SWTOR going free to play to Lvl 50.

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Beezzy, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Beezzy macrumors 6502

At least there will be rewards for players since the game started and even for people who got the CE of the game before today's announcement. Is this going to get new people into the game/or bring back others? What are everyone's thoughts on the restrictions for the F2P players?

2. Rhei macrumors member

That's actually awesome. I've wanted to play but I hate paying monthly for an MMO where I feel that if I don't grind constantly I would be left behind. I wouldn't mind the F2P restrictions as long as they're reasonable, and I think it would be a good way for SWTOR to get some new/old returning blood. I'm pretty sure that others like me will definitely be joining once they announce their F2P model.

By reasonable restrictions, I mean in terms of skill training, equipment unlocks, etc. I understand that I'm not paying (though I am putting the time in) so I may not get that uber lightsaber or whatever, but as long as my character can be effective in pvp or group pve or whatever, I would be quite happy.

3. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

4. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

I would play it again if they had an OSX version, as it stands it's not worth using up me precious disk space in bootcamp partition.

5. Beezzy thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm gonna be optimistic before I make any judgement. Im gonna keep paying since I will be way past lvl 50 and wanna go above that.

6. Duouk2000 macrumors newbie

Duouk2000

Sweet, I've been interested in trying this for a while now but monthly subs put me off. I'll give it a shot once the free to play version's out.

7. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

I wonder how their subscription base is holding up? I've been there, done that. Regular players really seemed to muck up the Star Wars universe. Yes, it's my head problem. ;)

8. Beezzy thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm on a RP-PVP server so people are real story heavy and like playing within the Star Wars universe of style to play and when certain group missions come up they are really helpful on my server. Best online experience with people that I've ever dealt with honestly.

9. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

This 100x! Seriously, I'm too old to be dealing with switching back and forth. Ok, maybe not too old, but it isn't worth the effort. Thus if there isn't a native client or an already existing Wine Wrapper, I'm not interested.

10. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I will also never play it until they get an OSX version.

11. Beezzy thread starter macrumors 6502

Well thanks to people wanting a free to play version its not gonna happen. I think BioWare is dumb for not supporting OS X, look at the success of Blizzard games. People don't care or know if they are playing with someone on Mac or PC, they just wanna enjoy the game. I don't mind using Bootcamp, all I do is play the game when Im on it, just restart my system and then go back into OS X, worth it IMO.

12. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

For me, I get maybe 1/2 hour at a time to play something. I don't like to waste 5 minutes rebooting. But even more important, I have so much stuff on my laptop that dedicating 40 or 50gb to Windows isn't realistic. In the end, to me, it's not worth it. But each their own.

13. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

And when you boot into windows there is a myriad of updates if you haven't used it for a couple of weeks, then you have to reboot a few more times and then your anti virus needs updated and then your half hour is gone.

I do use Windows a lot for gaming but I am getting to the stage where I would rather sacrifice my gaming and stay in OSX, currently the only gaming making me switch to windows is DayZ, if it wasn't for that I would just bin my windows partition again.

14. Nizkit macrumors newbie

Hear, Hear!!
    Let these words echo though out the universe :)

15. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Anyone have any invites available to play the free trial? Finally got my windows partition up and running.

16. Beezzy thread starter macrumors 6502

PM me your Full name & email, I got you tonight when I get home from work.

17. 2manyg macrumors newbie

Played this from launch with boot camp, loved it! Hated switching to boot camp though. Once I had finished the raids I quit. If they released an OS X client I would be back in the game!

18. macthismacthat macrumors member

macthismacthat

How far does the level cap go?

19. goMac macrumors 603

I've stopped playing because they don't have a Mac client. Rebooting was too much of a hassle.

I know, it's just a reboot, but having to interrupt everything I'm doing on OS X is a pain.

20. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

For anyone who is thinking about playing SWTOR give it a try, it's free! :)

May 2012.

This is a problem for every MMORPG including WoW.

21. Beezzy thread starter macrumors 6502

Its at 50 still as they haven't made an expansion yet but they're gonna raise the cap for Paid Subscribers once the F2P kicks in.

22. macthismacthat macrumors member

macthismacthat

Thanx for the reply