Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Sync .Mac Bookmarks by July 6th

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple has posted instructions to .Mac customers to sync their .Mac Bookmarks by July 6th ahead of the MobileMe launch.

While MobileMe will allow bookmark syncing between computers, it will remove the online web access to them. In order to preserve your bookmarks, you need to make sure they are synced to your Mac.

Apple's July 6th deadline opens the door to the possibility of an early MobileMe launch, which is expected to come by July 11th at the latest.

Article Link

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Absolutely. You can sync bookmarks even with MobileMe! The only thing that'll vanish is the web interface for viewing Bookmarks and the ability to manually add bookmarks through that interface!

Comment

kdog1176

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2008
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I received an email on 6/17 from the .Mac team telling me to sync .mac book marks to my mac before 6/30.

Comment

Anomaly770

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2008
Sorry to be losing the web interface. I'll miss being able to access my bookmarks when using a computer other than one of my own.

:mad:

Comment

AppleFan333

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2008
Absolutely. You can sync bookmarks even with MobileMe! The only thing that'll vanish is the web interface for viewing Bookmarks and the ability to manually add bookmarks through that interface!

Oh, good. I don't know about this interface, but as long as bookmarks sync, I'm happy.

Comment

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

So it looks like July 7th is the possible launch date for mobileme. I wonder if they will release the iPhone 2.0 firmware update before the release of the 3G iPhone.

Comment

ronainsworth68

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
Adairsville, Ga
Its never worked right for me anyway, bookmarks or contacts for that matter. Sync claims to be syncing them but I always have bookmarks and contacts on my mac that are not listed on .mac.

Comment

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…

So it looks like July 7th is the possible launch date for mobileme. I wonder if they will release the iPhone 2.0 firmware update before the release of the 3G iPhone.

I think Apple will release MobileMe on the 11th, alongside everything else, just so they can have 1 big event. Plus, it might tae a while to move everything from .Mac to MobileMe.

Comment

Mpulsive81

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
McKinney, TX
Sorry to be losing the web interface. I'll miss being able to access my bookmarks when using a computer other than one of my own.

:mad:

agreed. that's the only reason I really wanted .mac to begin with. I liked getting my bookmarks wherever I went without needing to have an iphone or itouch.

Comment

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I think Apple will release MobileMe on the 11th, alongside everything else, just so they can have 1 big event. Plus, it might tae a while to move everything from .Mac to MobileMe.

I dont think so. Apple will have to get MobileMe all settled and stabilized before iPhone 3G launch because as far as we can see, all documents clearly state that there will be no chance of compaibility with .Mac!

Secondly, July 11 doesn't really fall into the 'early July' category (does it?)

Thirdly and most importantly, Apple clearly mentions to complete everything before 6th JULY. (That definitely could also mean Apple will start shutting down .mac features slowly)

But after all this, it intuitively feels like its gonna be before 11th! What about you?

Comment

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
agreed. that's the only reason I really wanted .mac to begin with. I liked getting my bookmarks wherever I went without needing to have an iphone or itouch.

Yeah, agreed. So much for de-cluttering the interface to make it more gorgeous!

Guess we'll have to make do with copy-paste in TextEdit and upload to idisk public! :rolleyes:

Comment

MacEdit

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2007
Tuesday Anyone?

I think it makes complete sense that it would launch on Tuesday. That is asking for trouble if you have everything launch on the Day that the phone comes out.
Having it come out tuesday gives the current users a few days to start using it and let it settle a bit before they get a big jump in new accounts.
And since the phone sales start in the morning, they would have to have the update available before that so people can start using there phones right away and not have to go home and attempt to download iTunes 7.7 with how ever many millions downloading it all at the same time.

Comment

avigalante

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2007
New York City
I dont think so. Apple will have to get MobileMe all settled and stabilized before iPhone 3G launch because as far as we can see, all documents clearly state that there will be no chance of compaibility with .Mac!

Secondly, July 11 doesn't really fall into the 'early July' category (does it?)

Thirdly and most importantly, Apple clearly mentions to complete everything before 6th JULY. (That definitely could also mean Apple will start shutting down .mac features slowly)

But after all this, it intuitively feels like its gonna be before 11th! What about you?

I believe MacRumors already covered an article stating that MobileMe is set to launch on Friday, July 11th.

Here's a tidbit from Apple's official press release dated June 9th, 2008:
Pricing & Availability
MobileMe, available on July 11, is a subscription-based service with 20GB of storage for $99 (US) per year for individuals and $149 (US) for a Family Pack, which includes one master account with 20GB of storage and four Family Member accounts with 5GB of storage each. Users can sign up for a free, 60-day MobileMe trial at www.apple.com/mobileme and current .Mac members will be automatically upgraded to MobileMe accounts. MobileMe subscribers can purchase an additional 20GB of storage for $49 (US) or 40GB of storage for $99 (US) annually.

Comment

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
A "quiet launch" of MobileMe for current .mac subscribers on or around Tuesday the 8th wouldn't surprise me at all. As was mentioned, the new iPhones are going on sale at 8am Friday morning, so everything has to be in place before then anyway. But then again, they might just wait and flip the MobileMe switch at 8am EDT on the 11th as well.

Comment

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
Can anyone explain the rationale behind the removal of this excellent feature?

Comment

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
My quess

Can anyone explain the rationale behind the removal of this excellent feature?

Just a guess but that vast majority of users never used it.... yes I know there are people that use it but very few IMO.

You can however export your bookmarks to you iDisk - problem solved. (Im sure someone will come out with an automator app to do that as well)

Comment

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Syncing bookmarks has always worked well for me with .mac but I have never really used the web interface to add or view them from another computer. I could see why it would be useful though. With all of the great things that will be added to Mobile Me, I wonder why the decided to do away with this one?

At any rate I am still trying to figure out how FF3 handles bookmarks.

Comment

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I believe MacRumors already covered an article stating that MobileMe is set to launch on Friday, July 11th.

Here's a tidbit from Apple's official press release dated June 9th, 2008:

Now Apple as started shipping boxes as well. Cant see why it would do that if its as long as July 11th!

No... my guess is that July 11th is only for direct internet purchases! Apple will replace current users services slowly over time starting from july 6th!

Comment

richdun

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2005
New theory - Apple marketing gets lazy with dates and version numbers, and iTunes 7.7 launches on 7/7 (whether you prefer the MM/DD or DD/MM style, it's the same!). MobileMe, AppStore, and iPhone firmware 2.0 launch with it.

Comment

syklee26

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
can someone tell me whether Me.com's push email would work with blackberry? meaning, would the emails to me.com (or mac.com) be pushed to any blackberry device?

Comment

phalewhale

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
Just a guess but that vast majority of users never used it.... yes I know there are people that use it but very few IMO.

You can however export your bookmarks to you iDisk - problem solved. (Im sure someone will come out with an automator app to do that as well)

Excellent point! Bookmarks on iDisk.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.