Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

I want to reach out today to share my thoughts on our recent announcement to expand our game to offer a Free-To-Play option this fall. I’d like to give you some insights into why we made this decision, how it benefits you and how enthusiastic our team is about this new direction.

Since launch, our team has spent a lot of time trying to find new ways to be able to bring the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ experience to as many potential players as possible. We quickly became aware that our subscription only model was a major barrier for a lot people who wanted to become part of The Old Republic universe. In fact, many players who have left the game said they would happily come back if they could play without the commitment of a monthly fee.

We feel that flexibility and choice in playing our game is important for all current and future players. For that reason, we began the exploration of expanding the game to include a Free-to-Play option.

Starting this Fall, there will be two ways to enjoy the game. First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. Second, you have the option to play free to Level 50, with game play restrictions that limit game options and access to certain game content. Our goal is to ensure that our current players continue to receive the AAA content they are used to and enjoy the new rewards. To that end, I am proud to say that we have a lot of great new content coming your way, and that it will be coming more frequently. We have a great lineup in development including: a new Operation, Terror From Beyond, a new heroic mission series on the planet of Belsavis; a set of level 50 space combat missions for those looking for the ultimate challenge mode; introduction of a dangerous new Companion to accompany you; and for our PvP fans, a new warzone, Ancient Hypergate!

Starting today, you’ll be earning rewards as part of our new rewards program, making your current subscription more valuable than ever. Current and lapsed subscribers will earn 200 Cartel Coins for every paid month prior to today (July 31, 2012) and until the Free-to-Play option launches. For those who purchased the Collector’s Edition, we have an additional bonus reward of 1000 Cartel Coins for you. With Cartel Coins you can purchase convenience items, boosts, visually unique gear, collectibles, and more. The new Cartel Market gives you the option to add to your game play experience with items that fit your play style and allow you to customize your character.

Our team is extremely excited about this new plan. We are working hard and having a lot of fun preparing new content and items for the game. We believe that this is the right direction for our game – more choices, more options and more ways to customize your play experience to suit your play-style. We want to be able to keep our fans excited, engaged and having fun every time you login. We look forward to hearing your thoughts, suggestions and feedback.

Thanks for your support over the last seven months. We have the best fans in the business!

May the Force be With You.

Jeff Hickman, Executive Producer – Star Wars™: The Old Republic™

At least there will be rewards for players since the game started and even for people who got the CE of the game before today's announcement. Is this going to get new people into the game/or bring back others? What are everyone's thoughts on the restrictions for the F2P players?

Rhei

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
That's actually awesome. I've wanted to play but I hate paying monthly for an MMO where I feel that if I don't grind constantly I would be left behind. I wouldn't mind the F2P restrictions as long as they're reasonable, and I think it would be a good way for SWTOR to get some new/old returning blood. I'm pretty sure that others like me will definitely be joining once they announce their F2P model.

By reasonable restrictions, I mean in terms of skill training, equipment unlocks, etc. I understand that I'm not paying (though I am putting the time in) so I may not get that uber lightsaber or whatever, but as long as my character can be effective in pvp or group pve or whatever, I would be quite happy.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I would play it again if they had an OSX version, as it stands it's not worth using up me precious disk space in bootcamp partition.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
I'm gonna be optimistic before I make any judgement. Im gonna keep paying since I will be way past lvl 50 and wanna go above that.

Duouk2000

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2011
UK
Sweet, I've been interested in trying this for a while now but monthly subs put me off. I'll give it a shot once the free to play version's out.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I wonder how their subscription base is holding up? I've been there, done that. Regular players really seemed to muck up the Star Wars universe. Yes, it's my head problem. ;)

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
I wonder how their subscription base is holding up? I've been there, done that. Regular players really seemed to muck up the Star Wars universe. Yes, it's my head problem. ;)

I'm on a RP-PVP server so people are real story heavy and like playing within the Star Wars universe of style to play and when certain group missions come up they are really helpful on my server. Best online experience with people that I've ever dealt with honestly.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I would play it again if they had an OSX version, as it stands it's not worth using up me precious disk space in bootcamp partition.

This 100x! Seriously, I'm too old to be dealing with switching back and forth. Ok, maybe not too old, but it isn't worth the effort. Thus if there isn't a native client or an already existing Wine Wrapper, I'm not interested.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
This 100x! Seriously, I'm too old to be dealing with switching back and forth. Ok, maybe not too old, but it isn't worth the effort. Thus if there isn't a native client or an already existing Wine Wrapper, I'm not interested.

I will also never play it until they get an OSX version.

Well thanks to people wanting a free to play version its not gonna happen. I think BioWare is dumb for not supporting OS X, look at the success of Blizzard games. People don't care or know if they are playing with someone on Mac or PC, they just wanna enjoy the game. I don't mind using Bootcamp, all I do is play the game when Im on it, just restart my system and then go back into OS X, worth it IMO.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I don't mind using Bootcamp, all I do is play the game when Im on it, just restart my system and then go back into OS X, worth it IMO.

For me, I get maybe 1/2 hour at a time to play something. I don't like to waste 5 minutes rebooting. But even more important, I have so much stuff on my laptop that dedicating 40 or 50gb to Windows isn't realistic. In the end, to me, it's not worth it. But each their own.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
For me, I get maybe 1/2 hour at a time to play something. I don't like to waste 5 minutes rebooting. But even more important, I have so much stuff on my laptop that dedicating 40 or 50gb to Windows isn't realistic. In the end, to me, it's not worth it. But each their own.

And when you boot into windows there is a myriad of updates if you haven't used it for a couple of weeks, then you have to reboot a few more times and then your anti virus needs updated and then your half hour is gone.

I do use Windows a lot for gaming but I am getting to the stage where I would rather sacrifice my gaming and stay in OSX, currently the only gaming making me switch to windows is DayZ, if it wasn't for that I would just bin my windows partition again.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
Anyone have any invites available to play the free trial? Finally got my windows partition up and running.

2manyg

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2007
Northants, UK
Played this from launch with boot camp, loved it! Hated switching to boot camp though. Once I had finished the raids I quit. If they released an OS X client I would be back in the game!

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I've stopped playing because they don't have a Mac client. Rebooting was too much of a hassle.

I know, it's just a reboot, but having to interrupt everything I'm doing on OS X is a pain.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm on a RP-PVP server so people are real story heavy and like playing within the Star Wars universe of style to play and when certain group missions come up they are really helpful on my server. Best online experience with people that I've ever dealt with honestly.

For anyone who is thinking about playing SWTOR give it a try, it's free! :)

May 2012.

For a game that some thought would be a World of Warcraft killer, it seems like The Old Republic isn't doing so hot.

Electronic Arts made public the number of active subscribers for SW: TOR. Subscription numbers have tanked by 400,000 since February, when the number was at 1.7 million. 1.3 million subscribers is still a respectable number and nothing to scoff at, but considering that the game only launched in January, this doesn't bode well.

Part of SW: TOR's draw is also its bane. Having fully-voiced content and deep storytelling in a MMO is difficult to continue churning, especially at a rate that would upkeep player interest.

This is a problem for every MMORPG including WoW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.