a computer. For 70% of all netbook users and 50% of all laptop users, the iPad would have been a better choice of computer for them. This year, netbook sales will slow down because of the iPad. Sure, there are geeks who don't get it. But where I am sitting right now, I am surrounded by a bunch of top software developers, and each one of them _wants_ an iPad. Plus at least three wives who want one.

The iPhone 3G does exactly what you paid for. With iPhone OS 4.0, it will do more than you paid for. Not as much as a 3GS, but more than what either phone does right now. So you call this "junk"? Reality check, please. People bought this phone, and it will improve with iPhone OS 4.0. What more do you want?

14. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I switched approx 7 months ago when I started my college. They gave me a Mac. Since then I have owned.. 4 now. OSX is a great operating system that still really does perform under Core2Duo processors. Performs well, especially when you throw an SSD in and let the chip have some room to breathe. Also add some ram. If these computers looked generic and still had OSX I would get one if I could. After my introduction mind you.

Until I started school I was pretty anti Mac.

Now I am anti pc.

Personal choice, but OSX is the absolute most stable operating system I have ever used. Just my honest opinion.

15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

2 years ago, Apple's Macs were the only way to go. In the past 2 years, Windows as an OS has caught up to OS X. Dell, HP, and others have learned the value of aesthetics, and it's not so hard to find a PC that's 1/2 the price and 99% as good as a Macintosh.

The problem I have, is I can not do a lot of my work on a PC, as I require Final Cut. So I keep my mac around. But I have a Windows desktop, Dell laptop, and contrary to popular belief, just because I pay under a grand for both, combined, does not mean that they have 20 flashing lights and are as loud as a vacuum cleaner.

In fact, I much prefer my eSata port on my laptop, and my million USB ports on my desktop.

But if you do go mac, make sure you wait for the refresh. The current stock of Macbook's are using about 8 month old technology, and cost about 3-4x what they should cost, given their specs.

16. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Well if that happens you buy windows next time round. The mac won't stop working just because Microsoft does well or Apple does badly.

Wait until the updates, and then the mac is a reasonable choice.

Apple does things that slightly take the mick - long update periods without price drops being the main thing. Buy at the right time so you can avoid that BS.

17. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I don't think it's a mutually exclusive proposition. It's fairly common for people to have more than one PC nowadays (a desktop and a laptop, a main workhorse machine and a netbook, etc.) so why not have one of each.

My main machine is a 15" MacBook Pro, one of the last models before they put in the unibody enclosure, black LCD bezel, buttonless trackpad, glossy screen, and non-removable battery. I intentionally bought an older model both because the refurb was cheaper and also because I didn't like the direction they went in with all these "features" I listed above.

My other machine is an Asus netbook which is a nice little travel machine but it's slow. I'm thinking of replacing it with a Windows 7-based ultraportable like the Acer Timeline 1410T series.

If my Mac were to die tomorrow, I'd have a tough time deciding what to replace it with.

18. AV8TOR macrumors regular

AV8TOR

I switched this year for our home computer and never looked back. I still use a PC at work however, but I am going to see if that can change when my lease is up.

19. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

I will definitely get a laptop when i graduate from high school and apply for college, which is about 3 months from now(wow that's a short time :D i just realized it i gotta study:D) I think i will just look for the update and decide. It's 80% Mac though.

If iPad is looking for the market who only checks facebook, e-mail, internet, listen to music watch videos etc... then that's fine but iPad is nowhere near it. The device needs a computer to work. If future versions does not need syncing with iTunes then i will stop calling it silly. It's current condition is silly except the ones who are needing big multi touch surface work.(architects, artist, graphic designers etc...) As i said, if the market of iPad is children and old people who use computer for internet etc... iPad needs to be a device standing alone, not needing iTunes.

20. TennisandMusic

OSX is not any better than Windows 7, and in many ways, it's worse. It is nice looking, but the hardware Apple ships with their machines is quite sub par overall. I still root for Apple to fix their problems and be the clear cut choice, but I don't see it happening any time soon, if ever. They are simply too focused on profit margins and consumer gadgets (By the way, I really like my iPad).

21. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You can call it what you like, but it reflects on you and your judgement.

22. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Apple is just a company trying to make a good profit. If their market research determines that a product can be successful, then they'll do it. You or I might call it silly but that's not our call to make. If the product sells well, and makes money, then it is successful.

I think 3-D television is silly, and yet here are all these companies already selling 3-D compatible TVs and 3-D glasses. Even Sony has promised a firmware update for the PS3 to support 3-D movie watching. Do you know how many movies are currently being sold that supports this type of 3-D technology? One! But if the companies determine there's a market, they'll go for it. If they're wrong (as I predict they will be) and the market dries up, then the product will fade away quietly and they'll work on the next big thing.

If the iPad fails, then Apple will discontinue it. Simple as that.

23. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

i am not trying or hoping to make Apple stop selling iPad anyway. It's just my opinion whether people like it or not.

24. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Purely subjective. I use both OSX and Windows 7; the latter in a corporate environment, and it's inferior in so many ways. Again, subjective and my opinion.

As for hardware; ya I'd love it if my 2 year old Macbook was an i(x) processor. But it out performs 2 new i5 Laptops in my work area with ease, both running Windows 7. Anything/everything they do on those laptops, I can do the same, and faster on my white MB. And I'm not referring to manual operations, but starting applications, performing computing functions, etc.