Swollen Battery - MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

reddevil0728

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Second time in two years, I have to get the battery of MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) replaced due to swollen battery issue. Anybody facing the same issue?

Seems like there is inherent manufacturing defect of the battery for this model.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68000
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
I had a swollen battery once. Turns out my power supply was dying.

Or maybe it was the battery causing the power supply to work harder. Unsure now. But since the battery replacement, I used a new/different charger and still functioning just fine.

reddevil0728

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
I had a swollen battery once. Turns out my power supply was dying.

Or maybe it was the battery causing the power supply to work harder. Unsure now. But since the battery replacement, I used a new/different charger and still functioning just fine.
Mid 2015 MacBook Pro?

podiki

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
Lagovouni
Hm, mine is staring to swell, only 44 cycles, MacBook Pro 15" from 2015. Bought 18 months ago. I have an appointment at an APR this afternoon. Curious what they will say.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68000
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
When I brought mine in, they ran a diagnostic test, and did a physical check. It was obvious the battery was bulging, since my trackpad was practically frozen stiff. And the laptop rocks from side to side.

They gave me a new battery with fresh top deck, since it's glued together.

diggy33

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Yep, had a guy at work bring his machine in because he said it was warped. I took a look at it, and the bottom cover was bowed out, so I told him it looked like the battery was swelling up. I hadnt seen that happen since the pre-unibody machines, so I was pretty surprised. Sent it in to our warranty provider and they replaced the top cover, so he got a new keyboard out of it as well since its all one piece. His battery only had 200 cycles on it

76D32577-90CC-4A5B-B1C5-50B6FC97911F.jpeg

reddevil0728

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Yep, had a guy at work bring his machine in because he said it was warped. I took a look at it, and the bottom cover was bowed out, so I told him it looked like the battery was swelling up. I hadnt seen that happen since the pre-unibody machines, so I was pretty surprised. Sent it in to our warranty provider and they replaced the top cover, so he got a new keyboard out of it as well since its all one piece. His battery only had 200 cycles on it

View attachment 738770
mid 2015?

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Did Apple run any diagnostic tests using your specific charger? It could just be very bad luck, but it seems at least possible that the system, for some reason, is not terminating charging at the point that it should be.

reddevil0728

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Did Apple run any diagnostic tests using your specific charger? It could just be very bad luck, but it seems at least possible that the system, for some reason, is not terminating charging at the point that it should be.
not. no suggestion to test the charger was made.

podiki

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
Lagovouni
Just returned from the PSP. They will send a consumer claim to Apple, because the battery had issues within two years on purchase. There's a good chance apple will pay for it.

It seems this happens quite often with Apple laptops. I've had laptops for 22 years. Never seen this before. It's not ok if this happens, not even after 4 years.
[doublepost=1511874443][/doublepost]Oh, and I will get a new charger just to be on the safe side..

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

How many cycles on your -current- battery?

If it swells up on you again, and they replace it free again... well, just keep repeating it.
Hmmm... keep some records (perhaps a pic or two, etc.).
At some point you might have grounds to exchange the entire MacBook, not just the battery.

ChrisChaval

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
MGTOWn

View attachment 738770
some nice airbags you got there on this macbook

at least it won't break when dropped

reddevil0728

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
OP:

How many cycles on your -current- battery?

If it swells up on you again, and they replace it free again... well, just keep repeating it.
Hmmm... keep some records (perhaps a pic or two, etc.).
At some point you might have grounds to exchange the entire MacBook, not just the battery.
Not many, less than 200?
[doublepost=1511911553][/doublepost]
some nice airbags you got there on this macbook

at least it won't break when dropped
It might in fact explode :eek:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
seems like there's some intrinsic issues with Mid 2015 version of the macbook pro
Nonsense there is no way you can say that from such a small sample of millions of people that bought these machines, it is a risk with all lithium ion batteries and applies equally to all devices that use them. It is fairly rare but possible with any device that has one in from any maker.
Apples batteries, in my experience have been the longest lasting and most reliable in any device I have used but there is always the chance this may happen, I had to have one replaced in an iphone 5 for a failing cell.
The only way to avoid this possibility is to never use a device with a lithium Ion battery in it, good luck with that. :D

reddevil0728

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Nonsense there is no way you can say that from such a small sample of millions of people that bought these machines, it is a risk with all lithium ion batteries and applies equally to all devices that use them. It is fairly rare but possible with any device that has one in from any maker.
Apples batteries, in my experience have been the longest lasting and most reliable in any device I have used but there is always the chance this may happen, I had to have one replaced in an iphone 5 for a failing cell.
The only way to avoid this possibility is to never use a device with a lithium Ion battery in it, good luck with that. :D
Well, it maybe small sample, but that doesn't change the fact that there may indeed by some intrinsic issue. So it is not nonsense like you said.