Swype

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by FFocuSS, Jul 7, 2011.

1. FFocuSS macrumors member

Just installed swype for my iphone. I heard it was only supposed to work with the stock iphone apps, but it definitely works in bitesms. Not sure how I feel about it, as I've never used it before, but it is pretty cool at the very least.

What do you guys think?

2. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

I've tried it on a few droids, and it awesome. Didn't know you could use it on bitesms, makes me wanna jailbreak. Stupid me, I upgraded to ios5 and can't go back.

3. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

Eh needs major work. Try typing words with double letters; next to impossible.

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

very early beta build; won't touch it until at least it provides the blue line...

5. joneildu macrumors member

6. Alveezy macrumors regular

idk why it keeps freezing or crashing after using it for some time. maybe because i have SMSEnhancer installed. but i really like it! i'll just wait till beta 3 or final if it stops freezing and crashing.

7. Norinion macrumors regular

It is a really nice program, but when using it without doing the actual swyping action, you tend to mistype a lot if you type fast. Also, it doesn't look like its using the phone's dictionary, for example "skype" will never pop up no matter how accurate you're typing. I'm going to uninstall it until its complete.

8. Norinion macrumors regular

Updated, its really good now, everything is organized, and is close to perfection, highly recommended.

9. Alveezy macrumors regular

same here! no freezes or crash yet...hasn't even slowed down either. the only annoying part is the spell check hovering. when i try to press the "x" which is right where send is, i ended up sending my unfinished message. hopefully on the next update, there's a an option to remove the spell checker. at least have a settings option. over'all much better than the last two beta's! haha he even changed the name to iSwipe!

10. trsblader macrumors 6502

So happy to see swype on iOS. I won't use it for my iPad, but it will definitely be going on my iPod Touch. I'm so used to swype now that i'm extremely quick on it compared to regular typing on the smaller keyboard

11. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

They need to move the little grey suggestion box on top of the text input preview. (where it says send)

12. Norinion macrumors regular

According to his twitter, he'll be fixing that soon, so much progress in 3-4 days. I wonder how well it will turn out.

13. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

I still don't like it. I had a Droid (when I temporarily switched to Verizon for about 3 months) and Swype was the best thing ever. Of course I could type fast just like I do on the iPhone - blazingly fast, but Swype was right up there in time, maybe a little slower, but so much easier. You could type with one hand, while doing other things, talking to other people. As long as you knew where the keys were, Swype made it easy to gesture your way through an SMS or whatever.

Sorry to say but this beta is still just so inaccurate that I wonder if it'll ever improve. I CLEARLY go to certain letters, very precisely, and it still comes out with a completely different word, or, only gives like 2 letters of the word, which makes no sense.

I could be inaccurate & messy with Swype and it'd always somehow figure out what the word I meant was.

14. TJone macrumors 6502a

I tried the newest version and did not like it either. It only seems to make text entry more difficult and less accurate. I think part of the problem may be the poor spellchecking in iOS. I wish it did work better because I can see how it would save time.

15. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

I also dont like it. It often gives me the wrong word which cause me to erase and start over plus it changes words when i type regular and fast.

16. bushido Suspended

bushido

i dont even understand how it really works, how does it know what letter i mean when i swipe over different onces, do i need to stop for a few seconds over each letter i mean or what?

17. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

18. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

I will consider jailbreaking JUST for this app as I loved it on my Android phones (I got into the Beta). But this is such an early build for iOS, it's not worth even having yet. Swype is a great keyboard for those of you who have never tried it, don't judge it by this pre-alpha bs. It doesn't even have the trace-line yet.

When it gets closer to the Android versions, and works natively in all apps, you'll be surprised how much fun it can be to slide your words instead of pecking them. :D

19. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

20. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

It has the traceline and also word suggestion now - and it works fine, but the major flaw is the only thing that matters which unfortunately is the biggest factor in performance. It's just too inaccurate. It is nothing like the official Android version of Swype. I know because I loved and used it for a few months as my only keyboard when I owned an Android phone. This doesn't even compare yet. Hopefully it can in the future.

21. akasch macrumors regular

What is the repo? Or where do I download it from?

22. hasek3139 macrumors 6502

swype works great except my delete button wont work as normal. if i prees and hold the delete button it wont work only tapping i works, anyone else having this problem?

23. Alveezy macrumors regular

that issue has been fix! make sure you have beta 0.3.0 because that's the latest and the dev changed the tweak's name to iSwipe.

24. fjd726 macrumors regular

Still a big downfall to this is that after swiping words, it's impossible to see what you have just written because the possible words are blocking everything. Is there a fix to this?