Switching to Verizon iPhone - any tips for avoiding ETF?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by badlydrawnboy, Apr 7, 2011.

1. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

I'm in the SF Bay Area, and I'm at my wits end with AT&T. Dropped calls all over the place, no reception in my home. I finally got them to give me a MicroCell for free. Now I have 5 bars on my phone, but it's still dropping calls - even if I'm standing 2 ft. away from the MicroCell.

I'm ready to take the leap and move to Verizon, but I'm disgusted at the thought of having to pay $250 ETF for my line and $160 for my wife's line (we're on a Family plan).

Is there any way I can get out of that fee? And is Verizon service that much better?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm pretty sure you'll have to pay the ETF. Luckily for you, selling your iPhone should cover those costs.

3. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I'm in the Bay Area as well and left AT&T for Verizon last month. We had to take a huge hit on ETF as well, but the sale of our 2 iPhone 4's will nearly cover the new Verizon phones and the ETF.

Data speed on Verizon isn't as fast as AT&T, but I'm getting a lot fewer dropped calls. I've had 1 dropped call in the last 2 weeks.

4. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Great, was hoping to hear from someone in the Bay Area.

Out of curiosity, how much did you get for your iPhone 4? Mine is 32 GB and in excellent condition. Did you sell on eBay or Craigslist?

5. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I sold it on Craigslist. I think we got $500 each. Could have gotten $550, but we were selling both to the same guy.

My husband traded his AT&T iP4 for a Verizon iP4 and he's a lot happier with the Verizon one.